Jockey Journal Forum banner

78 triumph leaking oil left side

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  brent64 
#1 ·
Ok so I'm helping a friend out with his 78 Bonny 750. Getting things wrappedUp and begin to fire her up.
Adjusting what needs done.
Clutch was one thing that needed going over have the primary case off was
Balancing the clutch plate and the next day there is a puddle of oil on the ground. Cleaned everything up good and started the bike with the cover off oiling the primary chain and it looking like its coming from behind the stator. So today I go and try to find the part number for the seal and found out that after 1970
Or so there was
No seal any thoughts on where to look now or what to do ?? Thanks

#3 ·
Yeah, there's not supposed to be a seal there. The engine breaths into the primary and into the atmosphere via the tube that attaches to the top of the inner primary (which in this case is part of the cases). The three little holes between the pulleys are what is supposed to control the oil level in the primary.

If you put a seal on the crank, you'll blow every other gasket in the engine, don't ask me how I know :eek:

#4 ·
Not an expert and it's not gospel but:

On my 72 OIF 750 bonny I had a small tear in the primary outside cover gasket that caused a left side oil leak.

replaced oval shaped gasket problem solved.

Not sure if things where different for your year.

This was just for the final and probably goes without saying

, +1 on not plugging that internal oiler as it will blow shit up.

#5 ·
Oh that's interesting hmm but that's way different then my 64 bottom end that relies on its own oil chamber ? Right but wait I thought today's oil was a bit to slippery for the wet clutches that we have. Was allways told to run ATF fluid in the primary. Ok well glad to know that. Saves me some work

#7 ·
Reading this thread made me clearly understand why when I was a younger dude, the older Triumph gurus faces would contort and they would look at you with a WTF are you talking about look and give you the same kind of WTF are you doing and saying responses.

I then thought to myself that I have been living and breathing Triumph motorcycles for going on 30 years now and have learned so much that I have to realize that not everybody knows what I know and I don't even consider myself to know that much.

But, here is a guy in 2013 who has been around Triumphs and doesn't know that a 1978 model Triumph shares oil in the primary with the rest of the engine??? And it then became clear, going back in time, and reliving those moments with the guys that came up with Triumphs back in the '60's to the time I started as a teenager in the late '80's with Triumphs and the things I said then, that caused the looks of WTF are you saying and talking about and replies with absolute disdain and irritation in their voices !

Because, I found myself feeling that exact same way. But, then I got a hold of myself, took a swig of brew and thought...relax dude..it's just the cycle repeating itself and just because you know this much, doesn't mean the other guy does. We all have different levels of experience and degrees to how much we have learned about these particular motorcycles. And that's what these forums are for, to share that knowledge and ask those questions....something we didn't have back in '86 !!

Anyway, maybe you will think I am a jack ass or maybe you will get a laugh out of it and know WTF I am talking about but thought I would share the moment with my fellow JJ'rs...because what else better do we have to do sometimes...especially at 11:00 at night in a snow filled landscape and having a few cold ones ;)

#9 ·
Reading this thread made me clearly understand why when I was a younger dude, the older Triumph gurus faces would contort and they would look at you with a WTF are you talking about look and give you the same kind of WTF are you doing and saying responses.

I then thought to myself that I have been living and breathing Triumph motorcycles for going on 30 years now and have learned so much that I have to realize that not everybody knows what I know and I don't even consider myself to know that much.

But, here is a guy in 2013 who has been around Triumphs and doesn't know that a 1978 model Triumph shares oil in the primary with the rest of the engine??? And it then became clear, going back in time, and reliving those moments with the guys that came up with Triumphs back in the '60's to the time I started as a teenager in the late '80's with Triumphs and the things I said then, that caused the looks of WTF are you saying and talking about and replies with absolute disdain and irritation in their voices !

Because, I found myself feeling that exact same way. But, then I got a hold of myself, took a swig of brew and thought...relax dude..it's just the cycle repeating itself and just because you know this much, doesn't mean the other guy does. We all have different levels of experience and degrees to how much we have learned about these particular motorcycles. And that's what these forums are for, to share that knowledge and ask those questions....something we didn't have back in '86 !!

Anyway, maybe you will think I am a jack ass or maybe you will get a laugh out of it and know WTF I am talking about but thought I would share the moment with my fellow JJ'rs...because what else better do we have to do sometimes...especially at 11:00 at night in a snow filled landscape and having a few cold ones ;)
Na man totally love learning about these bikes I have had so much fun the past 3 years working on them for friends working on my 64 getting pissed off and then having a comuinty that is so fast on getting back its great.
I don't mind a damn thing when it comes to learning something new or a
Old trick haha.

#12 ·
hey i'm there with you! i have a 79 , and a 64. the 79 has been a heck of a learning curve! you might really consider avoiding my headaches... run motorcycle spec oil in the thing or you will have clutch slippage . i'm hard headed and had to clean the clutch twice , and then replace it as i used my favorite havoline . now i use the motorcycle spec oil for engines with clutches and nary a trouble with the clutch. napa carries it. tony, as for the wtf ... i hear you , almost blew my soup outta my nose reading your post, then got a lil misty thinking bout those who have passed who put up with me when i knew far less than i do now... thank you and all of you fine folks hereabouts. we value your advice, and treasure your patience even if only after we muck it up being hard heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.