The Jockey Journal Board

The Jockey Journal Board (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Board (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1970 Shovelhead Build. (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79535)

MarkWinch 02-01-2011 02:24 AM

1970 Shovelhead Build.

7 Attachment(s)
So I did it. I went and bought a shovel motor, frame, and a bunch of other stuff off dude. He said the engine was pretty much re-build except for the pistons and it needs lifters and gaskets on the lifter blocks. Now this is all what he says needs to be done but who knows until it gets pulled apart. Overall the motor looks B-A. Lots of good chrome and fresh paint on motor. The frame I'm having some issues getting transferred to my name because for some reason it says unplated HD year 2011. Supposedly a 1970 frame. Anyways the bill of sale lists a 1970 parts bike to me. They wouldn't do anything so I'm going to get a new B.O.S. listing a 2011 frame. Still going to try and get my hands on a 1970's ownership and just have the vins switched over. Such a pain. Anyways it needs a front end, wheel, gas tank, brakes..... basically a whole lot of stuff. It's my first build so I'm pretty excited. On the other hand I'm worried that I will screw something up and possibly die on the test ride. No big deal right? Anyways. here is what I have mocked up so far. Not a whole lot but it's freezing out so it's a start! I'll try and update progress asap!

Dr. Benway 02-01-2011 06:30 AM

Re: 1970 Shovelhead Build.

Sell those silly pipes and buy yourself a proper air cleaner, your motor will thank you.

Trent 02-01-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Benway (Post 688841)
Sell those silly pipes and buy yourself a proper air cleaner, your motor will thank you.

+1 to the max.

panhead_pete 02-01-2011 07:18 AM

How can you swap VINS?

binky666 02-01-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent (Post 688842)
+1 to the max.

+2-then you will be off to a great start:)

MarkWinch 02-01-2011 11:04 AM

my buddy was saying that i just buy a frame or ownership off someone. Then have someone etch or stamp the vin into the frame. There is just a plate on the frame I have so I can just pull it off so there aren't 2 VINs on there. I haven't done this before but a few guys I know said they did this and had no problems.

MarkWinch 02-01-2011 11:05 AM

And yeah those pipes and velocity stack are silly

justrob 02-02-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkWinch (Post 688938)
my buddy was saying that i just buy a frame or ownership off someone. Then have someone etch or stamp the vin into the frame. There is just a plate on the frame I have so I can just pull it off so there aren't 2 VINs on there. I haven't done this before but a few guys I know said they did this and had no problems.

I don't know if things are different in Canada but in the US that would be highly illegal.

SlmLrd 02-02-2011 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkWinch (Post 688938)

Here we go......

Skibo 02-02-2011 04:28 AM

Wow. 3....2...1...

MarkWinch 02-02-2011 12:08 PM

first time doing anything like this so whatever

BigDawg 02-02-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkWinch (Post 689376)

Then don't listen to "friends." Do your research, go through the proper channels (Canadian-equivalent of the DMV, Mounties and whoever else has a part in titling motorcycles) and do it right or you'll be wasting your money. Restamping motor cases and frames is funny business that you don't want to be a part of unless you enjoy sharing bunk beds in an 8'x4' apartment with another man.

Derek43WLC 02-02-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkWinch (Post 689376)

The swapping a vin or tamering with one is illegal here in Ontario as well.
Find out the details from the MTO or Driver's Lisencing Center before you do something you may regret. Putting money into it, to have it inbounded and questioned.
And, you will get cop attention driving a "different, harttail, chop, or bobber" HD, they always seem to pick out the different looking ones out of a bunch of HD's, to look at and question.
I believe '70 was the first year for matching frame vin with motor.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get the project for?
Nice find and a good start!
Have you ridden a hardtail before? :D
Derek - Cambridge, Ont.

MarkWinch 02-02-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek43WLC (Post 689387)
The swapping a vin or tamering with one is illegal here in Ontario as well.
Find out the details from the MTO or Driver's Lisencing Center before you do something you may regret. Putting money into it, to have it inbounded and questioned.
And, you will get cop attention driving a "different, harttail, chop, or bobber" HD, they always seem to pick out the different looking ones out of a bunch of HD's, to look at and question.
I believe '70 was the first year for matching frame vin with motor.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get the project for?
Nice find and a good start!
Have you ridden a hardtail before? :D
Derek - Cambridge, Ont.

I spent 3500 for frame motor and a bunch of other parts here and there.

MarkWinch 02-02-2011 12:54 PM

And no, I havent ridden a hard tail before. I know i'm in for some punishment.

danisdead 02-02-2011 01:00 PM

You got a decent deal on that bike for sure, and you'll be fine with the hardtail, they are a lot of fun. Also, its better to have a legal 2011 special construction title than to have the cops take your bike. Have fun!

Derek43WLC 02-02-2011 01:10 PM

3500 is not a bad deal at all, BUT, the red tape is what will hurt and maybe cost.
Whatever you do don't get it transferred as a 2011, it isn't, and will be looked
upon as a "custom"...you will have a hell of a time getting insurance.
To register/transfer it as a custom build, be ready to provide pictures and ALL receipts for the parts the bike is made of.
Alot of guys are building customs, with MSO's and getting "new" vin's as custom build to find out they are going to pay out of their...for insurance.
That's why you see unfinished projects, not just that they "lost interest", they may have found out the insurance rate.
Again, double check if in Ontario, the frame and motor have to match, or is it just the frame number to the ownership.
Derek.

Dave63 02-02-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danisdead (Post 689395)
You got a decent deal on that bike for sure, and you'll be fine with the hardtail, they are a lot of fun. Also, its better to have a legal 2011 special construction title than to have the cops take your bike. Have fun!

Agreed. The neck looks like it's been worked on, possibily raked, if nothing but smoothed. Obviously modded as 1970 wasn't a hardtail.

Correct, 1970 was the first year for matching frame/engine VIN.

The VIN follows the frame, not the engine, so if you can show the DMV enough paperwork to get a Special Construction tag/VIN, then you're golden, unless the VIN on the engine is in the system for being stolen.

I know more then one person who assumed the frame VIN was the only issue to be concerned with, and the engine VIN came up stinky.

Either way, good luck with it.

MarkWinch 02-02-2011 01:12 PM

There are a few classes of bikes i can get it under.

1. "ASD" or KIT. Bike would be considered a kit and i would probably need a decent amount of lubricant for my bung to accept what i would pay in insurance.
2. "RBT" or Rebuilt. I don't know what insurance companies stance on these are. Or even if it applies to motorcycles. It states that if i have a old frame where the original VIN cannot be determined i can apply for a bebuild vin. No idea what i have to do.
3. "HOM" or home built. Obviously i would be insane to try and do this if i'm trying to keep my stuff original and low insurance cost.

Otherwise I'm actively trying to get my hands on an original frame and ownership. I'm not to worried on the whole frame deal seeing as how i'm being told that the motor dosent have to have numbers on it. I feel i got a decent deal on what i paid.

Derek43WLC 02-02-2011 01:21 PM

Did the office run the vin number?
Wisest thing you can do, if you did previously, is to go to the Driver's Lisencing Center and ask for a "buyer's package" for the vin's you have...you will find out right away if its stolen.
If it isn't, good, if it turns out questionable, don't go to the office again with that vin. :D

And, a "rebuild" will probably have to go through a complete safety inspection by ??? not just a "transfer" $60 quicky safety inspection.

Derek