Been busy... with the 68 and trimming! - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #1
[JP]

Default Been busy... with the 68 and trimming!

Hi all,

thought of showing off what I been up to.
the 51 Pan kinda took a tumble to the end of the projects list as we weren't not allowed to ride about in the UK.

Been meaning to do this for ages, getting dual exhausts on the 68 and put hard bags on - that was the plan for this summer so I could return to taking a bike to work, but the bags would allow me to do the school run on the way as could use them to put little one school books and bike gear. or else I'm doomed for commuting in the car all the time. but.. now there's no schools haha and I've been told to be working from home till at least August.

anyway...
Some photos, because we all like photos.
First thing I realised was the oil lines to the oil filter had to be moved - I run an oil filter at the front. now with the squish pipe I had to move the filter to behind the gearbox.
not ideal as it doesn't get any cold air there, but...better to have a filter than no filter at all.

for the exhaust brackets I used an old sissy bar bent and cut to shape.
Took me ages to get everything done because I like symmetry. I can spot something out from a mile away and to me that's just a sloppy job.

but, that's not all I have been busy. done my other project as well, amongst all others, although not a motorcycle. My 74 econoline seats and door cards.
Decided to give a go at trimming. Bought an industrial sewing machine and here's my first projects. Eventually would like to move to bike seats. king and queen and the like. In my head I reckon will be easier than what I've done the seats.

My 76 Shovelhead build - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100698

My 68 Genny Shovel - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=128618
[JP] is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
Ratso

Default Re: Been busy... with the 68 and trimming!

It all looks great. You're a talented guy.

So did you have upholstery experience, or any kind of proficiency with a sewing machine, before you started in on the Ford interior?
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
[JP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
It all looks great. You're a talented guy.

So did you have upholstery experience, or any kind of proficiency with a sewing machine, before you started in on the Ford interior?
Nop.. nothing at all, done a PW80 seat to start with, and watched a lot of videos on youtube and sewn some test pieces together.
Youtube is great to learn about everything.

I've now added to my list of things learning how to engrave casings.
My take on everything is " can't be that hard, if that guy can do it, so can I "

Old 05-18-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
richbob

Good job good attitude
I did sewing at school was home help classes or something
Made a tent,fishing rod bags Etc:
Got expelled for stabbing a guy in bum with unpicking tool
Not sure why I did it.
Got a pick of your sewing machine ?

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
Dutch Dennoz

Symmetry fetish ...+1!!! Nice job on the van as well
Dutch Dennoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #6
[JP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbob View Post
Good job good attitude
I did sewing at school was home help classes or something
Made a tent,fishing rod bags Etc:
Got expelled for stabbing a guy in bum with unpicking tool
Not sure why I did it.
Got a pick of your sewing machine ?
sorry, only photo I had on my phone, can take better one if you want.
It's a Singer 211G, with walking foot and reverse (that's the 2 main things I learned it had to have).
got a bit of a good price on it too as only cost me 200. Only thing I done was swap the clutch motor for a servo motor as its a lot easier to control speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dennoz View Post
Symmetry fetish ...+1!!! Nice job on the van as well
I'm glad i'm not the only one!
I cant understand why people just don't take a little bit longer to make things a bit more perfect. for example, one of my pet hates.... upswept exhausts where they are not perfectly running parallel to each other..why?? why not take an extra 5min and shim it or something so it doesn't look like you just bolted it on and not really put 'yourself' to what you are doing.

Old 05-19-2020, 01:38 AM   #7
Thunderbird

you.ve found yerself a new revenue stream; that up holstery work is spot on likewise with the exhaust brackets, substantial, all running true and unobtrusive.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:47 AM   #8
Dutch Dennoz

I'm glad i'm not the only one!
I cant understand why people just don't take a little bit longer to make things a bit more perfect. for example, one of my pet hates.... upswept exhausts where they are not perfectly running parallel to each other..why?? why not take an extra 5min and shim it or something so it doesn't look like you just bolted it on and not really put 'yourself' to what you are doing.[/QUOTE]

I once bought a honda chaly with the intention to build it together like no one even notice it next to a garbage bin ..not worth putting a lock on it, when i started the project i caught myself spending half an hour to collect 4 of the same bolts and washers to hold the inside of the rear fender...i know it is overdone or on the edge of autistic but its a bit in my dna i guess.
Dutch Dennoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:21 AM   #9
[JP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
you.ve found yerself a new revenue stream; that up holstery work is spot on likewise with the exhaust brackets, substantial, all running true and unobtrusive.

Indeed! I didn't realise how expensive it can be.I knew it cost a fair bit of money, but had no idea how much.

I asked someone who does it for a living and he said on those seats I made, depending on finishing quality they'd cost about 650 to 1000 just in labour!

I have many little side jobs and things I can do, problem is I never think they are good enough and wouldn't feel right charging people for it. So most of the time I rejected doing stuff for others. I have already been asked to do some seats for a friend but said no.

On the other hand I see some of the rubbish work, from people considered professionals, charging lots of money and I think "well, I could have done a better job"
one good example is TIG. my welds are not perfectly stacked dimmes all the time, sometimes I miss a spot here and there, but some of the stuff I see being sold out there is absolutely shocking...

I'm not sure how to get around the moral dilemma in my head so if any of the professionals here can give advice... would be great.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #10
longbow

Thats a nice looking bike good job.
longbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
rhysmort

Stellar as always JP! those seats are so so nice!
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #12
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
Thats a nice looking bike good job.
Yeah, the exhaust came out great.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:05 PM   #13
TATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JP] View Post

I have many little side jobs and things I can do, problem is I never think they are good enough and wouldn't feel right charging people for it.

On the other hand I see some of the rubbish work, from people considered professionals, charging lots of money and I think "well, I could have done a better job"

I'm not sure how to get around the moral dilemma in my head so if any of the professionals here can give advice... would be great.

Here in lies the issue. The difference between doing poor quality work and having no problem charging for it versus being a "perfectionist" and never quite feeling that something is complete. What we are talking about is confidence.

The first few months of being self employed and starting a contractor business were lean to say the least. But at the end of the year I was able to turn a good profit. I had confidence in my abilities. I dont let things slide and my repeat customers trust me. Yes, I make mistakes sometimes. That can kill the confidence, but I always figure it out and still make money.

I dont think you ability is in question. Its more about having the time to take on projects for others. Your stuff can lay dormant for eternity if you wish. They start calling after 2 weeks wanting their shit finished.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #14
[JP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATER View Post

I dont think you ability is in question. Its more about having the time to take on projects for others. Your stuff can lay dormant for eternity if you wish. They start calling after 2 weeks wanting their shit finished.
Yes, the time is a big factor!
I work 8.30 to 5 and I'm a 24/7 single parent to an 8 year old.

Even to work on my stuff I'm often in the garage till midnight and things have to be timed. If I have to cut metal, I do it as soon as we get home so not to make noise late, then after little one is in bed I turn the cameras on and have a monitor in the garage that I can hear her and keep an eye on.
bit of juggling there hahaha

it's been this lockdown time, and we are both at home, albeit i'm still working from home, that has allowed me to get on with loads of jobs, in the garage and in the house.

But anyway, back to time. Big factor. and I think the only way would be to take jobs with no time frame. some people could be up for it - good job, cheaper... but no time frame.
I have a bike seat of a friend that I took on. But my condition was "dont ask me for it in 6 months time, I'll do it whenever I can"
it was one of his spare seats so I know he's not in a hurry, and I want to use as practice but also don't intend to take months on it.