Jockey Journal Forum banner

trio of trumps

35K views 163 replies 61 participants last post by  image1 
#1 ·
fucker's seem to be multiply-ing in my shop. Waiting on my crank(S) to get back from the machine shop, and another box of parts, but this is what i have ahead of me....
looks fun huh?

See less See more
#4 ·
( broken rod)
actually, all of these are broken rod motors...
1. open primary clutch bearing went
2. po reversed oil lines and spun rod
3. sludge trap, spun rod
4. not sure, but crank was WASTED, several thousandths below min spec for a -.020

#5 ·
After watching TroyFab's build, and his 'shark fin' removal i decided i REALLY liked that look, and so i did it on my engine as well, but i also went a little further and cut off the top section of the cover AND the outer transmission housing. I rounded it all out and blended the housing to where it looks factory. I'm stoked about how it all came out, looks kinda like pre-unit in a way.

Stock Example:

After Modifications:

#11 ·
got some more work done last night on the 'hot rod' motor. Finally tracked down a lay shaft 3rd gear (hard to find 5 spd parts) and got the transmission all put back together, new bearings throughout. Also did some more fat trimming. I am retro-fitting (this is a 71 tr6) earlier style cam wheels to some Megacycle cams to go in this engine, and decided that they needed to lose some weight.

Stock timing gear set, thick and bulky

Earlier (68) timing gears, on a diet.

#20 ·
I don't know how I missed this thread a month ago, but I actually did the same shark fin removal a couple months ago for the same reason, I like the look of it a little better without the filler. The weird thing is that even though I'd seen the bottom fin cut off I thought I was the only one rocking the shaved top fin and inner cover! I just pulled the timing gears out this morning and was thinking about drilling those out. Got a picture of the jig you used? I just want to make sure I get it perfect. Looks like you got a bit of work ahead of you! Good luck!

#22 ·
chippin' away at things still...

got the bottom end of this motor back together (hope to be picking up the fresh cyl. barrels tonight) and then on to the top end. Got a seat pan made up (NATE!), still gotta make some mounts. Just couldn't leave well enough alone and ended up cutting the pipes down some. Got a rear mount made for the exhaust last night. Got all the old exhaust mounting shaved off, forward controls are shaved off. I don't know, there is a CHANCE still....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.