Jockey Journal Forum banner

No title???

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Shovelsrule 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey everyone! I'm back to the forum after a long hiatus - 3 years. Attached is a pic of my Shovel that I sold last year. I built it about 5 years ago and rode the friggin shit out of it. At any rate, I miss the old horse.

Here's my dilemma. I have a bud who has a mixed bag / basket case shovel with no papers. Juice frame and hog front end, cone motor and trans complete, but in boxes - it's probably 80% complete. Long and short, nothing matches but it's legit. How difficult will it be to register?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the pic! Lookin' tuff...... I need another one.

#6 ·
I would run the numbers, to see if it is legal, then if it is, go to a mc title search company and have them do a mechanics lein. Not sure about other states, but in Florida, they run the numbers, if all is legit, they get you a title and legal paperwork. I would never want a stolen anything, but I have bought several over the years, after running the numbers, and never had any problems, riding them or selling them. It cost up to about 300 dollars for a really hard bike, but usually, with any paperwork at all, little over a hundred. It cost you that much at the tag office. Just my 3 cents worth.

#7 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll capture all the numbers and run a search - assuming I can simply find this service on-line, etc? I know I can buy a clapped out complete bike (FX/E) for a few bucks more but I'll still have to buy the early HOG front end, swingarm, hubs, etc. That shit adds up.

My plan is to run 16's front and back, no front fender, FL front fender as rear, pogo seat, etc. Some of the same attributes as my old girl. My goal is to ride it to Sturgis next year. I've got a 09 bagger that I've been sticking WAY too much $$$ into over the last few years. Besides, the new shit doesn't have soul!

#8 ·
Try calling your local law enforcement, from a pay phone is you are worried, and tell them you are looking to buy a motor and frame, and ask them if they will run the numbers, since none of it has a title. They usually connect you with someone that will. Or the local tag office. I have done both, and they are usually pretty helpful.

#14 ·
In Wisconsin you can title a bike without a title through an obscure process at the DMV called Special Instructions for Titling a Vehicle With Missing Title, or something like that. The form is not available online, you have to call the DMV in Madison and get them to send you the form. It's not really an application, it's actually a set of instructions on what you need to provide. The basic process is that you get a LEO to come out and run the numbers and sign an affidavit that they are clean. Then you send in photos of the bike along with the standard title application form. I've done this twice successfully with a BMW and an H-D/Aermacchi, but they will NOT approve a parts bike. I tried to do it with a shovelhead roller I had and they rejected me twice because it didn't have an engine even though I argued that I should be able to title an 80s HD with a VIN on the frame. So you might be able to use this process if you have a complete enough bike that it will pass scrutiny as a complete bike. If the engine and frame numbers match, that would probably make it easier. If that doesn't work, you will have to go through special construction.

#15 ·
big -

Thanks a ton for the info!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.