How to eliminate throttle return cable - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 06-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
hath

Default How to eliminate throttle return cable

I couldn't find my old threat to post this to so here we go.

How do you eliminate the throttle return cable on an s&s Super E? I know it's risky...but I hate the cluttered look. What do I need to do so that the springs cause the throttle to snap back to resting position?
hath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Default Re: How to eliminate throttle return cable

Uh... don't you just take off the cable?
govmule84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
BigDawg

Send a message via AIM to BigDawg

Yeah, there are springs on the throttle plate on a Super E, so it returns automatically. All you have to do it remove the cable and you can use it as a single. I've had mine like that for a long time.

The BDAC
BigDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
magnum45pete

just take it off and shit can it.....only there cause the government said to fit two cause they know best !!....wankers!!...
I would always have/use/fit an engine kill switch in an easily got to place so you can kill ya motor....Piss Easy,Simple & Safe...
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
old stale negative

you don't have to do anything but remove the other cable. There is a heavy spring that will close the throttle butterfly even if your one and only cable breaks.

the nice thing about two cables is even if one breaks you can swap 'em and still get home.

On the other hand, if your one and only throttle cable sticks open you WILL be in a world of shit—hope you still have a kill switch you can flick! This happened to me on a bench once, and a friend had it happen on a twisty road(!)

warnings aside, It's easiest to remove the rear/return cable from the throttle assembly first. This will give the necessary slack at the carb to slide the cable end sideways out of the notch.

undo the two screws holding the throttle on, crack open, and unscrew the rear cable from the assembly, pull cable through and out out of assembly, remove cable from carb.

be sure you adjust and maintain your one remaining cable properly—that's your lifeline now!
old stale negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
hath

Interesting, the cable is removed but the throttle sticks, there's no automatic snap back. That's what made me think you had to do something with the springs.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
buckman50

Did you recently rebuild the carb and not install the throttle plate or throttle shaft springs correctly?
buckman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
BigDawg

Send a message via AIM to BigDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by old stale negative View Post
you don't have to do anything but remove the other cable. There is a heavy spring that will close the throttle butterfly even if your one and only cable breaks.

the nice thing about two cables is even if one breaks you can swap 'em and still get home.

On the other hand, if your one and only throttle cable sticks open you WILL be in a world of shit—hope you still have a kill switch you can flick! This happened to me on a bench once, and a friend had it happen on a twisty road(!)

warnings aside, It's easiest to remove the rear/return cable from the throttle assembly first. This will give the necessary slack at the carb to slide the cable end sideways out of the notch.

undo the two screws holding the throttle on, crack open, and unscrew the rear cable from the assembly, pull cable through and out out of assembly, remove cable from carb.

be sure you adjust and maintain your one remaining cable properly—that's your lifeline now!
I took the other cable off AFTER it hung up on me on a twisty mountain road. I pushed in the clutch and killed the bike (luckily I was near a turn-out). I took off the other cable and never looked back. That was almost 4 years ago.

The BDAC
BigDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #9
mark59

I did this years ago on my TC dresser and took off for myrtle rally, at the rally my throttle was sloppy loose so I bought new cables and all was good, then I put a CV on my flathead and had to cut return reel part off, what I learned is you need a throttle with a stop built into it, used a 1973-77 oem harley, the dual cable throttle has no stop built into it, the return cable is the stop, so it will work just fine so long as throttle has a return stop in it
mark59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
shovelinit

Just eliminate it. Never put one on my shovel with s&s e. That was 20 years ago.
shovelinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
hath

The carb was rebuilt recently but we never did replace the springs. I bought a sporty with this motor and carb, and this is how they had it set up, I have since built a bobber but kept the same set up. I kind of like it, it's almost like cruise control, I can open the throttle up to whatever rpm I want and let off and it'll just cruise on its own. I know this is pretty dangerous, hence why I want to correct it...and correct it without having to run the throttle return cable! Super ugly/cluttery!
Old 06-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #12
richbob

all this talk of dangerous
stuck, pull clutch coast stop pull your plug caps off or whack in first when your stationary
i been under bikes rear wheel spinning fuel pissing on me no return cable no cut out
but they stop on their side!(float bowl thing)

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #13
buckman50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hath View Post
The carb was rebuilt recently but we never did replace the springs. I bought a sporty with this motor and carb, and this is how they had it set up, I have since built a bobber but kept the same set up. I kind of like it, it's almost like cruise control, I can open the throttle up to whatever rpm I want and let off and it'll just cruise on its own. I know this is pretty dangerous, hence why I want to correct it...and correct it without having to run the throttle return cable! Super ugly/cluttery!
It's not about replacing the springs in as much as it is ensuring that you've installed them correctly. If my memory serves me correctly, you can install the springs improperly so that the throttle plate won't snap closed. Or, the throttle plate could be installed improperly.

Look into it....get it fixed proper-like. Use that ridiculous thumbscrew on the throttle housing for cruise control instead.
buckman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #14
grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hath View Post
Interesting, the cable is removed but the throttle sticks, there's no automatic snap back. That's what made me think you had to do something with the springs.

hath...pull your throttle assembly off your handlebar and try snapping it. Then look closely at the rubber grip and see if it is rubbing toward the inside housing or look at the very end and see if the plastic inner sleeve is rubbing the end of the rubber grip. Hope this make sense....

Last edited by grunt; 06-12-2014 at 06:17 PM.
grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:18 AM   #15
grunt

How did you make out hath???...
grunt is offline   Reply With Quote