Triumph unit noise that gets louder when hot. - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Regular Jim

Default Triumph unit noise that gets louder when hot.

Sorry to bother you fine gentleman with another question but my 750 unit it making a bit of noise once it heats up. What is happening is when it is first started it all sounds fine and dandy but I go for a ride and when I get back and remove my helmet there is quiet a loud ticking noise. I thought it was the valve adjustment so have readjusted according to the manual and Wesís dvd a few times but this has made no difference.

I rebuilt the bottom end of engine about a year ago but havenít really ridden the bike to much due to shit weather. There doesnít seem to be any problems with the running of the bike it starts first kick cold and rides without a problem and there is oil returning.

Could this be a head issue, worn guides, valves or rockers as that is where the sound seems to come from? Trying to find out if anyone else has had a similar issue before I go ripping into the engine and buying parts. Would take it to someone but there is no one I would trust would know what they are doing around my parts.

I have done a search and couldn't find anything in any previous posts.

Cheers,

Jim
Regular Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Goldy

Default Re: Triumph unit noise that gets louder when hot.

You might have a sticky valve, a broken spring or a loose valve guide. Did you take a listen around the engine with a large screw driver or stethoscope on your ear to get a good idea of where it is coming from?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
RetroRob

Make sure you got oil up top
RetroRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
skajaquada

Unit 750's are just a noisy engine so take that into account before worrying about things too much. Also remember intake tappet clearance is larger than exhaust on those. I think it's why they are more noisy compared to the earlier unit engines.
skajaquada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Regular Jim

To check if oil is getting up top will I just take the inspection covers off and run the bike? Will try the long screwdriver/stethoscope (I have a doctors one but think that would deafen me) to see if that returns any further info for me and let you know how I go.

Cheers for the quick response.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
'59

had a simiar concern with a 650 and got really twitched when it was next to another with similar mileage that was soo much quieter.

bike goes like stink and is the best unit triumph i've owned.

only suggestion is that a diffrent cam profile may make things a little noisier but why just when hot? answer: dunno!

if it's not getting worse just ride it 'til something breaks, if it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
karlliming
Banned

What year 750 late model or early?
karlliming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
karlliming
Banned

The reason i ask what year is that on certain years the valve adjustments are different.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
karlliming
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlliming View Post
The reason i ask what year is that on certain years the valve adjustments are different.
650 2 intake 4 exhaust 750 6 exhaust 8 intake
Old 11-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
Regular Jim

I thought about riding it till something breaks but I am a little worried that a valve might drop and damage the piston, rod or barrel. My luck will be when I am in the middle of nowhere and no phone service. It does seem to be getting louder but that could be just me worrying about it.

Its a 73 750V right hand shift. I have set the valves at 6 exhaust and 8 intake.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
J_F_Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Jim View Post
Sorry to bother you fine gentleman with another question but my 750 unit it making a bit of noise once it heats up. What is happening is when it is first started it all sounds fine and dandy but I go for a ride and when I get back and remove my helmet there is quiet a loud ticking noise. I thought it was the valve adjustment so have readjusted according to the manual and Wesís dvd a few times but this has made no difference.

I rebuilt the bottom end of engine about a year ago but havenít really ridden the bike to much due to shit weather. There doesnít seem to be any problems with the running of the bike it starts first kick cold and rides without a problem and there is oil returning.

Could this be a head issue, worn guides, valves or rockers as that is where the sound seems to come from? Trying to find out if anyone else has had a similar issue before I go ripping into the engine and buying parts. Would take it to someone but there is no one I would trust would know what they are doing around my parts.

I have done a search and couldn't find anything in any previous posts.

Cheers,

Jim
I don't know about Triumphs, but as a rule, push rod engines with solid lifters, have less tappet noise once warmed up because the valve train expands. My small block chevy with a solid cam clattered like the devil until it warmed up. I always adjusted my valves hot.
J_F_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
karlliming
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_F_Byrd View Post
I don't know about Triumphs, but as a rule, push rod engines with solid lifters, have less tappet noise once warmed up because the valve train expands. My small block chevy with a solid cam clattered like the devil until it warmed up. I always adjusted my valves hot.
You will have more tappet noise with solids once it's warmed up than what you have if you run hydrulics. as a rule.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
karlliming
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_F_Byrd View Post
Quote:
You will have more tappet noise with solids once it's warmed up than what you have if you run hydrulics. as a rule.
and wouldn't advise to adjust your lifters on your triumph hot, adjust when engine is cold.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
RetroRob

Quote:
and wouldn't advise to adjust your lifters on your triumph hot, adjust when engine is cold.
++1
RetroRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #15
La Dolce

My 750 makes noise but i don't recall it getting louder as i go. Are there any pro shops near you for someone to lend an extra ear.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #16
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch

put a screwdriver handle up to your ear and touch the other end of it around to several places around the engine and listen for the sound to get louder. if it ends up louder on the barrels then it's piston slap from loose piston tolerances, if the noise comes from the timing cover then it may be from worn cam bushings causing the cam gears to change angles as the valve spring pressure increases. and worn cam bushings also makes the valve lash erratic.
if all the noise comes from the tappets then it's because it's a Triumph..
Old 11-17-2011, 03:39 AM   #17
'59

/\ + I was also told to remember the diffrence in revolutions between piston/crank and valve gear to help id' which setof components the noise is coming from.
'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #18
Regular Jim

No pro shop near me unfortunately would need to take it to a place about 3 1/2 hours away. I have done a compression test as I thought it may be piston slap but all was fine, cant remember the exact numbers now but they were high and the same each side. Hopefully its not the cam bushings. Will try the screwdriver out when I get a chance and let you know how I go, things always seem to be on this time of year.

Thanks again for all the help gentleman.