Jockey Journal Forum banner

The designated springer ID thread

343K views 731 replies 207 participants last post by  govmule84 
#1 · (Edited)
Changed this up so others can put there Springer ID questions here so the board doesn't get clogged with multiple threads.

Just purchased this springer, it's en route to me so this is the only pic i have for now til it comes next week. Looking for any help identifying it. Looks similar to a Sugar Bear (rockers and trees) but the front legs and spuds look different.

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#683 ·
I think this is an RL springer, not sure if it’s original or not though? Also I’ve never seen an I-beam style front leg like this one and was wondering if anyone had any info on it? Thanks fellas!
Ben

Attachments

#684 ·
What stem is it?

RL's were all 7/8 standard, also shorter than a VL. I also thought RL's were all front leg I beam.. but I'm not hugely versed on them. I know to make them fit a Big twin they need a fair bit of work!

Looks in great shape too!

#689 ·
I just sent pics of that front leg to a buddy the other day. That thing is neat. He's extending an I-beam right now, and that one popped into my head.

I wonder if that's not some sort of flat stock bent and added to a more pedestrian front leg, then welded and cleaned up.

#692 ·
Not sure if this thread is still active but can anyone tell me what this Springer is. I've attached a couple of photos including numbers stamped into the side. Thanks

Attachments

#698 ·
Hey Zeeman thanks for the info. The Springer is heavy as hell. Is there any where you can point me to get some verification that it is an early dick Allen.
Thanks a bunch
The best resources for info on Dick Allen are: the Chopper Handbook page -

Or search the tag dick allen on the MC Art blog, or Irish Rich's Applied Machete blog. All the info there you could want.

#699 ·
Dick Allen/Sugar bear are great springers. As Zee has stated all OG by the look of it too. I'm not 100% certain (i'm sure somebody will confirm or correct me) but I believe the stem and the like was braised as well. Simple to maintain and the only real wear is in the bushings!

#701 ·
Talked to the guys who now run dick Allen's shop and own his original bikes here in SoCal, they say it's not one of theirs. Guy said it's definitely from the 70's but not a 100% dick Allen original. Basically said it could be several parts from different front ends put together. But if you guys can give me any more info I would appreciate it.

#702 ·
And who are they? Dick Allen is long gone, and nobody took over his shop. Plenty of people ripped off his parts, though. There was a cobbled together frame and parts that claimed to be the original 'Locomotion' bike, with zero proof, on ebay earlier this year.

#704 ·
Well from what I can tell it seems like a dick Allen possibly some sugar bear rockers or some swapped parts. The rear legs are welded to the tree so there's been some work done to it at some point. But regardless I'm just trying to get some idea of what it is and what it's possibly worth.

#706 ·
I laid my hands on this 58 XLCH that someone thought would look good with this springer on the front of it after they hardtailed it. I'm probably going to pull it off and put it back stock, if anyone has any idea what it actually is I'd appreciate the help. Please let me know if there is anything angle that is needed to make an ID. I tried to google the numbers I found on it, but i got nothing back. I've never really messed with springers before, so I'm a bit clueless.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Tire

Automotive tire Hood Blue Vehicle Motor vehicle

#709 ·
Look here:

#714 ·
Another friendly hint. Don't just post up here and demand/ask for someone else to do the work for you. This thread contains almost every springer ever mass produced, and several one-offs. Look through it and see if you can find anything that matches what you have, before expecting others to do that for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.