Carb size question - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 10-24-2020, 01:30 AM   #1
Dicannon66

Default Carb size question

I'm setting up a for a sportster chop and want to source a carb to replace the old CV carb. Hard mount XL1200S to be hardtailed. It seems the recommended carb from Mikuni is the HSR42mm but I have a friend that says anything over 38mm is too big for my displacement. Lectron has a 40mm and I found a decent deal on an OLD one. Am I looking at appropriate sized carbs for 1200 or should I stay 38mm and smaller?

Thanks
Dicannon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2020, 06:23 AM   #2
magnum45pete

Default Re: Carb size question

38mm Lectron was factory fitted to some sportsters in the 70's as a factory performance add on for a while, they worked well & the new generation Lectrons are well worth looking at, a tad expensive but well worth fitting,easy carbs to set up, as in no set up needed usually, spot on from the box....give them a call & ask their opinion
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
johnjzjz

around my area in jersey you cant give away a lectron - and a 1200 sporty the 42 MM CV is an outstanding carb for all around mileage and performance

today its a very sort after the CV carb for all kinds of harleys all years - you can re sell if in minuets if you decide too
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #4
magnum45pete

the 1st generation Lectrons are almost 50 years old now & probably worn out & they were lacking in a few points, Idle circuits were not great in the early carbs, but the new generation Lectrons are selling like hot cakes, they are a fantastic carb & even beats the still great Mikunis hands down,... you need to check out a new one fella, otherwise your comment is of 1st generation 50 year old carbs,.. & even then they were better than an S&S......
Old 10-25-2020, 03:56 AM   #5
Dutch Dennoz

Magnumpete , you don’t happen to be a lectron stock holder?��, you made me curious...
Old 10-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #6
tomsoftail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dennoz View Post
Magnumpete , you donít happen to be a lectron stock holder?��, you made me curious...

I think Pete's frustration over S&S carbs are well known. I have a super-b on my gennyshovelhead. Super-E on my cone and Evo. Don't get me wrong, I had an excellent CV and Mikuni as well I just don't get his strong dislike for that particular brand.

Expensive? Yup. Old design? Yup. Functional? And then some!
tomsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #7
magnum45pete

I wish I did have shares in Lectron, I'd be very rich in a few years, they are about to really explode on the custom bike market, they already own the dirt digger & snowmobile market,... They are so feckin simple & easy to set up, work at all altitudes, no re jetting as they don't have jets, i used one in the early 80's& was converted, 8 years back I got a NOS 1st Generation that had never seen a bike from when it was made in 75 , It went on & was fantastic compaired to the S&S it came with, when the new ones came out the write up on them was very good & the feedback from people who had them on new Harleys sold me on getting a new one myself last year & have not looked back since, there are good carbs out there, Mikunis, SU's, HD CV carbs are very worth using, a great carb, ust every Harley I have had with an S&S had carb related problems & at least 2 were brand new from S&S, I even had a Twin throat back in the 80's, I liked it but it Iced up a lot, it looked good but that was about it with them, each to their own but I feel like fitting an S&S is like fitting a Linkert, just bigger & more fiddly to set & keep in tune,... have been building & riding chops for 44 almost 45 years so it's not new to me & I know how to tune carbs, I simply like the Lectron & if you ever get a chance to try a new one jump at it THEN make ya own mind up, I think you would be impressed even at the cost which I totally agree it high for what it is,,,,,, they are just so bloody good I do rant on about them, like I would on any good product out there
Old 10-25-2020, 11:14 AM   #8
joe49

Another non fan here.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #9
Dutch Dennoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum45pete View Post
I wish I did have shares in Lectron, I'd be very rich in a few years, they are about to really explode on the custom bike market, they already own the dirt digger & snowmobile market,... They are so feckin simple & easy to set up, work at all altitudes, no re jetting as they don't have jets, i used one in the early 80's& was converted, 8 years back I got a NOS 1st Generation that had never seen a bike from when it was made in 75 , It went on & was fantastic compaired to the S&S it came with, when the new ones came out the write up on them was very good & the feedback from people who had them on new Harleys sold me on getting a new one myself last year & have not looked back since, there are good carbs out there, Mikunis, SU's, HD CV carbs are very worth using, a great carb, ust every Harley I have had with an S&S had carb related problems & at least 2 were brand new from S&S, I even had a Twin throat back in the 80's, I liked it but it Iced up a lot, it looked good but that was about it with them, each to their own but I feel like fitting an S&S is like fitting a Linkert, just bigger & more fiddly to set & keep in tune,... have been building & riding chops for 44 almost 45 years so it's not new to me & I know how to tune carbs, I simply like the Lectron & if you ever get a chance to try a new one jump at it THEN make ya own mind up, I think you would be impressed even at the cost which I totally agree it high for what it is,,,,,, they are just so bloody good I do rant on about them, like I would on any good product out there
I am not doubting you at all, you just got me fascinated with your convintion.
I use a super e and i do not really have a complain so far but i kind of know they use the principal of more is better.
Do you have some guide or lecture about the lectron? Edit , l checked their site a bit better!

Last edited by Dutch Dennoz; 10-25-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Dutch Dennoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:06 PM   #10
Larry Ritchey

Mikuni says to install the largest carb that will fit and then jet accordingly.
Larry Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote