The Jockey Journal Board

The Jockey Journal Board (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Board (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Powder coating VS Painting a frame (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156818)

CRAZYBEN 08-06-2014 11:42 PM

Powder coating VS Painting a frame

here;s the debate i bet i wont get a definitive answer. But are alot fo ppl powder coating frames or still best bet is to paint it. i have been suggested to mask thigs off and spray paint it i dont really wanna go that route at all.

dhallilama 08-07-2014 12:13 AM

Re: Powder coating VS Painting a frame

for some, myself included, powder coating doesn't look right depending on the bike.

now... my (sorta modern) dirtbike is powder coated, i've got other stuff that's done...
but on a (and i hate this term) "period correct" or "classic" build, i don't like it. my '67 sporty has enamel (came with the bike, in a HD branded can, brushed on). other bikes have enamel or even lacquer. only consider powder on the new(ish) stuff.

curtisvitoria 08-07-2014 12:45 AM

I didn't want to pull my motor out of my 69 Triumph, so I masked it and lightly sanded it down, I spot primed the rough spots and gave them a quick scuff. I then brushed in the whole frame (2 coats) with Tremclad Gloss Black. The brush marks levelled out after 20 min and let me tell you, turned out awesome. Every where I go guy's ask me who did the powder coating... Been on there for 5 yrs and a ton of miles and still looks and shines. Best part is, if you need to touch it up, it blends perfect.
My 2 cents

'59 08-07-2014 03:10 AM

not to hi jack the thread but; i can't afford to nickle plate a frame so am considering powder coating to closest finish.

please someone talk me out of this.

Ember 08-07-2014 03:45 AM

Scratch paint, you can re-paint/touch-up the spot. Scratch powder you are screwed.
I am always messing with my bikes and relocating things, or fabricating something for them, so paint works for me.

shovithead 08-07-2014 07:08 AM

Paint, paint, paint. Yeah, it is old and outdated. Yeah, it don't last as long. Yeah, it needs to be done more often. But, in the end, powdercoating is what a lot of people go with. Me, I still like to do my own paint. But, then, I try to do all my work, inhouse, and I still enjoy doing everything I can, to sweeten up old iron. I never tell anyone what they should do, but I do have a opinion. Paint.

Lester 08-07-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ember (Post 1479722)
Scratch paint, you can re-paint/touch-up the spot. Scratch powder you are screwed.
I am always messing with my bikes and relocating things, or fabricating something for them, so paint works for me.

DITTO ! ! ! !

Lester

BigDawg 08-07-2014 09:33 AM

I have thought about this over and over. I have powdercoated plenty of stuff over the years, but have been debating painting the frame on my '69. I remember Tattoo mentioning spraying his frame with POR-15 or something. What techniques do you guys use just for a basic, black frame paint?

Dr. Benway 08-07-2014 09:47 AM

POR-15 is great, very tough but it's not UV resistant. It gets chalky & fades in the sun...at least that used to be the case with it. I bet Eastwood's Chassis Black would be the ticket though.

chevelle 08-07-2014 09:51 AM

Powder coat is very difficult to remove.
For that reason alone Im not a fan.

Mr Bill 08-07-2014 10:23 AM

I use Zero Rust to touch up frames, both painted and powder coated. No issues.

http://raybuck.com/images/F12687724

Dave B 08-07-2014 11:54 AM

I vote for paint . Paint actually looks glossier than powder. Also consider what Chevelle said . Once I put powder stuff in my blast cabinet and the shot would not touch the powder coat. I ended up scraping the powdercoat off with wood chisels. I would not want to remove powder from a whole frame.

Dr. Benway 08-07-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave B (Post 1480050)
I ended up scraping the powdercoat off with wood chisels..

Very hard to get off...which is why people use it in the first place.

lilbill 08-07-2014 12:46 PM

i paint most of my frames with plain old rustoleum gloss black exterior enamel with a brush. done some with the bike assembled and some with a bare frame. it skins out smooth and durable, keeps it's shine even with power washing and easy touch up.
my super superglide is powdercoated (to go with it's multitude of new late model parts) and one of my hummers has a lot of powder because the parts were old and rusty and with powder it's mostly sand blast and shoot. a lot easier than prepping and painting (cheaper too in my case).

oilfield money 08-07-2014 12:46 PM

Powder coat comes in 0 - 10 in sheen . It is tuff and if that is what you are after go for it . But if you plan on making changes later to your frame go with the wally world rattle can

terd ferguson 08-07-2014 10:08 PM

Powder has come a long way as far as gloss goes. You can wet sand the clear just like paint clear to make that stuff shine. The Factory Metalworks did a black bike in powder (frame and tins) and it looked amazing in person. I still like paint though.

Tony the torch 08-07-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '59 (Post 1479698)
not to hi jack the thread but; i can't afford to nickle plate a frame so am considering powder coating to closest finish.

please someone talk me out of this.

I've tried a powder coat silverish color , and it looks ok but there is no substitute for real nickel plating,

the "golding" or antiquing in all the crevices of actual nickel plated frame would be difficult to duplicate, although it could be Faux antiqued with an airbrush and some gold paint.

Nickel is the only thing that actually looks like nickel. and it ain't really that expensive.

CRAZYBEN 08-07-2014 11:26 PM

intersting points! i have a feeling though that paint is still prefered choice of frame finishing

Tony the torch 08-07-2014 11:27 PM

I like both powder coating and paint. it all depends on what type of bike you're doing.

I use powder coated frames on average bikes, it's cheap, fast and easy.

and I use paint on the high end bikes

Skibo 08-08-2014 10:54 AM

If you're trying to remove powder from an entire part or frame, just take it back to the powder shop. They have the oven required to cook the finish off (just hotter than baking it on). A lot less work than trying to sand/scuff/ chisel (!!!) it off.