The Jockey Journal Board

The Jockey Journal Board (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions & Suggestions (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Jockey Journal: Direction & Changes (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40147)

Ryan 07-28-2008 02:02 PM

The Jockey Journal: Direction & Changes

Hey fellas,

We've gotten a ton of feedback the last few weeks about the direction of The Jockey Journal and where it has been heading. Put shortly, we've taken it seriously. After considering all of the positives and negatives we received, it became pretty obvious (to me anyway) that most of the issues we face are basically the result of us not really narrowing the direction of this forum to a point that is understandable by everyone. As such, we are doing that now...

I realize this is going to upset quite a few people, but from here on out we are going to dedicate The Jockey Journal to traditionally influenced Euro and American bikes only. While we will let a few Jap based threads roll every now and then, we are no longer going to host the majority of them.

The decision was a hard one... I think we all realize that there is some great Jap based threads out there. However, The Jockey Journal needs more focus and less traffic at this stage in its life and we are hoping that narrowing the topics down does that for us. This decision in no way means that we (as a group) think you are lesser of a man if you are into the Jap scene... It's just not where we want to be right now.

We may or may not get even more focused in the future. Time will tell...

We are also working on other changes. In the next few days, our classified section will be closed down, all ads deleted, and a new classified section opened. It will be divided by "for sale" and "wanted". Both shops and individuals will be welcomed to post ads in the section. However, we are working on a way to label each in the future.

In fact, we are hoping to launch a new forum version in a few months with a number of new features. One of which is an expanded user page that allows users to upload their own photo galleries, create groups, etc... We are testing on the Jalopy Journal right now and folks seem to really dig it.

Anyhow, that's where we are and where we are headed. Please be patient with us on all levels... we are working hard to make this place better.

Thanks!

MobyNick 07-28-2008 02:14 PM

Re: The Jockey Journal: Direction & Changes

I'm going to Disneyland!

Seriously though, thank you.

alteredpilot 07-28-2008 02:14 PM

thanks. we needed this.

and i own a jap bike.

front st cycle 07-28-2008 02:14 PM

Thanks. Welcome the change!

NewYorkAndy 07-28-2008 02:17 PM

Thanks Ryan for the heads up and all of the work / BS that goes into dealing with this place. Looking forward to the new.

Dr. Benway 07-28-2008 02:18 PM

Angels sing.

Thanks.

2_wheel_nation 07-28-2008 02:18 PM

thank You.

davidabl2 07-28-2008 02:19 PM

Hope this means their will be a JapperJockeyJournal as well?
Or kind of a corral for them?
what about EVOs?

Bugles 07-28-2008 02:20 PM

Thumbs up!

Ryan 07-28-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidabl2 (Post 371183)
what about EVOs?

We don't have one planned at the moment.

As for Evos, we don't mind seeing an evo every now and then at all...

dez6485 07-28-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidabl2 (Post 371183)
what about EVOs?

dude, EVOs are American...

billydean 07-28-2008 02:24 PM

Looks like i better refinance the house so I can be cool on here now

seymour 07-28-2008 02:25 PM

finally!

sure666 07-28-2008 02:27 PM

these will be welcome changes. I'm ready to see more quality and less quanity more like it was when I lurked. I too ride a jap bike and will still visit the jj as much as I do now after the changes are made. keep up the fine work fellas.

dez6485 07-28-2008 02:29 PM

also, i applaud the change. i used to come here and read/look long before i joined, and the influx of little beater-ass jap bikes lately is insane. i have nothing against buying a little jap bike on the cheap and riding it, but doing so and then taking stuff off and putting on mismatched shitty looking stuff doesnt make it "cool".

and i am a big fan of stripped down, minimalist bikes, and rats as well; unfortunately even rats and such have a "vision"- something many of the beater looking bikes ive seen on here lately are lacking.

sorry for the rant, and theres also many people on here that have been here much longer than i, that have more of a right to say this than i did, but it was on my mind and figured this was the place to voice it.

and thanks, jap bikes or not, this is one hell of a forum!

shook 07-28-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billydean (Post 371190)

I don't know if your house is in a 3rd world country but my basket was $800. No need to take this transition personal.

The JJ2 has changed quite a bit in the past few years and I for one have not liked the direction. Hopefully we can bring back some of the quality participants who left because of these changes.

Thanks Ryan, this transition isn't going to make you popular but it's the right decision.

InvisibleKid 07-28-2008 02:37 PM

Great News!

Dr. Benway 07-28-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billydean (Post 371190)

OR...find an XS650 specific place to hang out. Just sayin'.

MCKENNA209 07-28-2008 02:40 PM

Sounds like you are going in the right direction! Good decision. Thanks

tickface 07-28-2008 02:41 PM

Thank You

boondocker 07-28-2008 02:44 PM

Cool Ryan,
I hope this brings some of the quality builders back to the board that have gone silent... I ride a jap cafe but I'll still be here to read and absorb... I'll prolly be working a little more on my Brit bike too.

This is a great board and a great source of inspiration.
Thanks for all the work that you all and the moderators put into it.

Cheers,
Claude

Scorcher 07-28-2008 02:45 PM

Another thing that was left out......

Events.

ALL Events if, are going to be here will go to the "Calender" All ads for events will be deleted on the main board. Event coverage is still welcome on the main board.

Here is a link, or the link can be found at the top of the forum:

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/calendar.php

-Jason

joe-the-fish 07-28-2008 02:47 PM

Nice it was gettin a little xs sixfiftyish on here, not that I haven't seen a few I like.

CShroom 07-28-2008 02:48 PM

I guess this begs to be asked.

What are those limits gonna be? I mean, I am piecing together a true 70's chop. Is that off limits now? What does "occasional" mean exactly? I like seeing all the different styles of bikes. I do have a soft spot for the 70's styles more than any other, but definitely can see the beauty in other styles also.

So while you say these things are being changed, you are pretty vague on what the lock down will be.

Kev Nemo 07-28-2008 02:50 PM

So when a thread with Jap content is posted, it will be autolocked until posting stops? Wonder how long it'll take til it sinks in...

The cb750 is the first in the stable, but I'm pretty sure there's a Trump in my future. This'll definately benefit everyone.

shook 07-28-2008 02:51 PM

Also, is there anything that can be done to cut back on the "my bike won't start" posts?
I would like to think that the members of this board know the proper steps and research to take for the really basic stuff...

Spiderman 07-28-2008 02:52 PM

この停止新参者intro' sか。

lowlife_slim 07-28-2008 02:53 PM

makes sense, but i hope this place doesnt go all HAMBy in the attitude department. why not just do a sub-forum for the Japanese builds?

looking forward to seeing some of the new features.

JLeather 07-28-2008 02:57 PM

I don't really see how an Evo in a Flyrite frame is any more "traditional" than a CB750. The Denver's post was one the best I've read on here ever. Is shit like that gonna get auto-locked to be replaced by "look what I did with my Buell engine"? I'll still hang here as well, but I too liked seeing the real honest 70's jap stuff. Yeah, the XS650 bobber stuff is outta hand, but sometimes there's good shit too.

magnet 07-28-2008 02:58 PM

I don't have anything against jap crap.. err i mean jap bikes :-) .. some quality engineering and technical machine work went into them.

But ...

"traditionally influenced Euro and American bikes only" i think is a good idea..

.. but the emphasis on "traditionally influenced" shouldn't be taken lightly.

Matt289 07-28-2008 02:58 PM

EDIT:
Looks like some of you were typing the same thing as I was. Sorry for the repeat.

I know some one is going to ask it so I might as well stick my neck out and do it.

" While we will let a few Jap based threads roll every now and then, we are no longer going to host the majority of them."

Being a owner of a Triumph and a Japper cycle I just am wondering whats going to make a Jap thread worthy or not? I have seen a few well thought out builds such as
this :
https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ight=yup+xs650

which judging by the post counts of it, people don't mind seeing a well done cycle.

But I do get annoyed with the "Yamaha into a captain america" , XS400 CDI questions and such...

Just wondering if there is some guide lines for anyone with a Japper in the garage as well, or did I pretty much sum it up?

Thank you
Matt289

ol_scratch 07-28-2008 02:58 PM

There are a thousand and one forums out there for Japanese and Japanese custom bikes. And while I would chime in occassionally on a cool one, it was really getting to drown out why I came here a lot in the past. Truth is there aren't too many boards that mixed history and bikes and true customizing - and that is what drew me to it originally, and glad to see it going back.

Now somebody mention they were looking for a cool Brit project they didn't have to mortgage their house - check my BSA classified. :)

littlebike 07-28-2008 02:59 PM

Welcomed Changes, THANK YOU

mad750 07-28-2008 03:01 PM

The change should be interesting. I'll be here regardless and I believe this change up is necessary. Let the shake down begin!!!

Scorcher 07-28-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt289 (Post 371220)
I know some one is going to ask it so I might as well stick my neck out and do it.

" While we will let a few Jap based threads roll every now and then, we are no longer going to host the majority of them."

Being a owner of a Triumph and a Japper cycle I just am wondering whats going to make a Jap thread worthy or not? I have seen a few well thought out builds such as
this :
https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ight=yup+xs650

which judging by the post counts of it, people don't mind seeing a well done cycle.

But I do get annoyed with the "Yamaha into a captain america" , XS400 CDI questions and such...

Just wondering if there is some guide lines for anyone with a Japper in the garage as well, or did I pretty much sum it up?

Thank you
Matt289

Good question,

The bike will have to be well built/engineered, something that took a lot of time with attention to detail.

If its a stoker with a wassel tank, ebay bates seat you can forget it.

-Jason

2_wheel_nation 07-28-2008 03:05 PM

i find it interesting that there are people on this board who don't know that cb750's are "traditional" in the chopper scene. i'm sure this is what Ryan is getting at when he says some jap bikes will be allowed. ed roth was chopping them the second they came out. viragos, kz's, xs's, rebels, intruders, savages, on the other hand...

HD48FL 07-28-2008 03:05 PM

Sounds good!

chopperking 07-28-2008 03:07 PM

good call. thanks.

CShroom 07-28-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2_wheel_nation (Post 371227)
i find it interesting that there are people on this board who don't know that cb750's are "traditional" in the chopper scene. i'm sure this is what Ryan is getting at when he says some jap bikes will be allowed. ed roth was chopping them the second they came out. viragos, kz's, xs's, rebels, intruders, savages, on the other hand...

I don't think it is so much that. More of "what is going to be classified as traditional?" I mean, what will the cut off style be? 40's, 50's, 60's, etc. There are a few folks on the board that think that anything that was built in Japan should be outlawed. I just want to know if what I am trying to (re)build here is an acceptable bike, or if I should take that stuff elsewhere.

Kinda makes you wonder when the whole thing is set up in such an arbitrary way. What stops one mod from saying that a bike is worthwhile and another from saying, "fuck that <model style, country> bike, it is gone."?

Yamaha_chop 07-28-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorcher (Post 371226)
The bike will have to be well built/engineered, something that took a lot of time with attention to detail. -Jason

I spent almost two years building mine. In my mind chopper sites were more about the differing forms of fabrication and skills that go into completing works of imagination, not so much about the origin of the bikes.

I like this site, and I too get sick of people posting basically stock bikes saying all the plans they have for them, then you never hear from them again. I think a better guideline would be that you at least had to have a fair amount of the project started before you can post up, not just a couple pictures of your crappy stock bike. And that goes for any Mfg. not just jap bikes.

If nothing else, I'd have to hope that you guys would agree to add a jap sub-forum. From the prevailing attitude so far that doesn't seem likely though.

Again, I appreciate this board being here, and giving me a chance to show what I've done.

Sky