Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recommendations for running just a rear brake...

6K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  magnum45pete 
#1 ·
I am current putting together a rigid Harley using some parts off an '82 Ironhead. I am running a 16 in the rear and a 21 in the front. I have seen lots of custom bikes running just a rear brake and am curious if there is a certain caliper/hand control/disc you guys would suggest using for that purpose. Possibly one that is a bit stronger or one known for having more stopping power? I plan on getting new lines, pads and a new caliper due to not completely trusting one that's 30 years old for my sole source of stopping. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

*disclosure - I searched for this topic and apologized if I have reposted something that has already been posted.

#3 ·
My opinion. Much the same as above. Back brakes are easy to lock up. The car you hit will stop you much faster.

#6 ·
Yeah, no need for a front brake on a high-powered, lightweight motorcycle — much better to look cool. Very smart.

#7 ·
Make sure you increase your insurance, to cover half a brain. Looking cool, will get you hurt, and in this case, maybe killed. You have to ask yourself, how cool is it, looking out from a "closed casket funeral". Just remember, you only live once, but you are dead, forever.

#8 ·
A motorcycle is a dangerous vehicle.

If you want to be safe, I suggest a full size SUV with air bags and crumple zones.

Many people ride for years with no front brake and have zero problems, other than the close calls we all have at times. You are forced to adjust your attitude and ride more defensively and look further ahead than you do when you have the false sense of safety that front double disks and ABS gives you.

I'm just going to assume that the original poster is an adult and can make his own decisions about his life without the need for people pretty much calling him stupid just for daring to ask about something that is done all the time.

#13 ·
Thanks Englishman. I agree with def having to have a way more defensive riding style with running just a rear brake. And yes, I am an adult who had a question and was fully prepared for sarcastic comments from everyone. I was hoping at least one or two replies would surface answering my question, which they have.

#9 ·
No front brake are you building a trailer queen or a scooter you're gonna ride? 70% of your stopping power is in your front brake why would you want to give that up? Yes I have had bikes with rear brake only it requires a very differant riding style. just say'in

#11 ·
Ok.....heres a fact,not opinion. you cannot increase the stopping power of a rear wheel only system. You can only increase the reaction time of the system, but a skidding rear wheel is a skidding wheel, and math determines the stopping distance. Thats why the cops measure your skid marks after you crash......to calculate how fast you were going when you died.......mechanical drum vs hydraulic disc makes almost zero difference on the total stopping distance.......unless you add ABS.

#19 ·
I was glad of two brakes last Saturday while riding along at about 50 in bright daylight, on a good main road, when some 90-year-old bint in a little hatch-back pulled out across the road in front of me . . . no front brake looks cool on the right bike, but luckily for me that day my Lowrider isn't cool.

#20 ·
Gotta brake early with rear only and if your in a split second situation your mostly fucked.. I used a rear 2 piston fab Kevin on last triumph and it was perfect . Didn't lock up unless you stood on it. That was a bike under 400 lbs . I don't think I would ride a big twin with rear only brakes. Too much weight. I have locked up both wheels at the same time on a bt and it saved me from a wreck . If you wanna puit some miles have both breaks. $0.02..
Fuck abs bikes too, that feature is dangerous on a bike imo. It rolls when should be stopping

#21 ·
just remember ,back in the day,
Harley and Brit bike brakes were SHIT!!.....
you may as well not had brakes on the front so some removed them, if for no other reason to save the weight of a non working item of equiptment........
you also gotta remember that back the 60's there were 1/8 of the cars on the road than there is today,
Roads were also in better condition.............
and Bikes were a lot slower than they are today,
All in all,I wouldn't go that way in the modern times that we have to live and ride in.
but If you want the best rear brake you can get I'd go for PM,
great quality and the work great,
but even with the best rear brake in the world you will still not regain the 70% of braking you will have lost by ditching the front....
as Pink Floyd put it in ''Two Suns in the sunset''

''Like the moment when the brakes lock
And you slide towards the big truck
You stretch the frozen moments with your fear.
And you'll never hear their voices
And you'll never see their faces
You have no recourse to the law anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.