The Jockey Journal Board - View Single Post - How I finally fixed Triumph pre unit chaincase oil leak
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 04:37 AM   #4
Britiron

Default Re: How I finally fixed Triumph pre unit chaincase oil leak

Hi Thunderbird, thanks for your comments. Yes, I considered the belt drive option, but I've seen that people have had issues with belt shreading failures: maybe down to some belt quality or misalignment. Also, I don't know how well the drive sprocket oil seal seals.Although most belts can be run in oil, the same problem might arise. Finally, how well do clutch friction plates operate / last with no oil?
The person who had the bike before me has drilled two holes through the circular location pad (for the inner chaincase) in the drive side crankcase. It took me a while to figure out why the chain case was filling. I sealed these with epoxy resign and i'm sure it's fixed the issue, but it had added to my paranoia about the rear oil leak. I run a (modified, as it is designed for a T140) racetrack exhaust system, which runs under the chaincase and this ends up with a lot of burnt on oil on it.
I'm an automotive development engineer, so improving designs / reusing other parts is natural to me. I've tried to keep the character of the bike, but improve it. It had been converted to a chopper before I had it, so it was never going to be a concurs original.
The 750 Morgo conversion with 5 speed gears and decent brakes has transformed it. I'm trying to find a dealer for Megacycle cams, who will ship to the UK. I picked this up in another thread, but Megacycle don't do mail order or deal with customers direct. Shame, because their products look really good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1938.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	256398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1939.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	998.3 KB
ID:	256400  
Britiron is offline   Reply With Quote