Hub width hunting ??? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
jeffy

Default Hub width hunting ???

Whats up fellas
Looking for some help trying to track down info on hub widths or hub suggestions for narrow front ends. Im working on the redoing of my foot clutch jockey shovel and ill be using a narrow springer but want to keep front brakes even if only minimal power. Ive only got 4 1/8 between the rockers and about 4 3/4 between the legs, so this is where the trouble begins. Thinking of sportster drum, or dirtbike front with a disc. One of my coworkers races dirtbikes and says that he measured the front hub on one of his bikes and might fit, what is the width on the sporty hamburger drums? Ive seen them on some narrow fronts before. Any other narrow front hubs/brake setup that can be recommended, not super interested in the halcraft type but only as a last resort maybe.

Mods can you please remove this identical thread from the tech archives? Thanks
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
Elektron

Default Re: Hub width hunting ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
Whats up fellas
Looking for some help trying to track down info on hub widths or hub suggestions for narrow front ends. Im working on the redoing of my foot clutch jockey shovel and ill be using a narrow springer but want to keep front brakes even if only minimal power. Ive only got 4 1/8 between the rockers and about 4 3/4 between the legs, so this is where the trouble begins. Thinking of sportster drum, or dirtbike front with a disc. One of my coworkers races dirtbikes and says that he measured the front hub on one of his bikes and might fit, what is the width on the sporty hamburger drums? Ive seen them on some narrow fronts before. Any other narrow front hubs/brake setup that can be recommended, not super interested in the halcraft type but only as a last resort maybe.

Mods can you please remove this identical thread from the tech archives? Thanks
Gee, that's too-bad, because I have in the classifieds just what you're looking-for, apart from it's the "halcraft (sic) type."

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=212118

See the ad for pics.

This is a Hallcraft's small brake drum hub, a.k.a. 'hill-holder,' 'suicide brake,' etc. The axle dia. is 5/8" & it was originally on a D & D/Jammer springer. It comes complete with a brake cable, the actuating arm, the brake stay, which is a double heim joint with zerk grease fittings, not just a crappy piece of strap iron with a couple of holes.

The wheel diameter is 19" and the current tire size fitted to it is a 2.75 X 19". The tire is junk, dry-rotted, and is just there for purpose of showing the size of the wheel. It will be trashed before shipping.

As you can see, the Hallcraft's emblem is still there. An authentic vintage system, when you had to have a front brake to pass vehicle inspection, yet not much-larger than a spool hub. This is a single leading-shoe design drum brake. A single leading-shoe design will actually hold the bike stationary on a hill, while a twin leading-shoe design is actually weaker for that use.

The axle is included, as-mentioned, the front end it was on was a D & D/Jammer springer.

Seller pays shipping, I use the US Postal Service (USPS), as UPS has their head up their fart-hole on their pricing. It will be shipped with tracking and insurance. Payment by USPS is preferred. If you want to use paypal, their fee will be added to the purchase price.

The bearing size is 6203 RS 10 which is equal to a 5/8" X 40 X 12
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
jeffy

Anybody have any relevant info on front hub widths?
Old 04-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
jeffy

Nobody? I figured tuis coild turn into some good info collective here to have some measurements all posted together on how wide certain types of hubs are. Come on guys, everybodys stuck at home anyways go out to the garage with a ruler and straigyt edge and put some numbers up!! Lol.

Also does anybody know how wide a kimtab is with and without flanges bolted onto it?
Old 04-30-2020, 03:44 AM   #5
Dutch Dennoz

There are a few options , mine was a bit out of proportions ...i machined a star hub at about a half an inch smaller to fit between the standard superglide narrow trees combined with 41mm inner legs (lower tree custom made as well).
The only but is that i machined it from a solid bar.
If you buy a aftermarket starhub with rollerbearrings you van cut one flange and shorten the centerpiece and weld it back togheter. I had to get rid of 2 pots from my brake caliper to fit it in the tiny space but asume there are alternatives for that too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B8F0F1E-2532-4D4C-B18F-B291A08DF8ED.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	890.5 KB
ID:	257078   Click image for larger version

Name:	79294D05-42BB-4BAA-BAF7-9A7D0AFACAD8.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	880.2 KB
ID:	257080   Click image for larger version

Name:	F5C0110A-CA60-410E-A097-8B05191EEDD3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	890.8 KB
ID:	257082  

Click image for larger version

Name:	13C5B32B-2BF4-4A6D-93CC-7ADE91877A01.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	822.3 KB
ID:	257084  
Dutch Dennoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:20 AM   #6
Dave Carney

Nice, wish I could own that!
Dave Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:15 AM   #7
Ducbsa

Putting a wrench on those nylok nuts on the inside must have been fun!
Ducbsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #8
Dutch Dennoz

No i invented the socket wrench
Dutch Dennoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #9
Apehanger Hank

My cousin used a Honda 90 front brake hub on a narrow springer. He machined the hub to accept the 5/8" bearings required for the axle. The same hub has been used by Honda on different models for several years. I don't remember the hub width, but probably around 3".