Slaughterhouse Sally 63 Pan - Page 5 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 06-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #81
JasonMcElroy

Default Re: Slaughterhouse Sally 63 Pan

A couple things I did to my foot clutch setup . . .

Cut the end off the clutch arm and drilled and tapped (as mentioned) so I could install a rod-end bearing. See curved arrow in pic.

Shorten the lever arm on the foot pedal to get a nice slow release at the clutch. If you look closely at the pic in this area, you'll see an arrow and two lines between the main rotating axis and the rod connection point. You can adjust this length by cutting down the arm and drilling a new hole. The shorter the arm, the less sensitive the clutch will be. I have this bike geared really HIGH and I lived in NYC at the time and needed smooth clutch for riding around town.

Put a piece of rubber oil line hose on the oil tank tab just behind the clutch arm so I wouldn't hear it bang. I hate noises when I'm on long distance rides.

Years after this pic, I installed a round spring on the foot pedal pivot shaft holding it at the release position. Gives it a little extra resistance too as this diaphragm clutch takes almost no effort. Saves the wafer-style throwout bearing I run too.

Made a clutch foot peg that rolls on the shaft. I was teaching myself machining at the time and was practicing knurling. The reason this one rolls is so you can keep your heel grounded on the floorboard and move your foot up and down to release/engage the clutch without the peg binding or sliding on the bottom of your boot.

This thing is like silk. I made this setup in 2003 and it's been that way since without a single failure or hassle.

Jason

p.s. - more random pictures of my old shop in Philly here: Winter morning in Philly shop

JasonMcElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #82
rhysmort

Jason,

I've done similar to you in almost everything you've mentioned, just not quite as pretty. Looks fantastic!
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:13 PM   #83
Ratso

Really nice pitchers. I wish I had such a shop. Or any shop.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2018, 04:35 AM   #84
shovithead

Wish I had the patience to do photos on here. I can do them on the members page with ease. But the process to put them on here, is beyond my willingness to do several procedures, just to find that the photo is to large, or got lost in internet hell.

Nice work Jason. Mind is more of a cobbling of parts, and I don't really try to make mine look like showroom work. Just make it work and not look like hammer and chisel work. But then, I don't do much chopper work. More in the line of decommissioning old chops(I have two, and am working on my third, and have built them in my younger days, just not so much now), and trying to make them look more original. Even though I am a better mechanic than creator of new things. I fab a thing or two , out of pressure from my customers, but I try to use OEM parts where I can. I love the original look, short of a few things.

42 UL long term project
44 Wife and best friend(Keeper for sure)
51 FLH short term project
60 Doc Dytch XLCH Drag only
61 XLCH parts bike
65 XLCH parts bike
66 FLH
68 XLCH parts bike
69 XLH wifies bike
69 XLH daily rider
70 XLH
72 XLH
72 C30 Chevy truck
73 FLH chopper(Shirley the Shovelhead) Daily rider
shovithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #85
TATER

After getting the back brake and clutch roughed out enough to ride, Sally dont wanna start. Like Stevie Ray Vaughn she's flooding down in Texas. I have kicked that bitch like a govt mule. A little rumble and nothing. My (getting) old 155 lbs ass gets worn out quick.

Im taking it to an acquaintance who loves Pans and is familiar w S&S B carbs. The motor rebuild 400 miles ago didnt include any carb work and I suspect we have the issue there. We will go thru the tune up procedure, 1 at a time of course.

Speaking of motors, while verifying that the petcock was working correctly I noticed some oil seepage around the cylinder base studs. A quick pull on a 5/8" wrench and we have a 1/4 turn on the nuts. I could get to most w/o pulling parts but now it looks like I may have to pull the front exhaust and generator. Damn you, Sally ! This bike is like a bad rash. Keeps coming back to irritate me. No worries, she will be saying "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains." soon enough.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #86
TATER

New plugs, different intermediate jet and jettison the Superbowl and we have a winner. Finally got to ride Ol' Sally above 40mph. She will do 70mph no problem.

Revamped foot clutch is working as expected. With the pivot point being above the heel of my boot, its still feels like riding a Ford 8N tractor. Not unpleasant, but something to work on later.

Back brake set-up not great. Altho GMA claims that the Kelsey/Hayes master is a replacement for the Warner style I did need the shorten the rod from brake lever to get the whole shebang mounted. Now pedal is damn near to foot board before making any difference. At that point I can lock it up. Will bleed again to see if that helps.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #87
JAWS

Put your whole foot on the pedal and lever with your heel on the pivot.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #88
TATER

Tap, Tap, Tap. Is this thing on ? Wait...turn up the volume. Ok amp is warmed up.

So I decide to take a Saturday afternoon spin recently. An MC event to be exact. I want to show off to any who care(not many). Ol' Sally fires up like a champ. She and I roll out and all is good in the world. Sun is out, wind in my hair and bugs in my teeth. A glorious day, indeed.

I exit the tollway and take a small back road to where I'm going. 2 blocks later and Sally aint doin it no more. Stalls out. My first thought was fuel. Nope, topped off before leaving. Next thought was the maybe the switch on dash. It has a habit of killing power if wiggled just right. I wiggle switch a bit and check if headlight is on. It is, but dim. Hmm, interesting.

Meanwhile, a helpful local stops to see if he can help. I ask if he could round up a pair of wire strippers and off he goes. The plan is a quick hot-wire job to get her home. 10 seconds after that local leaves, another helpful gent pulls up. This one is an electrician and has a meter. Sweet Jesus, hallelujah ! We check battery and 6 volts. Wait..I'm pretty sure its a 12 volt system. It is a 12 volter, says so on the battery. I assume the worst and claim "Its the generator or voltage regulator".

Helpful local is back and I thank him but the bike wont be fixed on the road. Friendly electrician suggest that he goes home (3 minutes away) and get a trailer to drag Ol' Sally and I back to home turf. I, of course, agree.

Back home, electrician and I discuss mutual acquaintances and how he stops for bikers and veterans. What a delight.He refused any payment for going out of his way.
I make note of his name, recall location of breakdown, 5 second internet search for address and he has a gift card for a steakhouse in the mail.

After helpful electrician is gone, I take a look under the seat. Unhook battery and go about charging it up. My charger is one of those auto, LED, noisy bastards that is a set-it-and-foget-it type. I barley had time to light up a cig when it makes a "ding-ding, Im done" sound. WTF ? A closer inspection reveals a burnt wire along frame a few inches past the seat post. No big deal, Replace and re-route. Sally fires right up and problem solved.

I could leave leave this mess of all-black wiring with pinched and cut bits everywhere or yank it all and start over.

I know the basics. Been there, done that.

So before I start I have but 1 question...is 14ga wire good enough from Franks voltage regulator to battery or is 12ga a better choice ?
Old 08-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #89
shovithead

14 is good, as 12 is like cable and maybe to big to push the voltage through with only about 10 amps. Unless you have a CE high amp genny. And even then, 14 is plenty big. The Franks reg, is only to regulate the amps/volts from the genny. So, do it up with 14, and you should be good. Sometimes I even run 16 on my OEM gennys with OEM regulators.

42 UL long term project
61 XLCH parts bike
65 XLCH parts bike
66 FLH
68 XLCH parts bike
69 XLH wifies bike
69 XLH daily rider
70 XLH
72 XLH
72 C30 Chevy truck
Old 08-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #90
TATER

I read the manual and attack the dash switch. I'm a little hesitant but once the brass barbell is out it all falls into (or out off) place.

Crusty

Not crusty

A few minutes with a small stainless steel brush and all is good. One terminal was a bit loose but a slight tap w punch tightened it up. Minor amount of grease and switch works way better.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #91
shovithead

Instead of grease, use dielectric silicone paste. Grease will turn to carbon gunk and prevent continuity. Dielectric silicone will promote continuity, and make it stay corrosion free for a long time. I use it on all connections, here on the coast, where we get a lot of salt spray, and it keeps corrosion from forming. Plus it is as good for being slippery as grease, but better for any electrical connection. I also use it for orings, to make them slip on and slide into tight places. It keeps rubber from aging and cracking as well. But, that is me. And sometimes I am a strange guy. haha

42 UL long term project
61 XLCH parts bike
65 XLCH parts bike
66 FLH
68 XLCH parts bike
69 XLH wifies bike
69 XLH daily rider
70 XLH
72 XLH
72 C30 Chevy truck
Old 08-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #92
KCgran

On the wire gauge selection process. You don’t determine wire gauge by what your able to produce, but what your electrical system is able to draw. The regulator diverts the excess energy produced by your alt/gen. As your wire diameter gets bigger resistance goes DOWN, not up. The length of the wire plays a part in this also. Let’s say you are capable of pulling a total of 3 amps when every component of your electrical system is on. You could pull this across a VERY short distance of 24 gauge wire because it is short and therefore doesn’t have time to build up resistance despite its diminutive diameter. As the length you need to pull that 3 amps gets longer, your wire diameter needs to get bigger because of the added resistance caused by the length of the wire.
The type of wire used plays a part as well. There is less resistance in a fine, multi strand 14 gauge wire than 14 gauge wire with fewer, thicker wires in it. Why? Because gauge is measured by the outside diameter of the copper strands. There is actually more “surface” area of copper in a cross section of fine strand 14 gauge wire because the individual strands “nest” closer than the thicker strands do. More material equals less resistance which equals an ability to draw more current across the wire.
Remember,resistance is what creates heat , to much resistance creates to much heat and causes the wire to burn. A wire is just like a fuse, if you put to many components on the wire, therefore PULLING too much current across it, it burns. It’s just a little more dramatic than blowing a fuse
Old 08-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #93
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

^This.

12g. would be preferable, 14g. will get the job done.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #94
joe49

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovithead View Post
to make them slip on and slide into tight places. And sometimes I am a strange guy. haha
..you maybe on to something.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #95
JasonMcElroy

Thank you, KCgran!

Jason
JasonMcElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #96
TATER

As far as grease on the switch, I only dabbed a minor amount where metal to metal contact is on the case. I have nothing on brass "nubs" or barbell. I do have an old can of silly cone grease to use on wire terminals but will leave brass alone.

Speaking of barbell, if you look at pic you can see a groove where nubs have left their mark. I rotated barbell 120 degrees to get fresh meat on the nubs. That leaves another 120 degrees for the next switch rebuild. Hopefully another 50 years down the road.

I remember the electronics classes I took in high school and thought 12 ga wire was the way to go. Although the old shovel rewire I did 10 years ago was all 14/16 ga. I dont recall what the regulator wire gauge was. 32 amp Softail setup. I like my batteries over charged to keep the ass warm on cold rides.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #97
joe49

Your in Tx it doesn't get cold.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:47 AM   #98
rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATER View Post
My ability to post has been hampered by my career as a standup comedy/male stripper. Business is good. Lots of laughs, but I think they are paying me to leave rather than to stay.
Just like a Hooker!
Old 08-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #99
TATER

While soaking swingarm in Evaporust I tossed dirty dash base into the drink and gave it a stir. Sprinkle some magic fairy dust and we have super clean !

Another from the back. Bulb sockets look OK also

So lets chat about wire routing. Obviously, the primary from regulator has to go back to battery. I would think(as did previous butcher) up the leg, down backbone. Switch connects are down the backbone as well.

Is there a better, sanitary route ? Lets recall the burnt wire from a few post previous. Other than brake light switch, aint much on right side.

Current debauchery

Old 08-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #100
TATER

Wiring Complete.

Turned out fairly well.

That is all for now. Tins coming next.