Jockey Journal Forum banner

Question about oil through the crank vent on a 72 Triumph?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tgb3040 
#1 ·
Hello,
I just bought a 72 Triumph Bonneville 650 engine. It has an open crank ventilation; open into the transmission that is. I am not used to this since I only wrenched 69 and earlier before. I mounted a new alternator stator. I wanted to make sure everything was alright so I ran the engine without the transmission cover for about 5 minutes. During this, almost a pint of engine oil came through and out on the ground. This seems a little excessive to me, but I don’t know what to expect. Do I need to tear the motor apart in search of a fault, or might this be considered normal?

Best

#4 ·
It's normal. There's no seal on the crank on the later models, there are also a few small breather/oil return holes (I believe).

The primary and engine share the same oil.

#7 ·
Yes, I am starting to think: oil pump.
Now I can't get the motor started to check the return flow. I have a spark and I have fuel, so this indicates to me oil in the crank case.
I have good oil pressure, but the non return valve in the return piston might be leaking... That would give me these symptoms.
Hmmm, now, of to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.