One more Triumph Build - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #21
Ratso

Default Re: One more Triumph Build

Was going to keep my mouth shut for a change, but that sissy looks oddly fancy to be on such an admirably simple, stripped and basic Bonnie. I sure like the rest of the bike.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #22
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Similarly, I helped a friend do one in 9/16". Always looked too "fat" to me, and the tight bends didn't ever look right to my eye in that diameter stock.

If you were to fashion a more conventional sissy stick or fender struts, you could weld up some pegs onto a flat steel bench, starting at the point of the sissy. Heat your sissy at the bend location, bend by hand around the peg (easy when it's hot).

Add pegs as you make each bend to a piece of steel to bend it symmetrically.

Or you could use heavier material but perhaps use brass or something that will bend at a lower temp if you don't have 'cety torch. Probably want to make it much shorter so each piece is more rigid, no skyscraper sissys.

And totally editorializing, but I agree with Ratso. That sissy looks like it doesn't belong on that bike. Doesn't do it for me visually at all.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #23
rhysmort

+1 for sissy being too fancy.

I find less is more when it comes to sissy's unelss you're really going for all show no go. My last 1 was 9/16 on my UL and that fucker still vibrated!!

Old 08-13-2020, 05:25 AM   #24
TrumpNY

See I'd been pretty pleased with myself when I first got it done. Then after spending more time around it while working on all the little stuff that still needs done, I could tell something was off. It is in fact too fancy. I need something above the fender to run the tail light I have the way that I want to run it, but I think I'm going to start fresh with some 1/2" bar and come up with something a lot cleaner. Thanks for the tips on bending it up. I've had a torch kit on the shopping list for a while, but the wife's been looking at me sideways when boxes from Dennis Kirk, Lowbrow, etc keep showing up at the door full of seals and brake pads and all the other little stuff that seems cheap until you need to buy it all.
TrumpNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #25
Ratso

A low, dragster-type pushbar with a straightforward hemicircular bend up top would look the hound's bollocks, or the pig's mickey (or whatever it is that the British say), on that stripper of a motorcycle. I think I'll shut up now.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
showa forks, triumph