NZ Shovelhead build - Page 3 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #41
Ratso

Default Re: NZ Shovelhead build

That is an outstanding speedo mount (I hope you have space to put a little rubber between the instrument and its possibly vibratory bracket though, or that that is not an issue). You guys with talent and ability make me cranky.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #42
NZT100

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitJason View Post
Rad thread man! Bike is looking bitchin
Thanks Jason, appreciate that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
That is an outstanding speedo mount (I hope you have space to put a little rubber between the instrument and its possibly vibratory bracket though, or that that is not an issue). You guys with talent and ability make me cranky.
TBH Ratso i hadn't considered vibration or the longevity of the speedo being mounted here. Its primarily to tick the "laws" box and so that it looks cool/is hidden away. Thanks but I dont believe i'm the most talented fabricator TBH, just try to take my time and do things right the first time round. I probably spend 5x as much time thinking about how to do something vs actually doing it...i think thats my trick haha.
NZT100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #43
NZT100

Fair bit of progress the last few weeks.

I completed the oil lines with the new tube bender i got. I ended up remaking them all as this bender left a far better quality bend. The result was really nice and i took some time to polish the tube fittings while i was at it. These lines will get a re-polish before final assembly.

Next job was to take care of the gas tank. I'm not a fan of the dual petcock at the rear. these re-pop tanks come with. The original stle wassell tanks weren't setup like this for a start but also it makes fuel line routing pretty bad as your fuel lines need to run in front of the heads, it also bugs me due to not allowing any fuel crossover....so i fixed it.

Cut off the original petcock mounts, fill with weld and linish (just roughed in for now)

Next, drill holes for the fuel crossover, new petcock bung, polish and bend the 1/4" SS tube for the crossover, sand machine the Swagelok fittings to be welded in.

Weld em up using 309 filler wire and done (dont have a pic of the done up close..my bad)

Next was exhaust mount time. Im using Paughco shotgun exhaust and Emgo's mufflers. Id previously made up these copper spigot seals ot get the mufflers to sit nice as the ID on the muffler was a fair bti bigger than the OD on the exhaust tube.

I then designed some mounts and made them up. Rear mount uses the two holes on the axle plate with CSK screws and a plate to attached to the mufflers.

Tacked in place and then welded up.

Front lower mount is juts a simple tab welded to the frame. Managed to keep a bee's dick of clearance between the frame exhaust and motor...stoked.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #44
NZT100

The i rolled it outside for the first time to take a look at everything.

Will be a bit quiet the next few weeks as have a bit on but be back into it soon enough!!
Old 07-29-2019, 02:46 AM   #45
rhysmort

Looks great man!! that tank work is killer.

Question though? Why not get an OG Wassell?
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #46
NZT100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmort View Post
Looks great man!! that tank work is killer.

Question though? Why not get an OG Wassell?
Mainly convenience TBH, i placed an order to the US a while back and grabbed this while i was at it. I also liked that it was mid-tunnel.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #47
NZT100

Been back at things after a hiatus due to life...basically been trying to button up all my loose ends.

Got the brake lines done, had them made by HEL in SS braid and hid the pressure switch behind the tin primary. Really happy with how they came out.

I then started working on setting chain tension to check the brake plate banjo bolt clearance to the axle plate and ran into an issue.
- With a 100 link chain the banjo hit at the front of the axle plate
- With a 102 link chain i couldn't get chain tension before the banjo hit the rear of the brake plate where the sissy bar will mount too
- A slight change in primary belt tension helped neither case
The fix was to remake the brake anchor mount, this time round though i incorporated a brake line mount into it also.

I then wanted to get the battery box/oil tank area finished up. I made a new floor for the oil tank to act as the battery tray, a removable fuse mount, and a battery clamp. The battery clamp is made of some 5/16" threaded rods and uses welded nuts on the bottom of the oil tank to thread into. It all works perfect and is really tidy which im happy about.

I also had to make some changes ot the clutch cable mount so i re-made this from 5mm SS.

And lastly, fixed my mistake..i'd previously welded in the petcock bung upside down (NPT)...nice one i know. So i re-made this and welded it in. I then marked out the top motor mount and drilled a through hole for the fuel line. This may need to be drilled larger and a grommet added just yet but well see.

Last edited by NZT100; 09-08-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:44 AM   #48
rhysmort

Really neat work man. Can't wait to see you get this one on the road! Summer fast approaches for you guys too!!
Old 08-26-2019, 10:27 PM   #49
NZT100

Quote:
Really neat work man. Can't wait to see you get this one on the road! Summer fast approaches for you guys too!!
Thanks Rhys! Tell me about it...coming round all too soon. Considering i only get a few hours on Saturday mornings in the workshop im proud of the progress to date, still a lot to do though and feels like not much time!!

All the small stuff eats hours like crazy.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #50
Cpt.Fred

ok, i'm going to scrap mine instead of finishing it.

this looks awesome!
Old 09-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #51
NZT100

Another weekend of bits and pieces done, or mostly done.

Decided i could wire the bike up, or at least the ignition side, headlight, speedo etc. Basically i aimed to crimp, solder, and heatshrink every join, as well as run as much of it hidden as possible, since there wasnt too much wiring it was a pretty simple affair. Some pics -

I also drilled and mounted a Hi/Lo switch into the headlight bucket which came out good.

I wrapped the speedo cable and wiring in this braided wrap around cover...not sure on this yet and i may change it out on final assembly

My "garage for this job"..

Here was the oil tank/electrical location once done. Bear in mind i still need to tidy this up but its good for now, final assembly will be tidier. The circuit basically has a 30A fuse from Battery to ignition, ignition switch then runs to the fuse block with each circuit individually fused from there. Should be a pretty durable and safe setup.

Got some new parts fitted as well, new Fuel filter my friend Steve makes which is killer, and got the I-Beam kicker on there (had to shim with some feeler gauge as you can see in the pic

Really loving the way the A-Side is looking now

Still not sold on what bars to run, ill finish my risers this week so should be a fun process deciding then...risers are 6.5" tall..bar options are 9" apes or 5.5" Z bars....hmmmm

And lastly, my Cooper Smithing fender came in....holy crap what a piece of art!! Cant recommend Joe enough to work with either, absolute legend!! Dummied things up for a look and here where we stand ATM.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:27 AM   #52
rhysmort

Looking great man!

Apes for me all day. Wiring looks spot on, super super neat!!
Old 09-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #53
Ratso

Sure 'nough. It's looking fine, and yeah, what I can see of the fender suggests that it's excellent in all directions.

Z bars z bars z bars z bars. Please. You know it's the right thing to do.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #54
Rigpig

Looking awesome! I'm interested in seeing what you'll be doing with the seat/seat pan/springs etc...
Rigpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #55
VonWegener

What a great thread. So much imagination and problem solving.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #56
NZT100

Quote:
Looking great man!

Apes for me all day. Wiring looks spot on, super super neat!!
Thanks Rhys, it worked out well, planning to add a kill switch yet as the key is non-captured and wont to be able to kill the bike when i park it up, should be easy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
Z bars z bars z bars z bars. Please. You know it's the right thing to do.
I'll be putting both sets on so ill post pics of the Z's and the Apes....we'll see from there. Im leaning toward the Z's too at this stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigpig View Post
Looking awesome! I'm interested in seeing what you'll be doing with the seat/seat pan/springs etc...
Plan for seat is a 2-Up cobra style, like this here - https://bnccycles.com/collections/se...her-cobra-seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
What a great thread. So much imagination and problem solving.
Thanks mate, it's been a hell of a learning curve so far!!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #57
NZT100

Made my key switch mount and got that bolted on last night. Made from 316 SS and will get a polish on tear down.

Next i tried on a few sets of bars last night, the risers aren't done yet but they were far enough along i could actually clamp them on. This is the first time i've had bars on this bike so was a pretty big millstone for me. I'm stoked on both setups but will run with the 9" apes for now.

Z's

9" Apes

Running the Lowbrow Beck grips which im really happy with too.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #58
NZT100

Been a few weeks since i last updated and not a heap of progress. Waiting on some parts so has been a nice breather in the meanwhile.

I did manage to get my risers finished though!! I'd always wanted to try to build a dog leg I-Beam style riser so gave it a nudge. Here some photos of the process and finished product.

First thing i did was model the end product up in SolidWorks so i had a plan in place. This did change slightly over the duration of the project but it ended up pretty close.

Next was to mill some 16mm thick Mild Steel into the I-Beam profile and turn the clamp ends up, i also turned the bolt logs too but didnt grab a photo of these.

Next a made a jig so that i could bend the I beam profile into shape. Its made from 10mm thick MS plate and turned rollers that match the I-Beam profile (near enough to anyways). Id calculated the bend angles from my model and did some quick math so i new the tonnage id need to bend it. Sourced some appropriate size bolts considering the shear force.

I then bent them up using the press brake at work. I left the I-Beams way longer than the finish length so that i had enough length to do the bends and simply cut them I-Beams to an identical fixed length, then used each end as datum point from which the bend was placed at a given distance. It all worked really well. Heres a link to me bending them at work.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2-6xkNg...on_share_sheet

Next was some more machine work in pocketing the clamp lugs to recess the bolt lugs into them, and cutting the I-Beams to length and to fit the clamp lugs. The I-Beams were cut as close to the bends as possible as i thought this would look the nicest.

The they were welded all together, split, and the threads made for the clamp bolts. I split them with and angle grinder then just filed them flat. I tried a few machine options but didn't have a good enough setup so went with the grinder. Since i dont have a vice at home i managed to get the lower lug threads tapped, then clamped the risers on to thread the top lugs....where theres a will theres a way.

So in total they are a 6" rise and have about 2" offset on each riser...Ive aptly named them the "Dog-Beam" Risers haha
Old 10-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #59
rhysmort

Damn man!! that's some serious work and skill and they look killer!!
Old 05-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #60
NZT100

Guess i'll liven this up as things are happening again...thanks Covid-19!

So end of last year work all but stopped on this, not because i didnt want to keep going but because i bought a new house....with a garage. Problem was, the garage was unuseable, so i've spent the last 3 months working on it to the point where i have my own bit of space for wrenching now...man it feels good. Yesterday i got busy with the bike again.

I reviewed the work i'd done and whilst i liked the parts on the bike individually, some didnt work together well IMO...mainly the bars/risers/exhausts, things just seemed a bit confused. So, have had my mate Steve bend up some new bars the same as these but with a narrower bottom. These are a bit taller than the 9" rise apes i had on and with different bends, i think they will look a ton better. Unfortunately due to Covid-19 i cant get them from him ATM so im being patient on that one (These photos were taken in temporary storage BTW).

Im also planning on changing the battery and fuse orientation as i realized its a paint to get at the fuses ATM, and will also be remaking the exhausts ..more to come there.

Yesterday i got the Cooper Smithing fender mounted, and began work on the sissy bar which will be made from Hex with some I-Beam features thrown in. Joe made me an awesome fender with a nice detail for chain clearance and managed to keep the bead the whole way round....he does beautiful work!

Need to finish up the bottom mount when i can access to a lathe again. Planning to weld a threaded bung to the fender and make a small spacer.

Have also made a template of the seat pan and this is well underway. I've managed to radius the bottom part and then form the vertical piece to match the extra piece of fender Joe sent me, should be really nice once its done, will post photos once some more work has happened there.

Here's were im at as of end of yesterday...excited to see progress again.