Tophat spacer on front wheel - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
jeffy

Default Tophat spacer on front wheel

Im running a 73 sportater front hub on my chop build. Rebuilding it i noticed that on one side only it had a tophat shaped axle spacer with the wider portion up under the seal. Ok thats cool and all but while installing my wheel a few times it was a pain in the ass to deal with, it popped out several times at which point i needed to use my pick set to slide around the edge and work the spacer back into place and under the seal proper. After enough tries i got pretty good at it, but was wondering if thats an absolute necessity? Or could i juat swap that spacer out for a straight one as long as the outer diameter is correct to fit nicely into the inner diameter of the bearing seal? I dont feel like adding a pick set to my tool roll (all though it might not be a bad idea anyways) and the thought of dealing with that on the side of the road, if i need to fix a flat or something, doesnt sound awesome. I prefer simpler. So what would you do?
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
magnum45pete

Default Re: Tophat spacer on front wheel

standard for taper roller bearings on Harley wheels, just gotta be careful & methodical putting the Axle in, well greased up bearings & spacer helps
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #3
jeffy

So it is definitely necessary? Any particular reason why other than better sealing possibly? If so, why wouldnt they put it on both sides? Just seeking knowledge now i guess.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
joe49

Got a picture? Most you can push in at a angle, no picks.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #5
magnum45pete

the axle does the job on the left with a spacer, on mine the forks have a bottom fork cap/clamp on both sides, what forks do you have ?... if there are 2 bottom fork caps all i do is loosen the axle nut, then remove both caps and raise the bike so the wheel drops out with the axle still in the wheel thus preventing the top hat spacer coming out through the seal so no problem,..... do you have later forks ?.. later forks are not the same, they have only one cap so you cannot drop the wheel like this & earlier forks do not have any lower caps...
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
jeffy

I built a custom wheel utilizing that hub and im running it on a narrow springer. So thats why its a little tricky to get the axle through and spacers om the opposote side and through the other side all while hoping to no get too mich angle on the axle slide through so that it wont pop that thing out. Tricky but doable, and its not even then end of the world of it does come out during roadside repairs, just like to simplify everything i can as much as possible.