1977 Triumph 750 Bonneville What to do - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #1
hummer58

Default 1977 Triumph 750 Bonneville What to do

Bought this matching number 750 Bonneville with less than 3000 miles at an estate auction. They sold it as a parts bike - no title. The person who had the bike pass away and family didn't want to hassle with getting a title. I live in in Ohio and though I might be able to get a title. The problem was there is an active title in the system and I can't get a title for it. I hate to part it out. I was I told wait two more years and it should be out of the system. So I should wait or part it. Just an interesting subject. And seeing if anyone else every have this happen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0310.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	934.4 KB
ID:	257954

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0311.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	898.4 KB
ID:	257956
hummer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
Ratso

Default Re: 1977 Triumph 750 Bonneville What to do

> there is an active title in the system and I can't get a title for it.

I don't understand how that works. Just for curiosity's sake, have you got the patience to explain it?

Unless you're broke and starving, I say sit on that bike till you get a clear title, then ride the bejesus out of it. If it's mechanically sound, I wouldn't do a thing to it except maybe give it some old-style-looking side covers. Unless it has endured unusually awful mistreatment, you should have another 22,000 miles before you have to think about getting into the sludge trap and generally freshening up. Good deal!
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer58 View Post
Bought this matching number 750 Bonneville with less than 3000 miles at an estate auction. They sold it as a parts bike - no title. The person who had the bike pass away and family didn't want to hassle with getting a title. I live in in Ohio and though I might be able to get a title. The problem was there is an active title in the system and I can't get a title for it]
You did buy it without a title, so you knew what you were getting into.

I would try to talk with someone at your state DMV. Do you have a bill of sale? If so, does it mention the motorcycle or parts? If it mentions that you purchased a motorcycle, then you might be able to explain to the DMV that it's still in the system, but the owner is dead and the family sold you the bike. Maybe you can get the paperwork started for a lost title and see if the family would sign off on it. Just throwing out thoughts.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
Goldy

In the name of God, please wait the two years for it to be off their listings, that machine is way too nice to part out.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
Elektron

A title is available, you just have to navigate the regulations to get one. Is the 'active title' in the name of the person who had it, from whose estate you bought it? The bill of sale from the auction house for the motorcycle should go a long way to establishing your right of ownership.

If the title is in the name of the estate sale person (the person whose possessions are being sold), and you have a bill of sale for the auction purchase, which lists it by VIN (I'd be printing-out the catalog description for the bike however it is, hopefully including a VIN, especially if there is a picture, too), with some proof of death, all-that should get you a title in any state. Getting copies of death certificates may be restricted to family-only, so you may-need to prevail upon a family member to file the request for a certified copy, and to forward it to you. I expect a cash offer 'for your time and trouble, and the application fee, etc.' could grease that wheel. Maybe half now, and half upon delivery of the death certificate.

If I buy a motorcycle 'for parts,' I get a bill of sale listing the VIN, if the bike does not have the clean title as part of the sale. Prior to the sale, I also check the national database for insurance companies to see if the vehicle is in the national database as a stolen motorcycle, or a total-loss, paid-out by an insurance company. Under this circumstance, to-me the price just-took a nose-dive, I don't deal in Knuckleheads, Broughs, Indians, or other highly sought-after marques. My pockets aren't that-deep, and I'm not filming reality t.v. like Frank and Mike.

https://www.nicb.org/vincheck

It's going to take time and $$$ to get it sorted-out, but it will be worth it, bikes like that are few and far-between. Low miles, and a late-model, from Meriden.

Of course, you can always use a professional title service who specializes in these, but I suspect they would be much-more out-of-pocket than a trip online to discover what your state procedure is.

I've done it both-ways, and there is a satisfaction in 'do-it-yourself.' It's usually cheaper.

This looks like Ohio's procedure, under the described circumstances:
https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/titles-court.aspx#gsc.tab=0

Having copies of the documents mentioned above the State of OH link would probably allow you to follow the link's method for issuance of a new title.

Last edited by Elektron; 07-28-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Elektron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #6
HayMike

Get a title and registration from Vermont, legal and easy.Call Vermont dmv. In 2 years, transfer it to your OH address. I have done this.
HayMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayMike View Post
Get a title and registration from Vermont, legal and easy.Call Vermont dmv. In 2 years, transfer it to your OH address. I have done this.
Technically, he's not the owner of the "motorcycle". It depends on his bill of sale. But the title was never signed over and is still in Ohio's records.

Does Vermont check nationally to see if a vehicle is already titled? What happens in a case like this where the owner is dead and the motorcycle is in Ohio's system, but is it recognized by a DMV search, if they even do that?

And then what happens when he tries to transfer a Vermont title to Ohio and Ohio sees the bike still titled to someone else? I don't know what the original poster meant by in two years it'll be out of their system.

I understand that the Vermont route works for many, but I think it can also be looked at as suspicious by some DMV's.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:59 PM   #8
joe49

Can't speak to Ohio. I have in Illinois done this twice successfully. Starts with a bill of sale with description and VIN signed by executor. Then lost title form also signed by executor, with your return address. Also a power of attorney by executor signed, this is for you to sign and release the title to yourself. Last you will need to show a certified death certificate. It sounds complicated but it gets you out of their hair for just the three signatures by executor and a original copy of the death certificate.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:14 AM   #9
Ducbsa

Where do you get the text of a power of attorney document?
Ducbsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
joe49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducbsa View Post
Where do you get the text of a power of attorney document?
The form was also a Illinois Secretary of State form, just for doing this. I got them in person at SoS. Last time was 3 years ago.
Thinking about it, last time I did a title change also at the time I filed the paper work and the title came back in my name.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #11
hummer58

Thanks for all reply's. First to the yes I did buy it at an auction and I knew what I was getting into. The problem was I did a VIN check before with the Ohio BMV. The problem was when I put the VIN in I didn't use the whole VIN. The VIN should have include T140V plus the numbers. If you just use the numbers it doesn't show up. When I went down to talk to the title office I found out this important information out. Also if you are at an auction and a triumph is going to for less $2000 I though it worth a gamble.Most auction in Ohio when you buy a parts vehicle they won't provide a bill of sale. You get receipt for your purchases. This is what I found out about Ohio title if someone is deceased. If there is a spouse she or he can apply for another title with a power of attorney. If there is no spouse just living family members the car,truck,motorcycle or whatever would have to go through probate. Which would have go to probate court - check for other family members,outstanding bills or someone that protest them getting a title. I was told by the title office this could take up to 6 months plus possible cost. A quicker way is to sell it an auction as a parts vehicle and get their money sooner. Plus no hassles.Most time it goes to probate when a family member wants to keep it. The good news I found out if it was abandoned at shop for a certain amount of time and not claimed. The shop owner can apply for an abandoned title. The problem I think the only problem it would be title as a salvage vehicle. I have friend that is going to check into this for me that own a towing company.
hummer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:33 PM   #12
magnum45pete

what about a Garage/repair shop lien title, if a garage says 'X' owes money for repair's & it wasn't paid they get a title, the dead dude aint gonna complain & it's a good reason he didn't pay his 'Bill' so to speak, been outa the coutry a good few years but it used to work.... anyone know if it still works ?
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote