Kick starter retro kits - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
46international

Default Kick starter retro kits

So I have read to stay away from the import kick start kits for the old style 4 speed transmissions.
I see that J&P sell a kit for about $150 and a kit with a "stronger" case for $170 or so. Is the "stronger" case kit OK? what is it that fails in these? is it the case or the gears? J&P also has a kit for over $400 is that the only one that is worth getting? They don't say that the cheaper ones are imports but I would think they are.
I will still have an electric starter but with that starter solenoid (1976 shovel head) that keeps acting up, I would not mind having another way to get started.
Also, any ideas if these kick start kits will fit with the exhaust that is on the bike? I'll try to post a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	238298  
46international is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2017, 06:51 AM   #2
image1

Default Re: Kick starter retro kits

S&S heavy duty cover & Baker gears if you want something that will last.

Random Chopper Goodness at the link below....
http://r4yl.blogspot.com/
image1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
46international

thanks, how about it fitting with the exhaust that is on the bike?

Old 07-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
WhizzbangK.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46international View Post
thanks, how about it fitting with the exhaust that is on the bike?

Nope, most likely not. Looks like you've got the rear pipe that runs through the "notch" in the electric start only tranny end cover. The kicker covers basically come almost straight out from the bolt flange all the way around. They need to in order to make room for the gear.
WhizzbangK.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
farmall

Cheap kicker kits eat knees. Per CC advice a few years ago I went Baker and even my jaded toolmaker machinist bros are impressed by their quality.

Cheap covers may crack eventually but the main thing is to get Baker gears/ratchet and a Baker or stock HD arm. The cheap arms bend under normal kicking of stock compression engines. The pedals aren't durable and when the rubber "popsicle" flies off the metal underneath can do Bad Things to your leg. They never got me but a failed ratchet did.

The electric start can be improved but I would always have a kicker because the stock electric starter design is fucking garbage from an era when makers didn't care about quality unless they were BMW or Japanese.

The kicker is a nice electric start assist and the electric starter is a nice kicker assist.

The manual lever replacements for the solenoid on the inner primary cover work well. Either way you can and should thoroughly inspect the linkage for binding.

A cutaway scrap outer primary cover (leave enough to support the bearing and one primary cover screw on each side of it) is very useful for troubleshooting. You can also shave off some of that test cover on the inboard side between the screw holes.
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
46international

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzbangK.C. View Post

Nope, most likely not. Looks like you've got the rear pipe that runs through the "notch" in the electric start only tranny end cover. The kicker covers basically come almost straight out from the bolt flange all the way around. They need to in order to make room for the gear.

That was what i was afraid of, was hoping the heat shield could come off and make room. just not sure.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
46international

Farmall, you are right the electric starter as a back up for the kicker and the kicker as a back up for the electric.... that is where I was at with this.

The electric system works fine when cold but after a 20-30 mile run it may not start, the solenoiod will not pull in to close the switch or engage the gear. i know I could just replace the solenoid but I understand they don't last too long and it looks like a Micky mouse set up so was looking for a back-up. thanks for the input.