Hot rod knucklehead build - Page 9 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2017, 02:28 PM   #161
image1
Senior Member
 
image1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A-duh, Ohio
Posts: 2,328
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Dan Boy> better re-check that... i thought the same thing, and mine is all shut down now too.

its photobucket wide, $400/year to upgrade, FUCK THAT!
__________________
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE Mother F*cker!!!!
August 4-7, 2016!!!!!!!!!

Random Chopper Goodness at the link below....
http://r4yl.blogspot.com/
image1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #162
KCgran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: kentucky,USofA
Posts: 1,355
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Never understood why you can't upload pics directly to this site, like you can on other sites. Seems like there would be a lot more traffic here if you could.
__________________
I buy all my groceries and pharmaceuticals at Circle K
KCgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #163
Ducbsa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 727
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCgran View Post
Never understood why you can't upload pics directly to this site, like you can on other sites. Seems like there would be a lot more traffic here if you could.
You almost can, go to your profile, then Albums, where you can upload, then link in a thread.
Ducbsa is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #164
Curmudgeon
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Sticksville England
Posts: 92
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Fantastic info on the front drum gentlemen, many thanks.
Next question is, has anyone ever fitted on into a 16" rim?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #165
VonWegener
Senior Member
 
VonWegener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Apple Valley
Posts: 3,310
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Fantastic info on the front drum gentlemen, many thanks.
Next question is, has anyone ever fitted on into a 16" rim?
If you are talking about a rim for a that has been dimpled and drilled with the correct spoke angle for a small hub like a star or midstar than no unless you want to open up the nipple holes. If your heart is set on that drum in a sixteen drop center rim I would suggest to find one that is dimpled and drilled for a Honda 450/550/750 rear. That would be easy to spoke in.
__________________
*
Your friendly neighborhood W&W Cycle Germany, Paughco and V-Twin dealer

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #166
Curmudgeon
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Sticksville England
Posts: 92
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
If you are talking about a rim for a that has been dimpled and drilled with the correct spoke angle for a small hub like a star or midstar than no unless you want to open up the nipple holes. If your heart is set on that drum in a sixteen drop center rim I would suggest to find one that is dimpled and drilled for a Honda 450/550/750 rear. That would be easy to spoke in.
I really wanted to go for an alloy flanged Akront/Morad style rim, much like 750 Devo is using, only in 16" and not 21", I was assuming I'd probably have to buy a new rim and have it drilled by whoever builds the wheel. It seems 16" alloy rims don't come up used very often in a 40 spoke format.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #167
750Devo
Senior Member
 
750Devo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 495
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
If you are talking about a rim for a that has been dimpled and drilled with the correct spoke angle for a small hub like a star or midstar than no unless you want to open up the nipple holes. If your heart is set on that drum in a sixteen drop center rim I would suggest to find one that is dimpled and drilled for a Honda 450/550/750 rear. That would be easy to spoke in.
I came across a cb 750 rear drum laced to the 16" during my search for the rim. So they are out there.
__________________
I dig stoopid knuckleheads, and pissing into the wind
IG @devonnalder
750Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #168
750Devo
Senior Member
 
750Devo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 495
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I really wanted to go for an alloy flanged Akront/Morad style rim, much like 750 Devo is using, only in 16" and not 21", I was assuming I'd probably have to buy a new rim and have it drilled by whoever builds the wheel. It seems 16" alloy rims don't come up used very often in a 40 spoke format.
Buchanens will have the undrilled rims, and be able to make the spoke sets.
__________________
I dig stoopid knuckleheads, and pissing into the wind
IG @devonnalder
750Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #169
750Devo
Senior Member
 
750Devo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 495
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Just spent a bunch of time redoing the pics in this thread. I hope everyone at photobucket dies a slow horrible death!

Time for updates!

Roller rocker conversion by baisley.
__________________
I dig stoopid knuckleheads, and pissing into the wind
IG @devonnalder
750Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #170
750Devo
Senior Member
 
750Devo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 495
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Finally found a machinist I trust, and he finished up my primary cover for me.

Pretty excited with how it came out.
__________________
I dig stoopid knuckleheads, and pissing into the wind
IG @devonnalder
750Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #171
JAWS
Senior Member
 
JAWS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: la la land
Posts: 8,512
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Hey now....that is sexy.
__________________
60% of the time, it works every time...
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:08 AM   #172
thecarfarmer
Senior Member
 
thecarfarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: the computer room (near Seattle)
Posts: 570
Default

Well, I haven't been following this thread (or any others) for a while - actually had something to add to the conversation re: valvetrain a couple pages back when it would've been more pertinent...

If you haven't ever talked to the folks @ Baisley in Portland, ya' might want to.

I dropped off some Cyl's there & got a tour of the shop... they have a lot of experience with the rocker arm geometry of Harley Davidson engines, and would be a resource I would want to consider if I were undertaking a project of this magnitude.
thecarfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:26 AM   #173
750Devo
Senior Member
 
750Devo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 495
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Devo View Post
Just spent a bunch of time redoing the pics in this thread. I hope everyone at photobucket dies a slow horrible death!

Time for updates!

Roller rocker conversion by baisley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarfarmer View Post
Well, I haven't been following this thread (or any others) for a while - actually had something to add to the conversation re: valvetrain a couple pages back when it would've been more pertinent...

If you haven't ever talked to the folks @ Baisley in Portland, ya' might want to.

I dropped off some Cyl's there & got a tour of the shop... they have a lot of experience with the rocker arm geometry of Harley Davidson engines, and would be a resource I would want to consider if I were undertaking a project of this magnitude.
Excellent advice, luckily I already pulled the trigger on getting the baisley conversion
__________________
I dig stoopid knuckleheads, and pissing into the wind
IG @devonnalder
750Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #174
750Devo
Senior Member
 
750Devo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 495
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

I have always loved the Ron finch risers, but really love tall bars. Both aesthetically and due to my height I needed more height than you can get from the finch risers. This is the solution I came up with.
Not sure if the extension is going to be chromed or blacked out yet. Probably wont decide until the last minute.
__________________
I dig stoopid knuckleheads, and pissing into the wind
IG @devonnalder
750Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #175
Dan Boy
Senior Member
 
Dan Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 2,451
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Cool solution, I like it.
__________________

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic21807_5.gif

Blown Triple Build
Dan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #176
Wisco Cal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Madison Wisconsin
Posts: 103
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Very Captain America with the double-risers. Except on a souped-up knucklehead suicide-machine instead of a chromed panhead. I love it.
Wisco Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #177
750Devo
Senior Member
 
750Devo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 495
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boy View Post
Cool solution, I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco Cal View Post
Very Captain America with the double-risers. Except on a souped-up knucklehead suicide-machine instead of a chromed panhead. I love it.
Thanks guys!
__________________
I dig stoopid knuckleheads, and pissing into the wind
IG @devonnalder
750Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #178
750Devo
Senior Member
 
750Devo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 495
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

All the bottom end machining and crank work is done. Time to start putting this motor together, and double checking all the clearances.

__________________
I dig stoopid knuckleheads, and pissing into the wind
IG @devonnalder
750Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #179
JAWS
Senior Member
 
JAWS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: la la land
Posts: 8,512
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Awesome. Love that table spread, good buffet.
__________________
60% of the time, it works every time...
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #180
vtwinjunkie
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: verhinia
Posts: 36
Default Re: Hot rod knucklehead build

Looking sweeeeeeet!
vtwinjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.