Jockey Journal Forum banner

1965 motor and tranny in a 58-64 frame

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Apehanger Hank 
#1 ·
I have a nice 65 motor and tranny in a pre 65 swing arm frame ..I have been told that to convert to e-start can not be done ...wont fit !... I have seen some e-start primaries on rigid frame harley s ,...can anyone explain to me what is the main problem fitting cast e-start primaries on a 58-64 frame?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Think about what major changes and why to produce the first e start big twins.
Frame tubes were raised to clear a different oil tank and battery.
The oil tank was changed to gain room for the starter motor and the larger primary and the battery grown in size to power the starter.

Stock oil tanks and the battery from a 65 and up will be pinched by 58-64 frame tubes. The stock kick only 58-64 oil tank will crash into the starter and aluminum primary cases and will not contain a strong enough battery for an electric starter.

If you can stray from oem parts and by altering oil tanks and also gain room for a large enough battery to power a starter... It can and has been done many times. One way is to slightly alter the top of the later box shaped e start oil tank and use an fxe size battery in an altered size tray. another way is to build a round tube oil tank with an inset battery. I am sure there is as many different ways of doing it so do what works best for you. Will you follow mostly form or function? For me what works best for only me is first and form or tradition (whatever that means to you) is a distant secondary for my bikes.

#4 ·
ok ...so your sayin that the inner primary will line up to the C/L of the tranny shaft and the motor sproket shaft ...I was led to believe that the inner primary would not align correctly to bolt up ..I can deal with the other problems ....jus nuts and bolts ! THANX

#7 ·
Yes, a complete engine, trans and primary from an e start will bolt into a kick only frame.
Trans and engine mounting is all the same.
The rear chain run is in the same location off set from center.
The trans mount plates did change a few times through the years. Kick only mount plates are made to align and guide the trans case when adjusting the primary drive. E start trans plates are still slotted for trans movement but are not near as precise at locating and aligning a trans. The e start trans plates simply let the trans case move around while the cast inner primary chain case locates the trans.
The front of the trans plate mount locations did change on the early four speed frames (rigid) The left front plate to frame bolt is moved over roughly 1/4". For those, think mechanical brake and then hydraulic brake... there was a need for room for a brake lever.

#5 ·
Hey Blewcrab, I have a Kick only shovelhead in a swingarm frame & suffer bad from arthritis & joint disease so cannot kick anymore, I didnt wanna change all my primary 3'' belt etc for stock covers so I have Just bought this set up by W&W in Germany, I hope to get it next week & fit it a week later, you should check it out, a lot of money but the best set up I have seen ... https://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WebSite.woa/wa/DirectAction?navi=1&page=!228757

#10 · (Edited)
I just found this electric start horseshoe oiltank on Instagram. He modifies 58-64 tanks by sectioning the bottom to clear starters, primary housings etc. fits ratchet or turtle top. I'm going to buy one for my bike.

Looks like these tanks are modified for 65 and up frames. I am sure he could modify just the bottom of a tank for a 64 frame.

https://oldgloryhandcrafted.bigcartel.com/product/swinger-oil-tank-pre-order

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.