Jockey Journal Forum banner

couple of sportster questions

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Racepres 
#1 ·
i don't have a lot of experience with ironheads and i've run into a few issues with a 76 basket case i'm trying to resurrect . First off this thing got punched in the nose at some time and it tweaked the frame. I can straighten it but it has a "dimple" on the side of the backbone directly over the top motor mount. It's pretty uniform looking so my first question is did the '76 frame have this feature stock or is it a result of the impact ?

My next question is about the rear tank mount. It had a mustang style tank when it came in and I want to go back with a stock tank. I tried putting what I thought was a stock tank on it (wall hanger of unknown origin) but the rear mounting hole is about 1" off. Were there different length tanks or is mine just a poor fitting aftermarket unit ?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I am putting my '75 back into it's stock frame also. The dent belongs there, it was to allow. access to the top motor mount bolt with power tools during assembly. In your first picture the hole you have the tank lined up to is not a original hole it was added by someone. The hole you see in the gusset ahead and below were the tank is in the picture is the front tank mount hole and uses two spacers to mount the tank and the coil mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.