Anarchy13 Engine Assembly Thread - Page 5 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #81
anarchy13

Dipsticks got that line 1/3 of the way up

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152682.../shares/7168Pm

Kinda hard to see in the pic but does that line mean it's the correct level or minimum? Ya I got a book just not always with me and I like to get opinions anyways so I just mention things as they come up. Anyways flipped that cork seal on the inside of the cap and that actually might have done the trick. Oil was even lower than I thought so it couldn't have been over full. A whole quart fit in and I was still a inch below the bottem of the filler tube with the bike leaning. And how does the vent work?

And next issue, the front end is bouncing (rattling) up and down like crazy!!! Especially at a idle like at a stoplight!!! And also got a swishing rubbing sound while rolling sound that just started today, it's also coming from the front end. It's so loud it even attracts people's attention who are walking down the sidewalk!!! One of those embaressing sounds where everyone looks at you u know

Somethings rubbing... Maybe a warped disk or brake pad worn? I'll look into it. Any known issues that cause that?

I'd also like to know can anything lock up or fall off or come apart on the front of the bike while riding? Be it in the neck or forks or the tire or whatever? Cause that rubbing swishing sound don't sound good at all and the woman is itching to go for a ride since I finally got the bike working but is it safe with the bouncing and scary sounds coming from up front? Or is some front end bounce on a shovel normal?

Last edited by anarchy13; 07-10-2017 at 05:07 PM.
anarchy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #82
magnum45pete

Default Re: Anarchy13 Engine Assembly Thread

I always measure the oil as I put it in, that way you know it has what the factory recomends,,, too much and it will never get to a good operating oil temp... too less and ya motor will suffer.
once it has the exact amount of oil I check to see where it is on the dip stick and top up to that level when a top up is needed,... they are not meant to be full to the top .

a trick which works well was told to me by an old mechanic I knew back in the 70's,...(he was well into his 80's then !!) if you need a gas cap seal or oil tank cap seal and have no cork or one just isn't available, use Leather !!.... have done this many many times and works well for years,... longer than a cork seal for sure !!.
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #83
anarchy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum45pete View Post
use Leather !!
I'll keep it in mind I'm sure it'll save my butt some day

Old 07-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #84
flatman

Disconnect the return line to the oil tank and put it in a large pan. Start the engine and look at the condition and flow in to the pan. It usually is not a steady flow but more "burp" like. Look for shavings and gold coloring. Since you rebuilt the motor, change the oil often. You did wash and clean out the oil tank? The square ones are easy to clean out with gas or diesel brake clean or carwash if it out of bike. 2cents
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:18 PM   #85
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy13 View Post
And how does the vent work?
There is a standpipe that blows off the case pressure (oily mist) into the bag. Here's an aftermarket one cut open, but the theory is the same.

Quote:
I'd also like to know can anything lock up or fall off or come apart on the front of the bike while riding?
Uh, yeah. The most dangerous part of a 35mm front end (which I think you got there) is that the damper rod screws are the only things holding the lowers unto the tubes when extended. Those can totally cut loose. And of course, your brakes or bearings could take a shit and lock up. You know, so, uhhh... check that shit out.

Now, without offending your delicate sensibilities, you seem to be a bit casual as far as book spec on fluids. In the oil bag, as you've found, that can make a mess. In the forks, life gets real shitty. Under fill 'em by two ounces, and the whole mess feels like you're the fat guy on a CRF50. Overfill 'em by two ounces, and your front end will feel like it's suffering a priapism.

Were you careful when you filled up the forks? Did you swipe Mama's measuring cup?
Old 07-11-2017, 12:57 AM   #86
anarchy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
Disconnect the return line to the oil tank and put it in a large pan. Start the engine and look at the condition and flow in to the pan. It usually is not a steady flow but more "burp" like. Look for shavings and gold coloring. Since you rebuilt the motor, change the oil often. You did wash and clean out the oil tank? The square ones are easy to clean out with gas or diesel brake clean or carwash if it out of bike. 2cents
I'm embarrassed to say I didn't really wash the tank out just drained it. There are metal shavings all around the lip of the filter under top center lid on the oil tank. How do I know when my filters worn out?
Old 07-11-2017, 01:01 AM   #87
anarchy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
Quote:
And how does the vent work?
There is a standpipe that blows off the case pressure (oily mist) into the bag. Here's an aftermarket one cut open, but the theory is the same.

Quote:
I'd also like to know can anything lock up or fall off or come apart on the front of the bike while riding?
Uh, yeah. The most dangerous part of a 35mm front end (which I think you got there) is that the damper rod screws are the only things holding the lowers unto the tubes when extended. Those can totally cut loose. And of course, your brakes or bearings could take a shit and lock up. You know, so, uhhh... check that shit out.

Now, without offending your delicate sensibilities, you seem to be a bit casual as far as book spec on fluids. In the oil bag, as you've found, that can make a mess. In the forks, life gets real shitty. Under fill 'em by two ounces, and the whole mess feels like you're the fat guy on a CRF50. Overfill 'em by two ounces, and your front end will feel like it's suffering a priapism.

Were you careful when you filled up the forks? Did you swipe Mama's measuring cup?
About the forks, I've never done anything's on forks myself I had em serviced stateside before I brought the bike to Germany but the forks are wet!

As far as what can come apart on the front end sound like the woman will Havta wait to ride till I check the front end out good!!! Does the book tell me how to do all that?

If the vent blows into the oil bag how does it vent from there? Does the pressure ever get out?
Old 07-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #88
joe49

Quote:
If the vent blows into the oil bag how does it vent from there? Does the pressure ever get out?
go read post #79
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #89
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
About the forks... Does the book tell me how to do all that?
Yes. In all seriousness, open the book up and read. You'll at least have a rough understanding of the job. A lot of the stuff you are asking here is in your manual. Not being a dick, just saying that you could ask a more specific question after you read a bit.

And you can look here; I think this should help you out: https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=158890
Old 07-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #90
anarchy13

I have a theory on my forks, I jacked up the fronks and they retracted pretty dang far. Is it possible fluids so low they are botteming out and that's causing all that noise?
Making the fenders scrape again the tire or something crazy like that? The disks are warped pretty good too and when I spin the tire they wobble back and forth touching the brake pads off and on but they don't seem to be making that horrible scratching sound that I can't even describe!!! Here's my type of forks.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/1b8GK0
Old 07-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #91
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

You might be bottoming the forks. Again, refer to my earlier question you did not answer: how much fluid is in them?

The fender cannot scrape the tire as it is mounted to the fork lowers, which move with the tire.

As I mentioned, your forks appear to be 35mm units, so all the info I think I've given you is as correct as I know it to be. The link I sent you to also shows your exact fork. I'd recommend reading the factory service manual in conjunction with reading that thread.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #92
anarchy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
You might be bottoming the forks. Again, refer to my earlier question you did not answer: how much fluid is in them?
...well I just said hitting the fender or something cause i don't see what else it could be cause I'm looking right at it and can't don't see anything scraping its ridiculous and I mean it sounds just aweful!! Sounds almost like a sound they'd play in a loony bin. Lol could even be theTach cable spinning dry (but that loud?) messing with my ears...And sometimes i hear it when rolling to a stop and sometimes i don't.

As far as how much fluids in em I already said I never serviced em it was done in a shop. Lemme check out your link and the book and hopefully I'll have some new insight when I get back to u!.Thx so much for that quick reply!

Last edited by anarchy13; 07-11-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #93
magnum45pete

low Fork oil does not effect the compression of the forks... the springs hold the forks up,..the oil only dampens the ride like in a shock absorber.....
when you jack the bike up it is quite normal for them to extend as you have just taken 400lbs of bike off of them.
if the disc's are warped...Change them !!
with the wheel off the ground and forks resting on the steering stop one side or the other, (it doesn't matter which side) spin the wheel, if you hear the noise , un bolt the calliper, spin again if the noise goes away you know its coming from the calliper...
if noise is still there, remove the second calliper (if you have twin disc) & spin again.
if noise is stll there then remove front fender...spin again.... if noise goes your fender is rubbing, look for ware marks.
if noise is still there remove speedo cable,.
then check wheel bearings.
cant be much else to check.got to be one of the things mentioned...
if the noise goes when callipers removed examine to see if the pads are in the correct way round,..check to see if they are worn out & need new ones, metal on metal sounds bad...
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #94
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

A speedo cable can indeed make a godawful racket if dry. Why not unhook them and see if the noise stays?

And while I don't doubt you paid for a shop to service your forks, the fact that you say they are wet says something is still wrong. Going back to my original point, if they are wet, the correct amount of fluid is no longer in there, which certainly could make the front end dive. I'm drilling this point home because the proper fluid level here is critical for good fork feel; a few ounces in either direction and the front end will not work as designed.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:31 AM   #95
anarchy13

THX GUYS....

... and i have a zillion other questions like for example...

Does anyone know if the james complete engine moter gasket kit include seals for the 35mm FXE showa shocks also? im just wondering cause i got the kit and after resealing my engine i have so much stuff left over!!! And i dont know what half the gaskets and seals included are for?

this is the kit i got and some examples of things i have no clue where they go - https://www.flickr.com/photos/152682.../shares/EU8Q8P

Why didnt the seal kit come with a itemized picture diagram?
Old 07-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #96
image1

Quote:
complete engine moter gasket kit include seals for the 35mm FXE showa shocks also?
no. it is an ENGINE gasket set...

Quote:
i have so much stuff left over!!!
because you didn't completely disassemble the engine would be my guess.

Quote:
Why didnt the seal kit come with a itemized picture diagram?
because they assume that if you are doing this stuff you either A) know what you are doing and where they go or B) HAVE A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL THAT WILL SHOW YOU!

Random Chopper Goodness at the link below....
http://r4yl.blogspot.com/
image1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #97
joe49

Gasket sets cover several years of engines, there for they have the gasket changes for those years. So you as newbie match up with what you removed or research what belongs, because just finding the gasket in the engine doesn't mean it is correct.
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #98
anarchy13

Preciate the prompt replies, i just have alot lot lot lot left over,,,, just wondering what some of the stuff is for like these https://www.flickr.com/photos/152682.../shares/9HN06Q

cause if u read up top im working on my front end at the moment, and for a newbie the things in the first pic look like they might go to the forks, but of course someone already confirmed they dont... just wonderingggggggggggg

Last edited by anarchy13; 07-14-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #99
buckman50

Far left pic looks like a valve seal.

The seal in the bottom left (of the photo on the right) looks like a dual flange hub wheel bearing seal. The others...not sure
buckman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #100
Dan Boy

Valve seal.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152682...shares-9HN06Q/

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic21807_5.gif

Blown Triple Build
Dan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote