Musings on the SU carb - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 06-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #21
Tim The Grim

Default Re: Musings on the SU carb

Back in ‘72 I was following the magazine articles by the late Randy Smith of “Custom Cycle Engineering”. I picked up the recommended HD type SU off a ‘67 TR4 and got my needle and rebuild parts from Nisinger Motors. I had one of those long banana adapters on the 4 bolt plumber manifold which gave me an almost 13” intake.
I ran 36” drags with lollipops and I had no problems with CH or Honda 750 K4s.
When I say this old 54KHK flathead did 120+, people like to poopoo that under their breath, but the difference between the SU with its manifold against the old M53-A1 and some Sunoco 260 was what it took to get the oomph in the top end that pulled the 23 tooth CS sprocket to that speed.
Easy starting, smooth running and zero leg room. It will run again.

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #22
Lester

Great informative thread! Thanks
Got an eliminator on my Pan.... what a fine carb it is after yrs with S&S
I would only change it for a Linkert.... maybe

Lester
'72 Triumph Bonneville Nothing special
'80's couple of Jap chops too
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #23
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Great informative thread! Thanks
Got an eliminator on my Pan.... what a fine carb it is after yrs with S&S
I would only change it for a Linkert.... maybe

Lester
Interesting you say that... I have a link.. I may change it for an SU.. but I wan't one with a choke! Only thing is my link is so tucked away it's neat!

Jason, thank you for the info, the old man has 3 HD8? SU's on his 61 Etype.
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #24
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMcElroy View Post
As I understand it, the Rivera Eliminator versions are based on HIF models. I know at the time I bought my first one (Elim II) in '98, they were still being made.

I think this one is an earlier Eliminator I. Date stamp shows '93 which sounds about right (but I'm not an expert in these).

Getting any details beyond marketing hype from Rivera about how exactly theirs differ from original is impossible. Want a good laugh? Read this Benefits and Features

They basically take credit for the design and don't point out anything that they've done.

I tried to get some tuning help from their tech years ago and they were pretty useless. Basically "keep fucking with it until it's good". A far cry from the "best carb every built in the history of automotive design!!! 5 min install! Needs no tuning!"

So now they live in my stash ;-0

Ran pretty well on my 74" shovel for a couple years.

Jason

p.s. - send real beer to San Jose. All we have is bitter hipster shit that gets you drunk off a short glass

Rivera Primo is currently defunct. Keep that SU; it's chopper gold, Jason! FYI, I don't think RP made the carbs. SU made them... and still does. They are up and running. RP would just modify them and I think they paid SU to license the name. That ad sounds basically like the old SuperVee ads in the magazines. "Tastes great! Less filling!"

And you say the word and I can get some Generator Cream Ale on the way to you. (In fairness, I like the bitter hipster shit, too. I'm pretty friendly with most beers.)

Tim, that KHK is the bee's knees.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #25
rhysmort

Question guys.. if I get a 1 1/2 SU off a car how much work is it to adapt to fit on my panhead? except the obvious like needle etc will it bolt on and work?
Old 06-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #26
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmort View Post
Question guys.. if I get a 1 1/2 SU off a car how much work is it to adapt to fit on my panhead? except the obvious like needle etc will it bolt on and work?
I'm not sure if a 1 1/2" is the way to go, personally... the 1 3/4" seems to be the popular way to fly. But maybe it would have better low-end pullin' power.

You'll need either an adapter for your 4-bolt manifold to an SU bolt pattern or a plumber's manifold made for SU. You'll want to consider total length; a bent manifold may give you leg and tank clearance if you don't have it.

You'll need to rig up some way to work the throttle shaft.

And you'll need to rework your fuel line some.

And then all you need to do is tune it...
Old 06-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #27
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
I'm not sure if a 1 1/2" is the way to go, personally... the 1 3/4" seems to be the popular way to fly. But maybe it would have better low-end pullin' power.

You'll need either an adapter for your 4-bolt manifold to an SU bolt pattern or a plumber's manifold made for SU. You'll want to consider total length; a bent manifold may give you leg and tank clearance if you don't have it.

You'll need to rig up some way to work the throttle shaft.

And you'll need to rework your fuel line some.

And then all you need to do is tune it...
Thanks Liam, Because I have a 1 1/2 link I assumed was the way to go, but they come off Austin mini which is 1000CC so makes sense. It's not a massive diff I guess!

mmm I wonder can you adapt an S&S intake for it?
Old 06-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #28
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Or just buy the Linkert SU adaptor or the Pan/SU intake... neither is particularly hard to come by or very expensive.