S&S Super E fuel issue - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
-Pod-

Default S&S Super E fuel issue

Hey all, I thought I'd ask about my carb issue before diving in tomorrow. So, I have a '76 shovelhead and I'm ready to ride. Gas flows through the petcock, inline filter, and hose to carb (the filter is clear so I can see the gas flow or not). No issue until I connect to carb. Then the gas won't flow. The bike will run and use all gas in the fuel line then it won't dump anymore in. I have good venting from gas tank and everything checks out all the way to the carb. As in I've checked a few times and the flow is great until I connect to the carb. I've even pulled the bowl plug and let gas run through, though it seems a little restricted.

What would cause the carb from not letting gas flow through it to run?

Is there some sorta air displacement that would let the fuel run into the carb that might be dirty?

I'm planning on spending Friday eve pulling the carb and cleaning her up. Prob just pull the bowel and clean jets and float and stuff. Any advice and or suggestions would be great!!!! Good weather this weekend and would like to enjoy it.

Thanx,

-Pod-
-Pod- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
dan r

Default Re: S&S Super E fuel issue

the bowl vent passage could be blocked by other than S&S air cleaners.
the needle and seat would be next on the check list.
turn off the gas, drop the bowl, get ready with a drain pan under the carb, turn on the fuel, watch for flow.

do you need the extra in-line filter or do you not have one in the fuel tank? running two filters can restrict flow.
dan r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #3
RetroRob

Get on the s&s site, a lot of great how to videos. Make sure your float height is correct, and both jets are clear. That little intermediate jet plugs easy. Blow out all the passages good.
RetroRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
-Pod-

Right on. Thanx! Yup been looking at videos there on site. One other thing is making this a pain is that I have an s&s teardrop cleaner and I can't for the life of me get the 3 screws off that hold the cleaner on so I can access the bowl screws. I'll have to pull the whole carb and see what I can do. Ive sprayed some penetrating oil on and well see if it helps tomorrow.............
Old 04-11-2014, 03:56 AM   #5
shovithead

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pod- View Post
Right on. Thanx! Yup been looking at videos there on site. One other thing is making this a pain is that I have an s&s teardrop cleaner and I can't for the life of me get the 3 screws off that hold the cleaner on so I can access the bowl screws. I'll have to pull the whole carb and see what I can do. Ive sprayed some penetrating oil on and well see if it helps tomorrow.............
Try tapping lightly on a hand impact. LIGHTLY. If you have one. If not, they are cheap at the auto/hardware stores. A must have, for stubborn bolts/screws. Another easy trick, is to try to tighten them, if they move, then try to remove them. The hand impact is the best to get them out though.

42 UL long term project
44 Wife and best friend(Keeper for sure)
51 FLH short term project
60 Doc Dytch XLCH Drag only
61 XLCH parts bike
65 XLCH parts bike
66 FLH
68 XLCH parts bike
69 XLH wifies bike
69 XLH daily rider
70 XLH
72 XLH
72 C30 Chevy truck
73 FLH chopper(Shirley the Shovelhead) Daily rider
shovithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:46 AM   #6
D-1

Use a screw driver and gently tap the end as you un-do the screw...it you don't have an impact driver
D-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:38 AM   #7
ranchodeluxe
Banned

That's a great place for Loctite Freeze and thaw, with the alum casting and steel screws. If you think they aren't going to come loose before the head strips. Just spray it for about 10 seconds, let it sit a minute, then use you hand impact.

Above poster has a good thought. Seems like a venting issue, since you stated it does use the fuel in the line. If the bowl isn't vented, for some reason, it would be like holding your thumb over the end of a siphon hose.
ranchodeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
Racepres

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan r View Post

do you need the extra in-line filter or do you not have one in the fuel tank? running two filters can restrict flow.
I will Not use an Inline filter!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
Rusty-Shackleford

Get rid of the inline filter.

Try it without the inline filter!
Rusty-Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
Lester

??? no probs with me Pan running an in-line filter.... the petcock isn't really a filter just a strainer for the big stuff.

Lester

PS had the same prob with PO going nut with lock tite.... had to drill out the three screws you mention... mine were allen so easy to center the drillbit. Had a apply heat to get the suckers out.
'72 Triumph Bonneville Nothing special
'80's couple of Jap chops too
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
old stale negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroRob View Post
Blow out all the passages good.
just don't do what I did once and blow out the accelerator pump passage with the tiny diaphragm still installed…popped it like a balloon! and what a PITA is it to put that lil fucker back together perfect =/
old stale negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #12
oldschoolfx

Maybe I'm understanding it wrong...if the gas is flowing through the inline filter until the carb starves, it would seem as if there is no issue with using the inline filter so the problem seems as though it would be farther upstream...IE: the petcock, fuel tank, or fuel caps. A slight kink in the fuel line will restrict fuel flow but it should refill, just slowly. I have run the same inline filter on my bike for decades with a simple filter change every once in a while.I use the one with the chrome ends and the glass center and it's about 1-1/4" long with 5/16" line. I still use the stock style petcock with the intank screen. S&S B on a healthy 80ci engine. No flow problems that I am aware of. However, I did drill out the petcock to the 5/16" size too.

If it runs and fuel can be seen going through the inline filter and out the end of the fuel line when it's NOT connected to the carb but then doesn't flow when it is connected to the carb then the carb should be the culprit (read should) but if it also runs out the carb bowl then the needle and seat should not be the problem although cleaning is still warranted if that hasn't been done in a while and a new needle and seat while it's apart should be done just because it's easier now while it's off. The float on a S&S has been known to get heavy in the past, maybe not not so much on the newer versions though.

A thorough cleaning of the entire fuel system sounds like it would be the best way to approach this. Pull the petcock and make sure the all the holes are clear, if the screen is present change it, eliminate it, or clean it, new fuel hose and clamps, clean carb and if the problem persists it's the fuel caps causing a vacuum.

Getting those confounded screws out is PITA for the first few times it's taken apart. Once you get them out put some anti-seize on the ones going back in including under the head, not just on the threads. Put the screws in tight with the anti-sieze, pull them back out a few time to be sure they get all the internal threads coated. Then reach in with a q-tip or sliver of wood and clean the excess out to prevent hydrolocking before they are fully drawn tight. Do this a few times over the summer and then forget about it. Mine just came out yesterday after many years of not moving. The anti-sieze seems to soak into the aluminum enough to remain there for a long time.

BTW- I go along with the idea of getting a hand impact for your tool box, they work great and the tips fit these screws really well. I also recommend starting with a small hammer and working up in size. Using a BFH in this situation will only result in grief.

Last edited by oldschoolfx; 04-11-2014 at 12:35 PM.
oldschoolfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
Rusty-Shackleford

Why would you "Pull the petcock and make sure the all the holes are clear, if the screen is present change it, eliminate it, or clean it, new fuel hose and clamps" if the fuel is flowing so well with the line disconnected from the carb??
Old 04-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
Mr Bill

Dave Young in Boston makes and sells knurled stainless extended bowl and idle screws for many different carbs. I have them on a B, D, E and G. The longer bowl screws make dropping the bowl a non-event.

http://davesmachineshop.blogspot.ca/...ale-s-and.html

You need to verify proper tank and bowl venting.

edit: Idle and bowl screws on the G.

Last edited by Mr Bill; 04-11-2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: second photo
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:50 PM   #15
oldschoolfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Shackleford View Post
Why would you "Pull the petcock and make sure the all the holes are clear, if the screen is present change it, eliminate it, or clean it, new fuel hose and clamps" if the fuel is flowing so well with the line disconnected from the carb??

Covering all the bases, besides, out of everything I said THAT'S what you focus on?
oldschoolfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #16
little5150nuts

Just throwing some ideals out there. Is your tank full of crud or dirty? Maybe restriction In the little hose on the carb (over flow). Try running it with the gas cap off to see if it still does it.
little5150nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
-Pod-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racepres View Post
I will Not use an Inline filter!

Man, Im not sure why but the gas won't flow with an inline filter. New, old, whatever, it just won't flow. So I took it out and gas seems to flow fine. Of course I did this after I cleaned the carb. So I guess FYI, in line filters won't work on my shovelhead. Thanx all for your imput. Seems as if the problem is solved, for now. Cheers
Old 04-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #18
Rusty-Shackleford

No Shit! Really??