SU and tickler pump - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 06-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
rhysmort

Default SU and tickler pump

Hey all,

I've got myself a nice SU from a guy state side. Sorry if this sounds daft but he's given me a tickler pump to put on the carb.. I cannot see if I'm missing parts or how it attaches to the carb? it's the SU with the choke on the right of the bowl with the throttle mechanism like the links, pull through tighten. The piston is seating nicely, spring is good etc.. I'm just a little lost..!

any help and diagrams of how to much appreciated!
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Default Re: SU and tickler pump

Picture?
Old 06-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
joe49

I'm believe the ticklers enrich the mixture for cold starts by raising the fuel level in the bowl, while a choke increases vacuum on the jets to pull more fuel. So it is a either or you don't need both. That said I don't know much about SU carbs, so I'm interested in the pictures of this, and the explanation of how it works on SU carbs.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
Picture?
Got it apart polishing at the mo. I think it's an elim, it's not like a car with choke on the bottom etc. Will get pics up asap!
Old 06-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
Lester

Are you sure its not just the enricher? Pictures!

Lester
'72 Triumph Bonneville Nothing special
'80's couple of Jap chops too
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
rhysmort

Pics coming online now! I don't know much about these guys, I know how they work internally!

Also polished the link! haha!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2888.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	835.6 KB
ID:	251473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2889.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	838.9 KB
ID:	251481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2890.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	876.0 KB
ID:	251489  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2892.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	730.9 KB
ID:	251497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2891.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	876.4 KB
ID:	251505  
Old 06-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Looks like an HIF SU, not an Eliminator, I don't think. That presses in towards the front of the motorcycle...I think in the same spot you can see that brass pipe hanging out.

A true Eliminator has a fast idle cam setup...it looks like you might have one of those on that HIF. Can you take a pic of it head-on? I can't see if you have a choke or not.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #8
rhysmort

Quote:
Looks like an HIF SU, not an Eliminator, I don't think. That presses in towards the front of the motorcycle...I think in the same spot you can see that brass pipe hanging out.

A true Eliminator has a fast idle cam setup...it looks like you might have one of those on that HIF. Can you take a pic of it head-on? I can't see if you have a choke or not.
There's no choke on it dude! just the high idle cam!

It looks like what's not there is called a hot start valve.. it's not infact a tickler pump!? is it still usable on my pan?! guy thought it was meant to be a tickler but reading online it says "hot start" valve? not a clue!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

So your carb body has just one plate at the engine side and the round slide at the other, yes?
Old 06-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
rhysmort

Quote:
So your carb body has just one plate at the engine side and the round slide at the other, yes?
Yes dude! I'm just lost how you get the tickler punch attached to the area by the fuel inlet.. I've seen a guys shovel on here with it.. but it can't just rest in there.. it'll fall out! It's not a rivera one for sure, throttle is on the right by the fast idle.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #11
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

That's what I'm saying, I believe that tickler elbow gets pressed into the carb body, on the other side of the fuel inlet. I don't think a tickler is necessarily compatible with all SUs without some work.

Also remember you don't need a choke... I don't have one on mine. Pop the air cleaner, seal off the mouth, kick and let the fuel pull into the jugs, flick on ignition and start kicking in earnest...
Old 06-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #12
rhysmort

Quote:
That's what I'm saying, I believe that tickler elbow gets pressed into the carb body, on the other side of the fuel inlet. I don't think a tickler is necessarily compatible with all SUs without some work.

Also remember you don't need a choke... I don't have one on mine. Pop the air cleaner, seal off the mouth, kick and let the fuel pull into the jugs, flick on ignition and start kicking in earnest...
It does get pressed into it does it? that's what I'm asking, must be a fair bit of force to get it in.

I can't deal with taking my air cleaner off every time I want to start it!!! haha.

Can you not leave the fast idle off kick through and then fast idle it and kick?
Old 06-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #13
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

I think it gets pressed in. Not positive, but pretty sure.

You can always make a choke flap that slides between the air cleaner body or something for it. Get it on and running good first.

You can kick through, but to pull the fuel from the bowl to the jugs, you need big vacuum. It's easier to get that by literally choking the carb. Maybe the fast idle will be fine on its own, maybe not. I thought the fast idle cam was just an alternate way to leave the throttle cracked, but mayhaps I am wrong.

Try it and see! And let me know if you wanna sell that M74B
Old 06-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #14
rhysmort

Quote:
I think it gets pressed in. Not positive, but pretty sure.

You can always make a choke flap that slides between the air cleaner body or something for it. Get it on and running good first.

You can kick through, but to pull the fuel from the bowl to the jugs, you need big vacuum. It's easier to get that by literally choking the carb. Maybe the fast idle will be fine on its own, maybe not. I thought the fast idle cam was just an alternate way to leave the throttle cracked, but mayhaps I am wrong.

Try it and see! And let me know if you wanna sell that M74B
It' took a small amount of drilling the taper to get the tickler to press fit.. With that mechanically sealed in like new I think it's good to go. Got her back together.. just have to button my heads down, time her and give her some heat cycles with the new gaskets.

Thanks dude, planning on keeping it for the time being. Shovit is eyeing up some rigid cone shovels for me, if I find one to buy I may sell it then to offset some cost. Just fully rebuilt her she's like new!You can have first dibs!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #15
shovithead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmort View Post
It' took a small amount of drilling the taper to get the tickler to press fit.. With that mechanically sealed in like new I think it's good to go. Got her back together.. just have to button my heads down, time her and give her some heat cycles with the new gaskets.

Thanks dude, planning on keeping it for the time being. Shovit is eyeing up some rigid cone shovels for me, if I find one to buy I may sell it then to offset some cost. Just fully rebuilt her she's like new!You can have first dibs!

After me. lol. Just kidding. I have several. But having several plus one more is better. haha Lemmy can have first dibs. haha I owe him anyway, even though he says NOT.

42 UL long term project
44 Wife and best friend(Keeper for sure)
51 FLH short term project
60 Doc Dytch XLCH Drag only
61 XLCH parts bike
65 XLCH parts bike
66 FLH
68 XLCH parts bike
69 XLH wifies bike
69 XLH daily rider
70 XLH
72 XLH
72 C30 Chevy truck
73 FLH chopper(Shirley the Shovelhead) Daily rider
shovithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #16
Lester

I would like to make a choke flap... just have to figure out a simple clean way to do it. Don’t wNt to fiddel with the aor cleaner off ect all the time.

Lester
'72 Triumph Bonneville Nothing special
'80's couple of Jap chops too
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote