hey electrical gurus, is this set-up common on electric start choppers? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 02-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
old stale negative

Default hey electrical gurus, is this set-up common on electric start choppers?

hey all!

long-time lurker, first-time question here.

I can turn a wrench pretty well but electrical is my Achilles' heel…

I have rewired a few older Harley choppers, but never tackled one with a starter until now. I'm elbow deep in a friend's 1977 Sportster and I'm hoping some kind soul with 'lectric skills could check this wiring diagram out and lemmeknow if all seems kosher?

The "Generator" is a DGV5000 Cycle Electric 12v complete charging system; Coil is dual fire Accel; ignition = points and condensor; headlamp grounds to the frame via wire; brake lamp is powered by coil positive.

I've never seen ignition powered off the starter relay—is this common on electric start choppers? Is there a better way to wire this bad boy up? Should I place some fuses in line and if so what and where?

many thanks in advance.

old stale negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
D-1

Default Re: hey electrical gurus, is this set-up common on electric start choppers?

That looks fine. Your not powering your ign switch off the start relay, just the same terminal. It would be the same as taking the ign wire back to the breaker. However, the start relay is usually powered by the ignition switch, but the way it is is fine, less volt drop to the relay this way. The only other suggestion is a thumb kill switch for the coil power if you have handlebar switches. You could run 15A breakers on the ign and light circuit after the ignition switch if you have room, but the 30A protects the whole lot.
D-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
little d

Default Re: hey electrical gurus, is this set-up common on electric start choppers?

Two things I see. First off I take the wire from the v-reg straight to the bat, like D-1 said, that will work but, that is a better way, for me anyway. Second, I like simple and less parts means less things to go wrong. Napa sells a momentary start ing switch (Pollac (spelling?). The one you show is a 3 way switch, off, on and lights, the Pollac is a 4 way, off, on, lights and start. This will eliminate the starter button and relay, the solenoid wire goes straight to the s on the switch.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
old stale negative

fantastic, thanks for this. sorry I missed your reply, my settings must not be config'd to notify me =/
Old 04-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
old stale negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by little d View Post
The one you show is a 3 way switch, off, on and lights, the Pollac is a 4 way, off, on, lights and start. This will eliminate the starter button and relay, the solenoid wire goes straight to the s on the switch.
this is great info, muchas gracias
Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
skinny

Hey stale,

I wired my bike ('73 cone shovel) like little d has suggested, taking the v-reg wire straight to the battery. I'm also using a Pollak momentary starting switch eliminating the start button and relay. Haven't had a problem yet (5yrs).
Here's the wiring diagram I came up with.

skinny

photo IMG_1940_zpseacc3f21.jpg

Tags
1977 sportster, help please, wiring diagram