electrical issues - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 06-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
harleyman75

Default electrical issues

Hi everyone, have a 1975 fxe--had been starting and running great until----i primed the carb. gave it a few kicks turned the key and the electric starter engaged and continued to crank until solenoid burnt(wires melted), i turned the key off but that did nothing. The battery is dead(charged for a day or more only went up to 5 volts) and solenoid is shot. I believe the starter motor is ok , will check the relay when new battery arrives. Any ideas? As usual thanks for any advice Greg
harleyman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
Thebigguy0811

The solenoid sticking closed will do that. It's at it's heart a heavy duty mechanism to conduct current. The internal contacts can weld themselves together, think mini arc welder. They have a finite lifespan. Low current has a major impact, without full voltage, the contacts will connect with a substantial arc. Over time this degrades the connection. It increases resistance. As an instructor once told me, resistance=heat=fire and then you die!
Kind of long winded, but the solenoid sticking is likely the cause. Replace ALL the battery cables.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:21 PM   #3
harleyman75

Default Re: electrical issues

thanks bigguy i thought that might have been the problem
harleyman75 is offline   Reply With Quote