Slaughterhouse Sally 63 Pan - Page 3 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #41
TATER

Default Re: Slaughterhouse Sally 63 Pan

You talked me out of it. I was moments away from giving it a go. The broken tube inside the forging was the deciding factor. Or was it the pre-heat? Might have been all the questions.

I have a shop in mind to do the weld. I read up on the pre-heat needed to get a good weld and will pass it on to the welder. Should be fun considering the amount of oil, chain lube and full gas tanks.

Other than get paint off of area and pre-heat, What else ? Good cut thru crack like frame a couple of posts ago ?
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #42
joe49

what else?
Do not clean the weld area with brake cleaner.
Leave the joint prep to the guy welding it.
Advise him you want a 100 percent weld.

If you did use brake cleaner inform your welder that you did.
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:13 PM   #43
tomsoftail

I almost feel guilty about that thread... I ended up selling the frame to a fellow jj'er who fixed it then sold it for more money.

In the end I swapped for an FX Springer front the late 90s, that is still on my softail.

I'm excited that the search function works fairly well on this site too!
. wish I was more help, OP.
tomsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2018, 01:54 AM   #44
Thunderbird

is the recommendation for pre heat because of the cast bracket section of frame?
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:20 AM   #45
Speeding Big Twin

Quote: 'I tightened up the allen screws today. 1 on the front felt a little soft when snugged. So far so good.’

My Pan still had H-D screws when I bought it but I converted to allen-heads a long time ago. The 58–68 catalog shows a washer and it was available for use 54–65:

However, the catalog listing says ‘as req’ so the washers weren’t always fitted as original.

Re the frame, the factory fitted a left-side gusset as original beginning with mid-68 models but it was available as repair part #47261-68 for frames back through 58:

I’ve also seen a similar gusset at the back of the R-H rear downtube on some 1984 frames and I think they were original from the factory.

Looks like your swingarm pivot bolt has a nut on the left end. I wonder if the left forging is stripped because normally the bolt threads into it and no nut is required. However, my H-D catalogs do list two nuts: #7980 which is 5/16-18 x 7/16 x 7/8; and #7813 which is 5/16-18 x 9/16 x 15/16.
Eric
Speeding Big Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #46
TATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
what else?
Do not clean the weld area with brake cleaner.
Leave the joint prep to the guy welding it.
Advise him you want a 100 percent weld.

If you did use brake cleaner inform your welder that you did.

I remember the bald guy doing tech articles for The Horse mag getting deathly ill from brake cleaner while welding.

What about Gunk Engine Cleaner ? I plan to get the ass end Gunked up and hosed off before delivering bike.

100 percent weld ? More info please.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #47
TATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
Quote: '
Re the frame, the factory fitted a left-side gusset as original beginning with mid-68 models but it was available as repair part #47261-68 for frames back through 58:

I’ve also seen a similar gusset at the back of the R-H rear downtube on some 1984 frames and I think they were original from the factory.

Looks like your swingarm pivot bolt has a nut on the left end. I wonder if the left forging is stripped because normally the bolt threads into it and no nut is required. However, my H-D catalogs do list two nuts: #7980 which is 5/16-18 x 7/16 x 7/8; and #7813 which is 5/16-18 x 9/16 x 15/16.
Eric

I found some new made gussets online. Im not gonna cut off the one I have on now. Altho the weld looks fugly, it appears functional. Will clean up with a flap wheel.

I thought the swingarm bolt was goofy also. The shovel swinger I had was threaded to frame. 5/16-18 seems very small. Digital caliper on the inside of ny-lock nut is 1/2" so most likely a 5/8" .
Old 05-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #48
rooster

I remember that bike from the TV biker fad days. Glad to see it getting some Jokey love...
Old 05-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #49
joe49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
is the recommendation for pre heat because of the cast bracket section of frame?
Quick answer.
https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...at-detail.aspx
Yes, cast to plate or tube is happier with preheat.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #50
joe49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATER View Post
I remember the bald guy doing tech articles for The Horse mag getting deathly ill from brake cleaner while welding.

What about Gunk Engine Cleaner ? I plan to get the ass end Gunked up and hosed off before delivering bike.

100 percent weld ? More info please.

Soap and water, denatured alcohol, oven cleaner, or Gunk. but the weld prep wire wheeling and grinding will take care of the cleaning,

100 percent weld ? More info please. You have a tube that failed. Would you leave the tube crack less than fully welded? No you weld the entire crack all the way threw. Actually you end up with protrusion on the inside the tube that will appear as a bead. So even if you return the outside to original dimensions you will have more metal than the original parent tube.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:25 AM   #51
Speeding Big Twin

Quote:
I thought the swingarm bolt was goofy also. The shovel swinger I had was threaded to frame. 5/16-18 seems very small. Digital caliper on the inside of ny-lock nut is 1/2" so most likely a 5/8" .
You’re right, 5/16 is too small so I apologise for the error. I copied the details straight out of my H-D FL/FLH catalogs but I should have noticed they were wrong. I just checked my H-D FX catalog and it too has the wrong size (5/16). I have an old pivot bolt here which I just measured and the thread looks like 5/8”.
Eric
Speeding Big Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #52
TATER

Back from the welder. 3 passes w/ TIG.

After clean up and some paint

Homemade gusset isnt too far off from HD . I had to square off the edges and straighten out the cuts. As much as I would like to have some weld showing on gusset, it was far too ugly. So now we have a "molded" frame. So to speak.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #53
TATER

And now for our regularly scheduled programming...

Rear Brakes. Lets review.

Wagner style master that stayed stuck. After disconnecting hardline it bribbled like Stormy Daniels for 2 days. Boo !

Pulled apart and was in fact set up for disc. Yea ! Rusty brake fluid. Boo !
Into recycling pile.

New Master installed. GMA 5/8 bore Wagner replacement. Yep, its a rectangle. Boo!. Natural Alum finish to blend in a little better. Yea! Works w/ footboards. So original wagner had a spacer on 1 bolt, a stack of washers on the other. Boo!. I found some 1/2" aluminum "pucks" in the junk drawer (left over from homemade forward control plate). Waste from hole saw. Cleaned 'em up and now master has clearance from cam cover.

Grabbed a hardline from auto parts store and bent up a primary line along frame to under transmission. Tee fitting and new brake light switch and now waiting on flex line to caliper.

Did someone say caliper ?

Ok, hear we go. Not a fan of bananas. Banana pudding, yes ! Bananas Foster, maybe (I thought that was a Vaudeville comedian). But banana caliper, No. Boo!. I tried everything in the book and forums to make the 77 Lowrider slide the rear. It did for a month, then same old shit. That got swapped for a 2000 HD 4 piston rear caliper. Night and day difference.

I have also used Tokico's with success so thats what I had planned to work w/ Fab Kev bracket laying around. Calipers are cheap, rotors also.
Then I found a Brembo caliper. Not an exact fit on bracket, but a little clearance work and its on.

Yes, its a big ass rotor and yes, the caliper has BMW letters. I thought I could add some Continental flair. Letters will be gone soon. The Brembo is a little cleaner profile than Tokico. Corners are rounded rather than a squarish profile. Hardest part is getting caliper centered. Working out brake stay in the meanwhile.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #54
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

I like it. I'd keep the BMW, personally.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #55
Ratso

I agree. Your bike has to have *some* class.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #56
TATER

Careful grind, flap, file and emery cloth and we have this...

Hooty-hoot.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #57
joe49

Quote:
In your earlier picture I didn't notice how ground to hell this tube was. I would make another trip to the welder. He could jut weld to add the metal back to the areas that have been ground thin. ...or do a section repair which would mean R/R the tube. I'm thinking this is not if, but when will it fail again.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #58
JAWS

chop it, stretch it and hardtail....looooooong bike. That will fix all the problems and help with a midlife crisis I am told.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #59
TATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
In your earlier picture I didn't notice how ground to hell this tube was. I would make another trip to the welder. He could jut weld to add the metal back to the areas that have been ground thin. ...or do a section repair which would mean R/R the tube. I'm thinking this is not if, but when will it fail again.

I agree that there is way too much grinding from original repair.

Not as bad as this ...

Could be the gusset welder needed a place for ground clamp. LOL

For now I plan to make bike a reliable rider w/o everything falling off. Everything needs attention. Some ares more than others.

Ol' Sally hasn't been kicked in anger for almost 2 weeks. I just wanna ride.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #60
JasonMcElroy

Let me be a contrarian here . . .

. . . I'd ride it just like that. You'll know when it breaks, if it ever even does.

Since you're not flying around race tracks at 100+mph I don't think the risk is that severe.

I've had my frame break at the upper and lower seat tube and at the gusset point yours has on a few occasions out on the road. Wasn't a big deal. Felt a new vibration, found the break, and fixed it.

NYC beats the shit out of these old frames.

So do 90hp motors.

As does being in your 20s ;-0

Still here (haven't died yet).

Jason
JasonMcElroy is offline   Reply With Quote