Jockey Journal Forum banner

Removing Chrome... Secrets Revealed Pics and Video

7K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  gapwelder 
#1 ·
I hate chrome and bad chrome is even worse...Ive searched the internet for years for a way to remove chrome and came up with nothing Its been discussed over and over But as of yet no soulution except having it chemically stripped, which is just as expensive as having it plated. Ive tried sanding...Dont Work! Muratic Acid...Dont Work!
But I finally got it. All you need is some F'ed up Chrome, a razor blade, Jim Morrison, and some time. Its really amazing how easy this is and hardly any effort.

Picture:

Videos Click to watch:

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been Doing the same thing to the shitty old Chrome on my Girder.

Talked to my powdercoater about it for a while and came to the same conclusion, while pulling off a few big flakes of chrome. It's a lot more tedious with the thin tube, than large flat surfaces,but works just as easy.

Tom waits is usually playin' around here,hah.

#5 ·
Quote: But as of yet no soulution except having it chemically stripped, which is just as expensive as having it plated.....

Expensive having chrome stripped....and they charge you for that? You need to talk to them about that - and build up some sort of rapport with them - it'll save you a lot of time if you need to strip chrome often!

We can go to our chromers here, hand them the stuff then stand around telling jokes for 10 - 15 mins while they electrically dip (reverse current) and strip it while we watch & wait - and it's always free....they know we'll be back to have chrome done soon enough and wouldn't think of charging for such a quick & simple procedure.

Of course I always comment to them as I'm leaving, that there's no charge for the chrome they just gained off my old parts....ha.... and I throw them a few cases of beer at xmas.

#6 ·
Its illegal to chrome in NY because of the caustic chemicals, so all chroming has to be shipped out of state. Its would be nice to have a local guy to go to and build a rapport with, but even the locals that chrome ship out of state, or the few illegal spots that do chrome...wont cut ya a deal...well because why should they, where else ya gonna go.

#8 ·
Its illegal to chrome in NY because of the caustic chemicals, so all chroming has to be shipped out of state. Its would be nice to have a local guy to go to and build a rapport with, but even the locals that chrome ship out of state, or the few illegal spots that do chrome...wont cut ya a deal...well because why should they, where else ya gonna go.
Sorry Marco - If I'd been awake and sharp enough, I'd have seen you were on LI.
I lived on "the Island" for a while - and yes you are right, getting anything chromed or finding a decent plater there is next to impossible - we sent stuff to Jersey where apparently, the inspectors are too frightened to check up on chemical discharge anymore - the ones that did, we heard, ended up in the river.....but the plating was good.

#7 ·
i use muratic acid and a bead blaster. i blast it first then let it sit in muratic. then blast again then continue the process till it's done. thats for small parts of course. nothing like crash bars or big parts. thanks for the tip, i'll try it. chromers here charge my ass to strip the big stuff.

#11 ·
I had flaking chrome and light pitting on my shovel rocker boxes...used a razor as far i could then polished the rest. I was unhappy the polished aluminum didn't match. So, in the end, I just took em to plating place, charged 50 to remove in one day turnaround.....Super clean, then just sanded and buffed and polished....
all in all getting it stripped professionally has the best result

#13 ·
Chrome is evil.

Every piece is different, but occasionally the plating is so poor that it will wrinkle off in leaves when blasted with steel shot. It has a hammering effect that literally expands the layer of plate to loosen it from the parent metal.

It leaves a finish resembling sand-cast, much better than just beads or even sand itself. Aluminum is easiest to strip and texture.

But there is usually some spots where plating sticks tight, and it must be ground through first with a sanding roll or something, as even aggressive aluminum oxide media will cut the softer metal first, leaving the tough plated area elevated, and ugly, even when it does finally come off.

Did I mention that chrome is evil?

....Cotten

#20 ·
Re: pool acid

I've used the process in the Caswell manual to strip chrome off metal with good results. (Sulfuric acid and water solution along with current). I have never tried the process with aluminum tho.... If it is a valuable part I think I would use acid only as a last resort. That shit can be dangerous, too. Will blasting not take the rest of the chrome off? That would be the simplest and safest way.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.