Jockey Journal Forum banner

show & go factory PU drag build

31K views 133 replies 39 participants last post by  Tricky-Ricky 
#1 ·
Figured I would do my first build thread on the board. This one is going to take some time , but thought maybe starting thread would push me a bit more to keep it moving . Picked up an old non running pre unit hill climber . Factory rigid 53 frame , t120 engine, rigid tranny and primary, Lucas competition mag . Starting to collect the parts , direction will be a 60"s show style drag bike . Just got the rubber delivered , M&H drag slick, 2.75 x21 firestone front tire. 1929 Harley Davidson Springer pea shooter . I'm going to have a lot of ? for the pre unit guru's since this is my first one , only familiar with the unit stuff .

See less See more
#8 ·
Okay, I will be the first to admit I'm dense when it comes to triumphs, but .100 over is almost an sixteenth inch out of the cyl. Walls. Was it factory jugs? Did they re-line the jugs with an over sized liner?

#9 ·
I will take some picture, its as you said KCgan , cylinder walls were about 1/16 from the head bolt wholes. There was some crazy stuff going on. The head was professionally speed wholed lightend , and wait till I post the crank pics . It was used exclusively to hill climb ,check out the oil tank

#11 ·
Zeeman, I'm going to leave frame stock ,I'm a short guy so I shouldn't look to jammed up on it. I'm not building it as a race bike to drag, in fact I'm on the fence with the rear tire or going with stock 19 rear . You know form over function. I will see how build progresses. Same for engine ,I'm going to re build it but nothing crazy. I think you guys will find below pictures entertaining to say the least :eek::eek::eek:

#16 ·
The little Harley springer is a perfect match for that bike, the scale and proportion looks right on.
The motor looks to have been built for quick revs, the burst of power that you need for hill-climbing.
What was the old oil tank made out of? A propane bottle?

Geo.

#20 ·
I'm going to try to use as many of the modified parts in current engine as I can, if they can be used to give me a reliable engine. I'm not going to run 100 over pistons so they are scrap .If I can use the crank ,I will have it balanced I will .I will have all my machining done by Dan at *** engine , new top end as well. I realize using an engine that was built for hill climbing is not an optimal platform to start from for zipping around town.

#26 ·
I don't know, but those cam bases of the lobes look really small. Like it has been reground. Would love to see specs compared to actual on those. Degreeing them and doing some measurements would be fun.

What were the tricks allowed in stock competition? Nothing is better than vintage race stuff.

#28 ·
That could be a Q/TT cam or even hotter. Wonder what the duration is. Stockish lift but hang it open longer for more top end. If the rules limited lift.....

Sneaky engine builders of old. If those parts could talk.

Cant wait to see what it does when you get it together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.