Jockey Journal Forum banner

57 Pan Cases. Good Numbers?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  HD48FL 
#1 ·
These cases are currently for sale by a reputable shop. Are the numbers good?. I am interested in buying them but do not want to buy anything that is questionable.
Thank you Guys!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
What is stamped on each case half, where the rear motor mount bolts go?

The polished cases make the vin suspect to me, not because of the number per say, but because of the finish. But what does stand out is the 5 5 on the inside of the case. I believe that means the 5th month, May, of the 5th year, 1955 in this case. Eric (Speeding Big Twin) will chime in at some point, he is the expert in this area.

#6 ·
The odd/even rule didn't start until the very early 60's. Also, it's not the last digit, it would be the first number after the year/model for a four digit vin and the first two numbers for five digit vins.

#7 ·
SNs for 57 Pans began at 1001 and probably finished somewhere between 6000 and 7000. Title says 57FL40 so there should only be two more sequence characters. Also please check that no letter was removed from between the L and 4.

Originally a 57FL would have had 7s stamped on top of the cases near the holes for the rear engine mounting bolts and I'd expect them to be sans serif and with a fully curved back. (If it was originally 57FLH it would have had Hs stamped there.)

The 5, 7, F and L all appear consistent with factory stamping for a 57 Pan. Notice the 5 has a back that is vertical, as opposed to leaning to the right, and there is a reasonable space between the horizontal stroke and the top of the curve. There may be a clue at the top of the curve and you'll see it in my first example below. I don't know if it was a defect or abnormality in the stamp or if the stamp became damaged and the factory kept using it regardless. I've noticed it a lot in the mid/later-50s although it may not always be present.

Notice the 7 has a vertical serif at top left. Notice its back appears to start vertical from the top but quickly becomes curved.
F and L are sans serif as I'd expect. Lower horizontal stroke of the F is almost as long as the upper stroke and that is normal for 57.
I'd expect the 4 to have an open top, a curved left stroke and a serif across the base. Notice this 4 has been stamped more heavily to its R-H side than to its left but that's just the way some characters were done at times.

Best example I have of 0 for 57 is this FLH. Notice the 0 is oblong in shape as opposed to rounded.

Also notice in my pictures the material left over below the hole for the stud but I don't see that material on the case you posted? Is it missing or is it just the photo?

Another post to follow.
Eric

#8 ·
Inside the left case should be casting number 24541 55 and a circled E. According to Palmer's 37-64 SE (2014) the hallmark represented Eck Industries. (Recently Palmer published a 36-65 edition but I haven't got it and I don't know if it contains further info about Eck.) Notice no date code. Even though this type of case debuted for 1955, I haven't seen any with a date code prior to Dec 57.

R-H casting number is 24563-53B and again the circled E is present. Date code 5 5 indicates May 55 as Andy mentioned but that's okay and I've seen 5 5 on a few other 57 model R-H cases as well.

Relay boss has been removed. Maybe to accommodate a magneto or perhaps just for cosmetic reasons?
Under the oil screen cap, check for the usual parts.
Outside the case and below the gear compartment I see no mark(s) or grooves from contact with an exhaust pipe. Maybe there never were any but if there were then they may have been removed via polishing? On some cases the grooves run deeper than on others so I'd check for any sign the case has been compromised/repaired.

Both belly numbers are consistent with factory stamping for 57 and I posted an example below for comparison of some characters. Notice the 1 has a top serif at about forty-five degrees but no serif at the base.
The 5 looks normal.
Notice the 7 is sans serif. Also notice the style of back.
I can only see traces of the hyphen and that may be due to polishing. Or they may have been only lightly applied at the factory. Sometimes for 57 a hyphen wasn't even used and you'll notice it appears to be missing from my photo below.
The 3 has a flat top and is sans serif. All normal for 1957.
Notice the sequence 7 is sans serif but overall it isn't exactly the same as the year 7.
Sequence 5 looks fine but notice it isn't exactly the same as the year 5.
Round-back 6 is the type I'd expect for 1957. (Several types of R-B 6/9 were used in BNs over the years.)
Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.