Jockey Journal Forum banner

"Chasin' Dreams" Ironhead build

10K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  lowkeyfilmz 
#1 · (Edited)
I'll get into the name later but for now I'll throw up some photos.

1970 Frame, 1975 motor. Ugly SOB.

First things first, strip the ugly off it, scuff it, rattle can it and ride it.

Than one night I am enjoying a ride and an old woman whips a corner while I am at a stop sign and this happens.

I escaped with minor injuries. Broken left arm and a bruised knee. Good thing I was planning on replacing that front end back to a narrow glide and had the parts ready to go on it before the insurance check even came.

Front end mocked up. 35mm tubes cut down just about 4", hand shaved sliders, Mullins Chain Drive trees, 21"X1.60" spool with stainless spokes, Aris repop...

Tank is already mocked up and off to paint by Ray Shredhelm

See less See more
#3 ·
I haven't been to Somerville in about a year. I have family there. I'm a bit of a lone wolf so I never have any idea what is going on in the world of meets, rides, shows and runs. What's goin on up there on Fridays?

#4 ·
Ray shot some primer and fine tuned the tank today. Got the basecoat laid down. House Of Kolor F15 Silver and some other smaller silver flake mixed in to fill the gaps. Guessing by the rainbow effect, probably Ed Roth.

#8 ·
I had to sell it. I was supposed to be moving to Santiago, Chile this month to be with my now ex girlfriend. I couldn't afford to ship a project so I figured selling it would give me the cash to ship the Harley there. I traded my 1963 Newport for this bike because I couldn't ship that either. Me and my girl planned to ride around South America for a year. Had my passport ready, had just about all the money ready then I got into the accident, the next day she left me because she met someone and was scared she had feeling for someone else. All the dreams I had came crashing down. They say, when it rains, it pours. I sold all my belongings for those dreams with and this bike is all I have left. Hence the name.

The Beezer and the Chrysler I traded off to make that move possible.

#13 ·
I had to sell it. I was supposed to be moving to Santiago, Chile this month to be with my now ex girlfriend...
Wow, as harsh as it is, at least ya' didn't get moved into another country, and THEN have her flake out on ya'!

Best wishes on the life shit and on the bike project.

-Bill

#12 ·
Sorry to hear about your bad run, I remember having went liquid once upon a time over and ex old lady and in the uhual on my way down south she broke the news that bore a striking resemblance to yours and many others before and after us alike.

I lived out of that Uhual for about a week then to a storage unit for my shit, then I paddled out to an island with enough booze,water and smoke to damn near sink the yak.

Lived there for about a month on the cheap dusted off the sand and started to get out there an get after it once again. I still think about that shit on my jap bike once in a while as that was the only thing of value I had a the time.

Love hardtail sporty's good luck on the build and may the 1 kick dream stay alive.

#14 ·
It sucks about the circumstances that lead you down the Path to where you are now, but you're turning it around and putting your Dreams back in the crosshairs, where they belong. I'm partial to early AMF-era Sportys myself...wouldn't want anything else, so I'm liking what I see here.

Keep at it and let your focus take you where your destiny lies...in the wind! :cool:

#16 ·
Thanks for all the love guys. Figured a bunch of you would know kinda what I was going through. Enough with my after school special here and on ward with the update!

Took the stock coil bracket, unbent one of the 90's and welded it to the bottom side of the head cradle on the top motor mount and put the wires facing inward. They are held together with a plastic plug wire clip from a car wire set, plenty of clearance so the wires don't tough the jugs. Looks cleaner this way IMO. Also did a lot of cleaning to the motor. it had a ton of black over spray from the PO. Just needs some chrome rocker boxes, but that can wait.

Threw some stainless t-bars on. They really set off the look I want vs. the wide apes. These trees were begging for some skinny bars. Need to get some stock length cables to clean it up, once again, that is shit that can wait. Waiting on my last 2 parts before it can hit the road again and that is the front axle and neck cups. Few minor things need to be done like shorten the kick stand, drill a hole in the back bone for the coil wires, wire the head light, bleed the brakes :p

#20 ·
She's back to life. Took it out on a shake down run tonight. Front end feels super stiff. Probably over filled and a little tight. I'll give it a once over in the morning to check for stuff that may have loosened up.

It was a lot of work getting it back on the road, she's a violent ride, and scary as hell too!

#23 ·
Little update. Got a few hundred shake down miles on her. It's getting better and better as I work out the bugs. Dropped the new tank on tonight, some new hardware, and new fuel lines. Hard tail should be here Wednesday or Thursday. Also got my new aluminum ribbed fender in the mail last week. Need to polish it out still. Also got a new chain, seat mounts, seat springs, and I have a Moon 3 qt oil tank going on it. Hopefully most will be done by Sunday night next weekend.

#29 ·
The hardtail is a DB straight leg, 4" stretch, 3" drop. It's LOW. I wouldn't go more than 3" You have to be careful on curbs, driveways, speed bumps etc... I have not dragged pipes yet, I drag pegs when really getting in it. I don't know how anyone rides a 4" drop and enjoys it. Wheelies and jumping curbs are fun. The lower and longer you go, the harder wheelies get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.