hello,
got a problem,
when i start my shovelhead engine (1979) with a S&S oil pump
the engine throws out 300cc oil
when it is running well then there is no leaking any more
what is my problem????
thx

#4 · (Edited)
Run the bike parked on the jiffy stand with the oil tank cap off for 20 minutes, rev it, idle it, etc. Then stop the bike, shut it off, and install your dipstick/cap.

Level the bike upright.

Measure the oil level exactly then, hot, after running with the oil cap OFF.

Set your oil level to the middle mark on the oil cap.

Remember to always check the level HOT, and keep it exactly right where you set it (middle mark) forever.

Yes, it will sump when you park it for long periods, thus when you park it for a week or so, remove the oil tank dipstick/cap when you start it at home and let it run and get hot.

The vaccum caused by the tank not getting vented by the full of oil engine makes it hard for the oil pump to send it back into the tank. Vent the bitch by removing the oil cap, BUT DO NOT EVER ride it like that.

If it beomes a real pain, remove the oil pump check ball and spring and remove the check ball with a pen magnet, clean it with brakleen, and ever so slightly stretch the spring above the ball. SLIGHTLY!!!

Reinstall the ball first and then the spring and threaded cap with o-ring.

Done deal.

Yes, my beard has gray.

Or, you could be like the RUB that bought my pan that had this happen in winter after he parked it and sent it to a Las Vegas 'Ol School" bobber shop and they told him the engine was toast and he had to rebuild it. LOL!!!

#7 ·
Ok, since we're talking shovels and oil problems here is my problem.

I have an 81 FXWG. When I start the bike my oil pressure gauge shows the pressure around 40 PSI. After riding for about 15-20 minutes the oil pressure drops down to 0-5 PSI.

The oil temp goes up to 120* which tells me that the oil is circulating through the engine. Should I be running a different oil? What oil would you suggest?

G
#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
#11 ·
60 weight.

I wouldn't worry about the gauge. I remember reading a while back that gauges are pointless under 10psi and because of the roller bearings, etc. that 5-10 psi at idle is fine. I'd be listening for shit rather than reading an oil gauge going down the road. I also read that rigid mounting an oil gauge on a shovel is about as useful as tits on a boar, seeing as you'll get more change from vibration than you will pressure.

#16 ·
Not sure what kinda oil tank youre running but can you see oil returning? The S&S pumps sometime require passages to be drilled in cases depending on yr.Are you sure the lower end is the yr you think it is. S&S makes a drilling jig if needed. Overtightening pump bolts has happened in the past. May want the check pump for scoring or key way sheared.Check breather timingwhile your in there.I would say with a stock oil pump the pressure will drop off when bike is hot but the S&S is a much better pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.