home paint job - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 03-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
Desert

Default home paint job

I have used pj1 on my bikes for some years because I dont know any better. Can you suggest a paint gun set up for home use? Ive got rigid frames, tanks Id like to start with and a mid 60s pick up that hasnt been painted since the Carter administration
Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
BCOWANWHEELS

Default Re: home paint job

for your purpose harbor freight hvlp spray gun "kits" are the best bang for the buck and believe it or not high quality. jmo
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
tomsoftail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
for your purpose harbor freight hvlp spray gun "kits" are the best bang for the buck and believe it or not high quality. jmo
I bought the one from Home Depot and it was made by Campbell Hausfeld but it looks like the HFT only $116. more expensive. Screwed? Probably not because like you, Bob, I think it worked just fine. I only shot lacquer through it though and it came out fanfuckingtastic but it is lacquer and will need to careful with gas fill ups. Mule or somebody else said to spray bomb 2k clear over it and it will be urethane tough but the nine coats of lacquer clear I sprayed on with the Campbell is holding up.for now anyway.
tomsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Rob Axel

My guns consist of binks M1-G .. Sata jet 90s to cheap harbor freight guns, for frames I would suggest a touch up gun (H-f cheap), that way you can get into hard to reach places...plus remember the pattern on a touch up gun isn't as wide and most frames rails are maybe 1inch... It won't be as forgiving but also won't set u back a arm and a leg... Do a little research, your finish coat will only be as good as the coats underneath so good bodywork goes without saying...
I have painted many panels out in the yard or garage with minimal issues and great results, remember a few simple rules... Keep things clean, have plenty of (clean) air, and don't rush! If you do I gareentee things will go downhill FAST!
And most important... Enjoy learning this process... If you screw it up no big.. Take it off and re do it... You WILL make mistakes, but they are fun to learn...
Old 03-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
old.wrench

desert,
I started painting the same as you're doing. Lots of rattlecan experience, but I'd never handled a paint gun. The first few go-rounds were with a Home Depot touch-up gun that belonged to my brother. It was an improvement over the rattlecans, but I wasn't really happy with it. I did some checking around and ended up buying one of the H.F. purple guns. Back when I bought it, it was their "high-end" gun . It's the one that you can get on sale for $30 bucks or less with the coupons. I'm not an advocate of Chinese tools, but to be honest, the damn thing really works good.

I came across this write-up on using and adjusting the purple guns and it helped me out a lot -

http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com...Pspraygun.html

Make sure you have a compressor that makes enough air and get a good filter and water trap.

Make sure that you have the right tools and solvent (generally the same solvent you use to thin your paint) to clean your gun properly right after you use it, other wise you can just throw it in the shit-can. The gun I have came with it's own tool and cleaning kit.

Make sure that the paints and solvents you use are compatible with each other, otherwise you can end up with an ugly mess.

Make sure you don't breathe in anything that's going to fuck you up!

edit: All those "make sure's" sound too authoritarian to me. Everybody is entitled to make their own mistakes .

From my own experience, I'd say that most of the work that goes into a nice looking paint job is of the variety that you don't see when you look at the shiny paint. It's mostly in the prep work that you do before the finish coat goes on. Good painters really do earn their bread.

Geo.

"hony swacky mally asbestos"

Last edited by old.wrench; 03-29-2015 at 12:28 PM.
old.wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
conn.rod

If you use the HF purple spray gun,watch this video,it shows what to de before using the gun so you get the best paint job possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PiYhGLlQsU
conn.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:30 AM   #7
Desert

I thank you all for the advice, after watching the youtube video and reading up on the purple guns I figured harbor freight was a good place to start. Found the purple 47016 and asked the guy who stocks shelves for advice on which water trap and filter was a compatible accompaniment and whats up the air line fitting etc dude was clueless and couldnt find anyone in the store to offer advice. So I went to home depot and looked for the cambell hausfeld unit, all they had were huskys. I decided if this was to be my new hobby I sure in the hell need a bigger compressor so I got a 60 gallon husky. In a couple weeks when Ive got some extra money and after wiring the garage for 220 Ill try again on the paint guns and product.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #8
old.wrench

Desert,
I use a combination filter/water trap that I picked up at HF. It's a knock-off of the old Devillbis style filter. It's a pretty good sized setup, probably 10"-12" tall and around 4" in diameter and has a replaceable filter element in it.

Most of the better painting set ups I've seen employ a run of tubing or piping with a "drip leg" built into it between the compressor and the filter. A drip leg is a low point in the system that allows the moisture to collect and then be drained off. When the compressor delivers the air, it's been heated somewhat by going through the compression process. By running the compressed air through a length of tubing or piping before it hits the the filter, it will cool down and will naturally want to drop out it's moisture.

I don't have a spray booth or for that matter even an indoor place to do my painting. My outdoor painting setup is pretty basic and primitive. All I do is run the compressed air from the compressor through 50 feet of air hose before it hits the filter/water trap and then it runs through a shorter 25 foot air hose to the gun. The hose I use between the filter and gun is used for that purpose only, so it doesn't get contaminated with compressor oil or any other crap. I regulate the gun pressure at the filter, but I've seen setups where some painters have a small regulator right on the gun which looks pretty handy.

Take care to protect your lungs. Some of the chemicals used in paints like hardeners and two-part stuff are very hard on the the respiratory and nervous systems.
I don't recall the forum member's name, but back about 5 years ago the young guy (here on the JJ) had to give up on his painting career because he fucked himself up breathing poison paint fumes.

I'm still pretty much a novice when it comes to painting, but I can tell you that there is a hell of a lot of satisfaction in putting a decent paint job on the bike that you built and ride .

Geo.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
bon

How does the 2k paint stand up to use and abuse on motorcycle parts ? The modern fuel has ethanol in it , which seems to dissolve a lot of plastics, paints etc. How does 2k cope with hot oil and leaking fuel ?
bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
ncmc47

My Horrible Freight paint gun was the top of the line one ( if there is such a thing). It was a 35787. Actually painted pretty good right out of the box. I was told it was actually a copy of a name brand gun, but don't know which one. Anyone have any ideas, wouldn't mind kitting it. Sure saves paint over my old Sharpe.
ncmc47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
Rob Axel

Bon....as for paint, I swear by PPG. Especially with their DP primers, dont go cheap on primer as the paint and fumes will "wick" under the paint and clear through the primer if any surfaces is exposed..especially near the filler neck or petcock.....Ask me how I know.....
I have been running DP 90 primer alone on my harley tank for years and there is ho sign of lifting and peeling anywhere....cant say the same for the rear fender on my triumph that I used cheap lacquer on......got a chip down to the primer and it started to blister around it....
As for the 2K, talk to some people that have used it, get their opinions.... and remember the paint you buy now will not be the same formulation in a couple of months,......the EPA is constantly on these manufacturers in reducing VOCs....Im not sure if you can even get the DP series any more without it being Lead free....
Old 04-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #12
harleyman75

has anyone used any water based paint, if so how was the end result?
harleyman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
Desert

I stripped the frame down and really like the grey. Havent decided on the scheme yet, used old rattle cans that I found sitting around on the tank. Where do I look for product sherwin williams?
Old 04-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #14
Rob Axel

S.W. Here in savannah are the highest price supplies.... "Let your fingers do the walking"... Worse case check the body shops in your area and ask them who supplies them and if they sell to the public.... If. Of maybe they will add your order to theirs ...
Your in Nevada .... I believe the EPA stuff is a little easier on the "hobbiest" when it comes to automotive paint.....waterborne paints are still prettymuch still in the "professional" closet..... As for results .... I don't hear anyone singing its praises, I'm still waiting on how good the "holdout" is and how well it handles U.V. over time.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #15
old.wrench

Desert,
For paint and supplies, every town that has more than a couple auto body repair shops seems to have a specialty store that sells paints and supplies. I've never encountered any difficulty buying from them, and they can provide mixing and matching services and all the paint information and data too. In the smaller towns you can buy your paints and supplies through any half-way decent auto parts store.

I personally haven't used any of the waterborn automotive paints. The closest I've been to it was when we used the waterborn epoxies on some commercial painting jobs. A few years back I did a big project where we used it (It was a Sherwin Williams product as I recall. Sherwin Williams was a local company with it's head quarters in Cleveland) to paint everything in a local "natatorium" (indoor swimming facility with huge pool and water attractions and features) which is a real high humidity environment. Most of it was sprayed with an air-less pump and gun, but some of the more detailed work was done using the big pressure pots and spray guns. The best way I can describe it, is that it was some real expensive paint that had a vile smell .

Geo.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
Racepres

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn.rod View Post
If you use the HF purple spray gun,watch this video,it shows what to de before using the gun so you get the best paint job possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PiYhGLlQsU
YaBut!!!! 10 minutes, I learned to seal the cup to the gun...Ferchrisakes...Where is the Readers Digest Version????
Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #17
bon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyman75 View Post
has anyone used any water based paint, if so how was the end result?
I think the waterbase is only used for basecoat, and is covered in clearcoat. The clear gives the depth, gloss and toughness, the base is only there for the colour.
bon is offline   Reply With Quote