Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame - Page 3 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-31-2020, 01:52 PM   #41
VonWegener

Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame

I find the last shop dope paragraph about brake relining and adjusting very interesting. Loosen the pivot and applying full pressure? I never thought of that.
Thank you Eric. Great contribution as always.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 02:23 PM   #42
richbob

Don’t you read your manual ? Von .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1590952966645.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	257336  

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:57 PM   #43
FredoTwoWheels

Hey guys, yeah, the axles are supposed to be the same, but I also prefer the way the big blocky early one looks.

Mike, hugely grateful for the offer but I already had a buddy order one of the rods for me. Im going to try to salvage the clevis, but if I run into an issue, I will let you know! Really appreciate the offer and advise, always.

That shop dope is very interesting. I went out and looked at the brake for the first time since unloading it from my truck. I have a bunch of play front to back in the cam shaft. I looked it up in the part in the parts catalog, 4055-31. I expected a washer, maybe being told to shim to fit, but the part specifies a spring washer. What I assume is the issue without opening it, is that the person I bought the brake from used a washer, and since I didnt know any different, may have perpetuated my issue when I swapped components between backing plates. No spring will allow the slop and that probably translates to the chatter. That would make sense why the rod broke, it was probably whipping around while I braked. I will see if I can get my hands on one of the spring washers, may even rebuild some oem brake shoes I have kicking around to replace the aftermarket ones in there. If after that it still rattles, then I will just have to throw out the whole bike. Ha!

IG: PineboxRecording
FredoTwoWheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2020, 04:23 PM   #44
Dutch Dennoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoTwoWheels View Post
Hey guys, yeah, the axles are supposed to be the same, but I also prefer the way the big blocky early one looks.

Mike, hugely grateful for the offer but I already had a buddy order one of the rods for me. Im going to try to salvage the clevis, but if I run into an issue, I will let you know! Really appreciate the offer and advise, always.

That shop dope is very interesting. I went out and looked at the brake for the first time since unloading it from my truck. I have a bunch of play front to back in the cam shaft. I looked it up in the part in the parts catalog, 4055-31. I expected a washer, maybe being told to shim to fit, but the part specifies a spring washer. What I assume is the issue without opening it, is that the person I bought the brake from used a washer, and since I didnt know any different, may have perpetuated my issue when I swapped components between backing plates. No spring will allow the slop and that probably translates to the chatter. That would make sense why the rod broke, it was probably whipping around while I braked. I will see if I can get my hands on one of the spring washers, may even rebuild some oem brake shoes I have kicking around to replace the aftermarket ones in there. If after that it still rattles, then I will just have to throw out the whole bike. Ha!
Can you throw it across an ocean?