41mm fork question - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
lilbill
Senior Member
 
lilbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: arkansas
Posts: 3,991
Default 41mm fork question

has anybody tried putting 80-83 tubes and dampers into a pre 77 set of lowers ? looks to me like it should work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80-83 41mm.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	156138  
__________________
RIP SwedeBobb
lilbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Racepres
Senior Member
 
Racepres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Middle of the mitten
Posts: 884
Default Re: 41mm fork question

Seems to me someone did Bill....Just can't find it Now.
Of course the damper needs to match the Tubes. and of course have same attachment to the lowers, which I don't think is a Problem.
If no definitive answer, PM me. I will put one together and see!!!!
__________________
If it Aint a H-D and it Aint from '66 to '84
I might be Guessing!!!
Racepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
lilbill
Senior Member
 
lilbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: arkansas
Posts: 3,991
Default Re: 41mm fork question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racepres View Post
Seems to me someone did Bill....Just can't find it Now.
Of course the damper needs to match the Tubes. and of course have same attachment to the lowers, which I don't think is a Problem.
If no definitive answer, PM me. I will put one together and see!!!!
what i've found so far is that pre 77 lowers have a slot at the bottom that the damper locates in and then a nut is used on a stud sticking out the bottom to secure it. the later dampers (showa) use a bolt that screws into the damper. so i "think" if you drill out the slot in the early slider to accept the bolt then you can use the later tubes/dampers.
I know on the 33s you can use the late tubes/dampers in the early lowers if you enlarge the hole in the bottom of the early lowers to fit the slightly larger bolt then they can be used.
__________________
RIP SwedeBobb
lilbill is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 08-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Racepres
Senior Member
 
Racepres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Middle of the mitten
Posts: 884
Default Re: 41mm fork question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbill View Post
what i've found so far is that pre 77 lowers have a slot at the bottom that the damper locates in and then a nut is used on a stud sticking out the bottom to secure it. the later dampers (showa) use a bolt that screws into the damper. so i "think" if you drill out the slot in the early slider to accept the bolt then you can use the later tubes/dampers.
I know on the 33s you can use the late tubes/dampers in the early lowers if you enlarge the hole in the bottom of the early lowers to fit the slightly larger bolt then they can be used.
I think you mean 35's?? the Kayaba [early] had the larger bolt. The Showa Later] bolt was a 6mm socket-head.
Like I said...Sometime tomorrow I'll look. Aint boring no lowers tho!!! LOL
__________________
If it Aint a H-D and it Aint from '66 to '84
I might be Guessing!!!
Racepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #5
lilbill
Senior Member
 
lilbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: arkansas
Posts: 3,991
Default Re: 41mm fork question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racepres View Post
I think you mean 35's?? the Kayaba [early] had the larger bolt. The Showa Later] bolt was a 6mm socket-head.
Like I said...Sometime tomorrow I'll look. Aint boring no lowers tho!!! LOL
no, i mean the 33.4 ironhead / K model forks.
__________________
RIP SwedeBobb
lilbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:28 AM   #6
Friday
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NZ
Posts: 964
Default Re: 41mm fork question

that slot is a washer pressed in the end
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
Racepres
Senior Member
 
Racepres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Middle of the mitten
Posts: 884
Default Re: 41mm fork question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbill View Post
no, i mean the 33.4 ironhead / K model forks.
OH...Heck I don't know nuttin bout the K model...But, the 35's are the same way...just need the bolt hole enlarged.
__________________
If it Aint a H-D and it Aint from '66 to '84
I might be Guessing!!!
Racepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
TheSandman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 72
Default Re: 41mm fork question

Anybody come up with an answer on this? I have some early lowers and was thinking of finding some late tubes and damper tubes.
TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
ElekVins
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 612
Default Re: 41mm fork question

I read this thread and a couple of others and couldn't find a definitive answer.


Can you mount 49-77 lower/tubes in later 41mm trees?
And can you mount late tubes in early trees?


see recent forks in pic, think it's 80's or 90's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41_3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	257258  
ElekVins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.