The Jockey Journal Board

The Jockey Journal Board (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/index.php)
-   New? Introduce yourself here! (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   New here but not to chopping (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213482)

BSATOM 11-09-2019 09:43 AM

New here but not to chopping

7 Attachment(s)
Hi folks. Tom here. Been building bikes for 20 years. Started with a 1967 BSA Lightning
that had been chopped in 1979 and stored since then. I got it for $800 and it still had an Arco rear tire on it. Then I build various other Brit bikes until I was offered a 1969 XLCH magneto Sporty. Now I was in the Harley world. Since then I have built from bare cases...a 1938 ULH chop...a 1967 FLH chop...a 1972 sawed off Sportster with 86cid Trock Shovester setup in a 1970's Denvers chassis....several stroked flathead 45 chops with Sportster oil pumps and either a Norton Atlas/Commando AMC gearbox or a Harley 4 speed. Several sawed of Sportsters made from cases with repeatedly blown and welded trans or primary areas. ( I like "sawed off Sportster" and dislike the terms "divorced Sportster" and "shortster". The heavy duty machine work mods are coming on, as I have acquired a 1943 Hendey 12x30 lathe and a 1954 Bridgeport round ram J head mill. Cut to ten years later and I am still chopping away. Just finished a 45 chop that was done in the 1960's and taken apart and stored in 1978. A 40 year time capsule. And as life goes on.....the sparks will fly in my garage. Here are some pics. All are not chops. I cut and welded on several of the bikes thus changing their geometry from the way they were manufactured. My take on chopping and choppers...The long Denvers Shovester pictured is not a chop, as it has not been modified from the way it was manufactured. It is a long custom, just like all the WCC and OCC bikes are. Just like a Sugar Bear build. Not a chopper, but a custom manufacture. I un chopped the Knucklehead frame back to blueprint specs. Pics are... 1) Trock Shovester with sawed off 1972 cases and a 1970's Denvers frame and fork. 2) 2003 Buell XB9 engine in a highly chopped 1989 Sportster frame with V-Rod rear wheel and 70s Sportster front end. 3) 1938 ULH 80" flathead in a Santee frame with Ceriani forks, 7/8 Flanders bars and hydraulic steering damper like Indian Larry did. 4) The same 1938 ULH and Santee frame and Ceriani forks redone in an older flavor after I sold it to a friend. 5) A sawed of 1957 first year Sportster with Dytch 3 3/8 cyls and 4 3/4 stroke = 85 CID (over 50% displacement increase from the stock 55CID engine) 6) My friends 1938 Knucklehead EL with turned down 74 flywheels. Correct 1938 frame, fork,trans and engine. Has a S&S carb, auto advance timer, belt drive and foot shift. A period bobber with modern real world upgrades for actual riding. Last pic is a sawed off Sportster in a highly chopped Demons Cycle Softail frame. I do all work from welding to spraying the paint and everything else. One man builds. I let my friend do the valve jobs and cylinder boring though.....he has better tools for that.

rhysmort 11-09-2019 06:10 PM

Re: New here but not to chopping

Welcome Tom!

Some killer bikes there sir!! love the flatty's! good to have you.