Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph frame problem/question

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Chevota 
#1 ·
OK.... I've been reading quite a bit on JJ, but I'm new to the scene and think I may have royally screwed up. I found a frame a guy that posted on C-list. Took a look at it (not a good enough look) and bought it for $125. It had already been hardtailed, so I thought I was getting a good deal. Well, I just got home from work today and finally got a chance to look this thing over with a little better eye. I don't know what is going on where the hardtail meets the original frame. Looks like it was a bolt on that they plug welded the holes, and welded the piss out of everywhere else it connected. Looked at the numbers on the neck and I get BE10140. Please correct me if I looked this up wrong, but would this be a 1970-1971 Frame. I just want to know if I screwed up and need to cut this hardtail section off and weld on a new one, or if I can clean up what I have and run it. Any info would be helpful. This is my first post so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. Also, can anyone with a known hardtail length give me a measurement from the neck to where the rear axle plate is.... I'm trying to figure if this thing has any stretch to it.
http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/s...ictureID=95462124027/a=4230263027_4230263027/
http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/s...ictureID=95462124027/a=4230263027_4230263027/
http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/s...ictureID=95462124027/a=4230263027_4230263027/http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/s...ictureID=95462124027/a=4230263027_4230263027/

See less See more
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's a great deal on the frame for $125. the frame numbers have been changed. those numbers say it's a 1971 but clearly it's not. and it's not a 1970 either, but none of that really matters just run the numbers through DMV or the local PD and keep going with the build.
As for the hard tail being welded on that happens a lot. People bolted them in place then welded the shit out of them and then cut the heads off of the bolts. take a grinder and clean things up a bit, re-weld if necessary and you'll be ok.

x

#5 ·
Whew.... That's what I was hoping to hear. I really appreciate it. What's up with the frame numbers then? Any other ideas on the length of the stretch? Since I only have the frame itself to measure, I measured from the top of the neck, down the backbone, to the end of the hardtail section, and get 52 1/2 inches.

#10 ·
What's up with the frame numbers then?
Most likely someone had a '71 title, and "changed" the numbers to match their paper.

Just the fact the number's been monkeyed with makes it a no-go for many guys, re having a conscience or re karma...because that frame was numbered and titled once and not as a '70 (means was legal once, then not).

as for the frame numbers many people back in the day would blow up the original engine and then change the frame numbers to match the replacement engine because everyone knows that Triumphs had matching numbers.
Where did the real Tony go, the one with sensibility...?

"Everyone knows" just as well that a '71-numbered frame was oil-in-frame.

Including the ever-increasing numbers of cops inspecting just numbers and likely to spot the lightest evidence of a grinder on that frame.

I'm so tired of new guys getting offered reckless and downright illegal advice about "getting by with" known or obviously improper numbering & registration...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

#6 ·
if you measure from the engine plate mounting stud a (7/16") stud in the center of the frame. to the center of the axle plate I'm pretty sure stock is aprox. 17.5". if yours measures 21.5 then it is 4" over.

#7 ·
as for the frame numbers many people back in the day would blow up the original engine and then change the frame numbers to match the replacement engine because everyone knows that Triumphs had matching numbers.

#11 ·
If it was me - I'd haul the thing in for a serial number check before I spent a dime on it.

Would suck to have thousands into a build - only to have it confiscated.
A friend of mine had a ride stolen from him in new Orleans - 18 months later, the ride shows up in Houston all spiffy and custom. VIN said it was Jeremy's - so he got it back, updates and all.

#13 ·
So the bottom line is I should take it to DMV to see if I can use it?
I dont know nor give a hell about how custom car guys do....

But the "bottom line" is that your frame number (the v.i.n.) has been altered (whether you can see traces or not), which is a serious crime, as is stamping one's own numbers.

And there's altogether too much discussion and practice of it these days, witness by board-discussions (that yes feds read) and the large number of bogus number-jobs on engines & frames happily sold & bought on ebay.

Key words in my prior post - Conscience and Karma.

There are still plenty of loose (properly) numbered and numbered/titled stock unit Triumph frames around.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

#14 ·
Dragon is right. Also in AZ it is not easy getting a title for something that doesn't have one. The last time I went to the DMV to do a vin check they needed the bike to be complete and road legal. which means dumping a few thousand into your $125 frame, only to be turned down, or impounded? It isn't worth it. And there are DMV people who know bikes, and will know that your frame is not a 71, since you are the person holding the frame, it is you who goes to jail.
use you $125 frame as practice and buy a frame with a piece of paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.