Jockey Journal Forum banner

Home made workshop tools

1M views 362 replies 161 participants last post by  richbob 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just wanted to see what kind of homemade tools and stuff you guys have... I've already heard of a few.

One guy said a washing machine motor for a buffer.

Also saw a drill in a vice and a grinder become a lathe.

What else ya'll got?

#105 ·
Folks,
Here is my Hone from Hell.

Powered by an inverted floor scrubber, the tank was an ordinary water pressure tank with a flip-over carriage made of 1" nylon plate to allow cylinders with torqueplates to be attacked from both ends with a minimum of compression stress.

A stainless salad bowl beneath holds honing oil and a Little Giant hydroponics pump. The Art Deako step was a kitchen table, and the tombstone shroud at the top was cut from a patio table.
The shift knob and foot pad are true billet aluminum that I cut and ran decades ago.
The vertical ram is internally spring-loaded, manually reciprocated by handlebars, what else. The effort involved is how the machine got its name.

And of course, it drives a Sunnen AN honing head.

Thanks for your indulgence,

....Cotten

Attachments

#110 ·
adjust the adjuster so that the lower bearing assembly barely cleares the upper and align it as good as you can,

then spot weld the lower bearing mount to the adjuster

and remowe the bearings,use a scrap piece cut to 25mm to make sure the lower brackets stay in place,weld solid,and grind to desired finnish,now you can measure the upper bearing for the grooves
and machine them

desmantle and paint and refit all components
it shoul look something like this (maybe better)

#125 ·
any one capable of helping me do a cnc cutting file to make new lower dies for these babies?? i can make a rough drawing in paint with radius and dimensions
//janne

#112 ·
it might look like it need stiffening but it's sturdy enough to make beaad marks in 1mm steel and then your applying to much force anyway,hope you like it and build your own version and post the result,maybe it will look alot better than mine so we all can learn more

//janne

#113 ·
//janne

Awesome tool/design, thanks!

Have a question. How good a fit do you need between the 32x32 bar and the 40x40x4 tube that it slides into, and how do you get the inside weld seam out of the 40x40? I've taken the seam out of square tube before, but it was a bitch.

Guy

#114 ·
//janne

Awesome tool/design, thanks!

Have a question. How good a fit do you need between the 32x32 bar and the 40x40x4 tube that it slides into, and how do you get the inside weld seam out of the 40x40? I've taken the seam out of square tube before, but it was a bitch.

Guy
thanx
i have a wery complex way of dealing with that,,,,,,,, just kidding i use a 2,2 mm or similar cutting disc and make a groove in the 32x32 along it's entire length :)

when fabing the peices detirmine how you are going to put the 32 in the 40 right away and stick to that i tried to remove the weld first but to no need,the 32 fits firmly enough inside the 40 :)

#116 ·
The eyes aren't what they used to be I guess :eek:.

I know I won't find that tubing down at the steel yard here and since we don't make anything in this country anymore I'm afraid to order some anyway, so I'll most likely fit the bar to what ever I find, just wanted to know how nice it should fit more than anything. I remember when we made 4130 in this country and was so accurately drawn it didn't need any machining to correct for size, it was what they said it would be. As you probably know, not any more with the import stuff.

#117 ·
The eyes aren't what they used to be I guess :eek:.

I know I won't find that tubing down at the steel yard here and since we don't make anything in this country anymore I'm afraid to order some anyway, so I'll most likely fit the bar to what ever I find, just wanted to know how nice it should fit more than anything. I remember when we made 4130 in this country and was so accurately drawn it didn't need any machining to correct for size, it was what they said it would be. As you probably know, not any more with the import stuff.
well the less movement in the adjuster the better,there's allways a way of getting it to allmost zero,and if you're buildeing for your own time doesn't matter :)
good luck with the wheel and post a pic of it when finished,have you Q's i will try and help :)

//janne

#128 ·
For an English wheels I have made I found that the self aligning bearing are aways perfect and from a surplus store most of the time cheap receiver hitch tubing works more than good enough to use for the moving parts as long as everything lines up under tension they work perfect and very predictable.:cool:

Attachments

#132 ·
For an English wheels I have made I found that the self aligning bearing are aways perfect and from a surplus store most of the time cheap receiver hitch tubing works more than good enough to use for the moving parts as long as everything lines up under tension they work perfect and very predictable.:cool:
can you take a real close up on your lower bearing?? mine has standard items as well but i would love to have a more radius to swap between

cheers
/7janne

#135 ·
sorry i explained like an arse , i meant a smaller tighter radius but the gearings get really small and useless in my opinion then

//janne