Jockey Journal Forum banner

Norton or how to not behave...

7K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  HD48FL 
#1 ·
#43 ·
Seems like the two bad extremes are dominating the discussion. Surely there's a middle ground between letting the site become a lifestyle/chaps-and-bandanas pit and running it into the ditch in the name of tech purity.

A thread about the remarkable things guys are doing with paint, for example, might or might not get into the tech aspects of how they achieved a paint effect, but either way it added value to the site (well, I thought so).

Moderating the JJ menagerie has got to be a difficult and thankless job, and I really appreciate HD48FL's work as well as his reasoning and his ability to avoid a nervous breakdown (so far). I just think that a thread doesn't need to be decimal-heavy to be enjoyable to many and useful to quite a few.

#44 ·
"a thread doesn't need to be decimal-heavy", wossat? is introducing metrics being consisered, count me out.
all for paint, finishes and stitching to be discussed and thought it was but only limited by lack of practitioners on the forum. maybe broaden the scope of the JJ and encourage cafe racer builds also, that's got to add an extra perspective where handling is a priority and not just a result of style.
can this thread be stopped and get back to m/c's even if in an irregular way. the way I see it is this just another slump in m/c / custom popularity I've lived through several before and it won't affect hardliners.

#46 ·
Back to the original posting and some numbers being bandied about which just make the whole Norton debacle look like a complete scam and in reverse order>
£300K owed to Tax man
£750K default on bank loan
£4M taken in grants from UK Govt' and ultimately the tax payer
£5M taken as down payments from US customers who won't receive their machines
£5 million owed to Chinese development and manufacturing co'
£14M of British pension fund money that won't be see again
£16M taken as down payments from UK customers who won't receive their machines
£20M taken as down payments from Japanese customers who won't receive their machines
how did Stuart Garner sleep at night
and don't forget the 100 or so UK workers now without employment
even if these figures are only reasonably close the whole thing stinks and someone should be held to account.

#47 ·
Norton was the perfect vehicle for shady actors because some bikers are as giddy as schoolgirls when they see a cherished decal. Garner's crew have sketchy pasts.

As for the forum, leave it as-is because no reason exists to duplicate other forums. Those wanting the option of other forum can do what I do and click on the hyperlink. Not hard! The absence of Jockey Journal content there is as irrelevant to the absence of their content here. Forums should SPECIALIZE. If anyone wants drooling gummers randomly babbling over old bikes I recommend Facebook.

"My butt hurts on long rides" threads are for vtwinforum "boomers with baggers" threads. (Their FXR forum is excellent though). If ye cared about physical pain ye'd not ride a chopper! The point of aping anti-functional obsolete designs is ART, not function. Choppers are folk art. We like pain because it makes us feel alive.

New Nortons aren't real Nortons. They're "Garners" with a fucking Norton decal that played on ignorant sentiment. No one's real Norton was negatively impacted. (I asked mine. They said nothing.)

New Norton is irrelevant here. Nuke the thread.

#49 ·
"My butt hurts on long rides" threads are for vtwinforum "boomers with baggers" threads. (Their FXR forum is excellent though). If ye cared about physical pain ye'd not ride a chopper! The point of aping anti-functional obsolete designs is ART, not function. Choppers are folk art. We like pain because it makes us feel alive.
that was an example...:rolleyes:

#52 ·
I like building, fixing, and riding motorcycles.

When I can't be on them, I like to think about them and talk about them.

I have no dog in the fight on this place. I love it and have derived much value and pleasure from it over the last 15 years.

I thank the people that keep it going even after the crowds have moved to other pursuits or other media.

Thank you.

Jason

#54 ·
Gosh, I never though this thread would run for so long...

I like coming on this forum cause there was a lot of misfits in here...

When I say misfits, I mean it in its OEM sense, a square peg with loads of round holes around it...

I always felt like that square peg in me life, never joined any crew or went out of me way to join any, be it antique bikes, bike culture, rock n' roll, free jazz or whatever I dig else in this small world.

Always a loner, forever a loner...

Which doesn't mean I hate all the round holes around me, I just can't fit in.

But I look at them, peek inside and from time to time, like what I see inside some.

This forum is one of these holes. I never been a chopper man, never owned a chopper, never even liked most chopper looks, but it's a theme that allows guys to build whatever springs into the free part of their heads, and that's near enough what I try to do with me bikes.

Which is probably why some of you let me loose in here...

At the moment, we are losing so much individuality, all of society around us tries to sell us an uniformed boring future and a lot of guys feel safe in that environment without seeing the huge pitfalls...

There's not enough of us left and to the others, I say remove these shackles and set yourselves free again!!! It's fun living outside the groove!!!

Patrick

#56 · (Edited)
it's almost like shops not getting into the digital era and not keeping up with the customers demands and the times... they end up closing down.
There's no valid brick and mortar comparison to website hosting. OT sections consume a lot of bandwidth relative to informational content, and someone has to pay for that wasted bandwidth and disk space. While those aren't particularly expensive they aren't free. Ever wonder why old (self-hosted) images disappear from forums? Many automatically delete them to save disk space because small image files add up. So do posts. Look at post counts for OT fora and they usually dwarf other areas. That's why some forums require registration to post in OT and other high use / all noise areas.

Successful forums like the outstanding Steel Soldiers military vehicle site (founded 1999) take zero shit from social babblers and fiercely moderate to stay on-topic. (It's a very good idea to lurk a long time before posting so you know how they roll.) They enforce their rules and their forum is made a more valuable resource thereby. They could easily open the floodgates to any teentarded windowlicker who feels like posting OT crap or hallucinates their opinion on military vehicles is useful content and turn their site into Fecesbook or Spewtube. They don't nor do they have the slightest reason to do so.

https://steelsoldiers.com/threads/forum-rules.84063/#

Fecesbook bike groups are generally awful because of people too stupid to know what goes where on the internet. Most people are barely smarter than a fire hydrant (note 100 is an average IQ) and aren't able to understand why they should do anything. Forums are superior because they offer more granular moderator control and of course a searchable format with durable info instead of scattered random posts.

Chopper forums are actually very niche communities and choppers are far less popular (very specific regions of the world excepted) than hobbyists might imagine. (It's a boomer hobby from a boomer/silent generation past younger generations have little reason to identify with because they are of a completely different era. In other news T Model Ford enthusiasts aren't generally spring chickens and their forums survive despite production ending in 1927.) A quality site won't have a lot of participants but low quality sites like clubchopper (with that eyeball-destroying blue wallpaper which impressed some human interface-ignorant web designer) get even less traffic.

Traffic doesn't matter much so long as hosting bills get paid and it's advertising hits that pay those bills, not OT chitchat. Admins have access to all the relevant data. OT doesn't draw new viewers, tech content and quality do (along with SEO but that's not my shtick).

There's a forum for everything, there's Facebook, there's Reddit and more. Specialization permits focus permits quality.

Those wanting something different can check out Chop Cult, Harley Tech Talk, the AMCA forums and more. I do and each has a specific use! I'm all over different (not just motorcycles) forums because there's no reason not to. No significant number of internet users from a site revenue perspective only use one site.

#59 ·
Yeah, let's get on topic and talk only about our oh so narrow horizon...

That'll save us talking to guys with different view angles on the world and will reinforce all our prejudices but hey, why not, we're talking with our peers...

Great idea and reminds me I have go and get advice on some suicide forum rather than talk away my problem with my friendly neighbours cause I HATE the fookers, they smile all the time!!!!…

Patrick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.