I hope I don't fuck this up. - Page 5 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #81
geezer

Default Re: I hope I don't fuck this up.

Hey I'm in West Virginia. Where's that Log Cabin bar/tavern/restaurant located?
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #82
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Columbia, NJ, if I remember right. I think it was on Rte. 46.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:55 PM   #83
JAWS

Hows this.... Make a plate and sandwich it under the lower bearing on top of the lower tree, that folds over the front and fastens with the rear leg pinch bolts. Make some tabs on this plate as stops.

Here is the obtrusive part but minor and what I did on the red bike. Drill and tap for 1/4-20 stainless button head screw as the rests for the limit stops you made on the plate. That way the stops touch the button heads instead on the paint.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:28 PM   #84
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

No pinch bolts for starts, and if I can keep from drilling, I will. I also fear internal-stop cups will lead me to crack the shit out of the paint; the cups were painted with the frame.

I'm gonna set and think on it for a while. Doesn't have to be solved immediately.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:29 PM   #85
geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
Columbia, NJ, if I remember right. I think it was on Rte. 46.
Oh well. I am not allowed in Jersey forever.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:43 PM   #86
JAWS

What are those cap head screws?
Old 08-18-2015, 05:02 AM   #87
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
What are those cap head screws?
Headlight bracket.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #88
JAWS

Perfect. Use those. Three points of contact. Two headlight mounting bolts and sandwhiched under lower neck bearing, too keep the plate in position. Understandably this rudimentary device is only to limit fork travel when swinging into a rest position. I wonder if rubber covered stops would suffice rather than drilling the frame for the button heads. As long as it wasnt hastilly flopped over........
Old 08-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #89
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

I'm leaning towards that. Or a rag between the tank and triple when I stop. Really don't want to drill on the frame.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #90
flatheadmatt

My 37U is in Pauls hands as well. Any other mods from Stock besides the oil pump? Anything is better than the stock system. My last UL cooked on hot days. Add sitting in traffic to that and it can end badly.
flatheadmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #91
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Whatever he is going to do to it. I know he already talked about T&O flywheels...

I try not to ride in traffic. Wasn't really the norm back when these prowled the roads.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #92
vintagespeed

get a couple rubber blocks made up that will pinch around the rear leg, under the spring plate and extend out far enough to bump the frame at full lock.

that's JunkBitch to you.
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #93
jbfrmca

i wonder if you can get silver rubber hose slit it in half then glue it to the rear legs of the forks? might not look to bad.
jbfrmca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #94
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

I'll figure something out.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #95
KCgran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Perfect. Use those. Three points of contact. Two headlight mounting bolts and sandwhiched under lower neck bearing, too keep the plate in position. Understandably this rudimentary device is only to limit fork travel when swinging into a rest position. I wonder if rubber covered stops would suffice rather than drilling the frame for the button heads. As long as it wasnt hastilly flopped over........

Honestly, if the stem length allows this, I would have probably done something like this. I like the rubber plug idea, and I think a plug like use to be on the back of fold down license plate brackets that hid the gas cap would be perfect. I may be able to put my hands on something like those if you need them.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #96
VonWegener

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
Man, my fingers are tired from scrubbing.

Wow Liam - She is beautiful. Look at all that shine. John is right about touching up. It will preserve what is there.
I am sure that if you show the finished bike to the original owner he will be very happy to have sold it to you.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #97
KCgran

I like your new signature, Gmule. And the fact that Sasquatch is a tag on this thread!!!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:17 PM   #98
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
Wow Liam - She is beautiful. Look at all that shine. John is right about touching up. It will preserve what is there.
I am sure that if you show the finished bike to the original owner he will be very happy to have sold it to you.
He might be coming for a visit on Saturday! If he makes it here, I'll be excited to see how he thinks it's coming along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCgran View Post
I like your new signature, Gmule. And the fact that Sasquatch is a tag on this thread!!!
It's a poignant statement that Mike made. Regarding the tagging, lotsa folks (mostly Kevin, buckman50) says I'm a big hairy lookin' fucker, so I tagged it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
get a couple rubber blocks made up that will pinch around the rear leg, under the spring plate and extend out far enough to bump the frame at full lock.
Oh, that's a good idea! I can probably use the late model jiffy stand stops. I bet the rear springer leg is a similar diameter as frame tubing.

Tonight I finished rebuilding the star hub, so that's ready to roll. I have to swap the drum over to that wheel. I got two of the bolts loosened tonight after I got the grease gun working to finish off the hub. Sometimes I only have fifteen or twenty minutes to throw at this, but I try and work on it a little each day.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #99
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

OK, here's the latest update. I used some red enamel to touch up the frame. No pics, but it looks pretty close. Not a big deal; the running gear will hide it anyway. I did learn that enamel on lacquer is OK. Lacquer over enamel is apparently a no-no.

Next, I finished the rear hub rebuild. The only problem I ran into was setting up the endplay. The aftermarket cork seal I used on the brake side seemed to be too thick to allow me to figure out the endplay. Once I removed the retainer, I could figure it out. So I just figured what shims to use on the star side, then I put the snap-ring retainer back in on the brake side. I am assuming the cork will squish down. Have any of you run into that predicament?

I stuck some new rubber on the front wheel, and got the front end back on. (A "Racer" Korean tire. I'm gonna fuckin' die on this thing.) Headlights are on. Transmission is in. P-pegs are mounted up. I put a new 5.10 tire on the rear wheel, but it is noticeably shorter than the Pirelli MT35 that was on there. (This is a Duro HF302 tire.) It might help with the fact that I went from a 23 to a 24 sprocket on the trans.

I have to swap the drum from the old rear wheel to the "new" one that's all rebuilt yet. After I do that, I really am sort of waiting on the engine for everything... plumbing, some of the electrics, and the exhaust.

I might get to ride this before next season! I rolled the bike outside so you can see my progress.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #100
geezer

What is that like a 30 tooth trans sprocket????

Tags
1937, chopper, flathead, flattie, flatty, govmule84, pangor, sasquatch, ulh