Ol smoky the shovelhead - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #21
jeffy

Default Re: Ol smoky the shovelhead

so most of my parts are there, of course the wrist pin spirals are not part of what showed up.....hoping its in the mailbox instead of delivery truck. ugh!

next on my mind is......Hard break in or soft? Gonna have a hard enough time trying to just get shit together to head out, much less the amount of time needed to put a bunch of miles on before submitting it to 8hrs on the highway.

btw. ring gap alignment on the front cyl was also kinda weird as i paid specific close attention to where they were when i pulled it apart. the top compression rings were a little in from 90deg seperation probably closer to 60-70deg, and both were on the low side (exhaust) i will be paying a much closer detailed attention to ring location for sure on reassembly.

thanks for all the input thus far.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #22
jeffy

hahahahhaaaa. so my luck continues it looks like. if it aint broke dont fix it.......that shit exists for a reason. So riding my miles to try to get a few done before the trip, bike feels decent, cruising along. I hit a stop light and give it few quick blips to look for smoke, and lo and behold there it is again/still.....wtf. ah well she still rides good enough so fuck it. go home, feeling my tranny problems ( i know already its just a tight belt, mental note, adjust that when i get home) so once there i decide to pull the plugs and have a look, the plugs look great...both of them probably the best they have looked since ive owned the bike and through all the work and changes and rebuilding they look fantastic nice slightly darkerish tan color and that was put on to a used black ass set of plugs that i cleaned up a little. So no problems there and very happy with the plugs themselves, no current signs of oil burning or anything worrisome. so lets do a compression test (heres where the dont fix it if it aint broke comes in) the rear cyl that used to be fucked and had 75psi was looking fantastic at 115psi, buuuuuutttttttt the front cyl that used to look fantastic at 115-120psi is now sitting at 90-95 psi.......awwww, well fml. so im hoping maybe a little piece of trash that i didnt clean off of something to perfectly was hanging up in a valve seat for that exact bit of time or some other bullshit? who knows, and maybe the smoke is just an exhaust valve seal leaking past and burning up not actually IN the cylinder? who knows again.

but whatever, maybe the jimi paint is just helping it to find its identity and it WILL be old smoky? fuck it, couple extra bottles of oil will be along for the ride. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE BITCHES!!!! lol
Old 07-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #23
JAWS

75 is low.

You are holding the throttle open when you do your comp test, right? How many cranks or kicks are you giving it?

Squirt some oil in the cylinder and redo them. See if it bumps up a bit.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:21 PM   #24
jeffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
75 is low.

You are holding the throttle open when you do your comp test, right? How many cranks or kicks are you giving it?

Squirt some oil in the cylinder and redo them. See if it bumps up a bit.
75rear is what pushed me to rering and hone it out. it was a fresh top end rebuild but i ended up there after only 2000miles. the current numbers (after rering, hone, new gaskets are 115rear and 95front)

yes i am holding the throttle wide open, both plugs out and kicking somewhere 8-10 times id say. they both jump to 60 first kick then from there move up in even increments to their final.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:52 PM   #25
JAWS

Oh, ok. Misread what it said the first time. It had 70 and is now 115. Front at 90....did you try it wet? If no change then it isn't the rings..............

I saw you mentioned valves but it is smoking again? Sounds like you are covering the bases.

I assume you did the front hole too right, on the re-ring?

Breather.?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #26
image1

i wouldn't worry too much about 95, she'll be fine, just carry a quart with ya!

glad to hear its running well, see ya Thursday!!!

Random Chopper Goodness at the link below....
http://r4yl.blogspot.com/
image1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #27
jeffy

yeh, im not too worried at all. working on all the little loose end bullshit and comfort items for my boys bikes. trying to get a little sleep before but we'll see.

i rode it again this morning, still going fine. having more nonsense with kicking issues than usual (too much kicking not enough starting) but pulled the plugs when i got home and i am getting a little black on one side of the plug on the front cyl intake side, which also matches with the oil burn that i had before the rering, i assumed at that point that it was just blowing across from the rear cyl through the intake, but now im leaning heavily towards the intake valve seal.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:46 PM   #28
JAWS

Got a leak down tester?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #29
jeffy

no do not have a leak down tester jaws.

i wont deny a slight bit of oil burning. but after a few days on the road, im starting to realize an absolute carb issue that is giving me some fuel smoke. it definitely gets loaded sitting at an idle or even under low load for too long.