The Jockey Journal Board

The Jockey Journal Board (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions & Suggestions (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Jockey Journal: Direction & Changes (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40147)

=JL= 07-29-2008 07:49 AM

Re: The Jockey Journal: Direction & Changes

Unlike some, I didn't come here to see "all kinds of bikes." I can go down to the local cafe for that. I come here for a specific reason.
Also, there is no outright ban on Japanese bikes, read it again if you think there is.

gearheadchoppers 07-29-2008 07:56 AM

would you concider if one (or 2) was stepping up to rule that board?
i mean there are lots of good jap bike treats on here.......4 example the xs650.........
maybe one or 2 guy's can rule it...........

not me..........i ride/work on american, european, jap bikes what ever, bikes is bikes for me. but i don't have the time or skills to run a board.
i come hear to read what i like (don't look at the rest) post what i like (that will suit this forum) and reply to what i can tell about/explain (tech stuff)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 371186)
We don't have one planned at the moment.

As for Evos, we don't mind seeing an evo every now and then at all...

2_wheel_nation 07-29-2008 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudehog (Post 371567)
No...just some tight assed girls clothes

tough words from a trophy whore!!!

seriously though, all you guys saying "i have a metric bike, so i guess i'm not welcome", no one said you weren't welcome. no one said "get lost jap-bike guy". what was said was:

"I think we all realize that there is some great Jap based threads out there. However, The Jockey Journal needs more focus and less traffic at this stage in its life and we are hoping that narrowing the topics down does that for us."

no one said you were a lesser being because you chopped a metric bike. no one said you lack style or vision or talent. no one said your bike was an unworthy POS.

JLeather 07-29-2008 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2_wheel_nation (Post 371680)
no one said you were a lesser being because you chopped a metric bike. no one said you lack style or vision or talent. no one said your bike was an unworthy POS.

If you think no one said that, then you must have skipped a few pages of this thread.

pinupchk 07-29-2008 08:30 AM

I have been loving this site for awhile now because the people on here are extremely knowledgeable and I have learned shit tons just treading through the threads...sadly, I think with some of these new changes some valuable contributors may be lost.

I am also thinking a seperate area for events may be in order, there are tons of event postings (I am guilty of this) and I think it is important to have them, but some might not want to have to weed through them...

JLeather 07-29-2008 08:31 AM

And I don't think it gets any more vague than "traditionally inspired". Which "tradition" are you all after? The 60's tradition of spending a mortgage in paint/gold plating/drugs so you can even look at your bike? Maybe the 50's tradition of building it in you garage with your own tools, no catalog, etc? Most of the bikes that this board was originally dedicated to were founded on the "tradition" that stock sucked, so start cutting useless shit off. Now, if all you want is a board where people copy the way bikes were done in the 60's then fine, but you can pick up old chopper mags and see that shit all day long. I came here to see innovation on an old theme. To see how people take the flaked-out 60's style and apply it to _______ (insert bike here). I am also sick of the "My (blank) won't run right" or "Check out my new bars and seat on my '04 VTX". BUT, if you decide that nothing new is worthy of posting here anymore you guys are just gonna go in a circle, patting each other on the back for every chrome-framed 60's ripoff of a cool pan.

TurboRoadster 07-29-2008 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Benway (Post 371181)
Angels sing.

Thanks.

hahahhaa, perfect:D

2_wheel_nation 07-29-2008 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLeather (Post 371687)
If you think no one said that, then you must have skipped a few pages of this thread.

well if you want to cry about a couple people who hate jap stuff no matter what, then go ahead. it's not the general sentiment of the owners, mods or the majority of members though.

ol_scratch 07-29-2008 08:37 AM

I think there are some people in this thread that need to get a few things straight.

Number one - stop referring to it as a "chopper site". There's a whole host of other plentitude to be found, and its that limiting view that takes things down the shitter as it is.

Number two - stop with the "I worked hard on my Shadow, and put my sweat into it and now you say its not valid". That's fine and kudos for your determination, but guess what this site is not about that, AS HAS BEEN STATED BY THE OWNERS. They are after all the ones paying the bills and the ones that allow us here. We've gotten so used to this entitlement ideology that we think it extends everywhere. Don't like - be just as determined as your project adn start your own forum.

Number three - just like the HAMB, a big part of this site is learning your history. Watering it down with personal pud smacking, detracts away from the vast amount of history and knowledge that could pass through here. Like - ever here of a Bosch shaft driven magneto, and how you can use it on just about anything. No? Well maybe you will.

Number four - I reiterate, Stop Bitching.....

gearheadchoppers 07-29-2008 08:51 AM

and yes this is no place to find out why your bike ain't running........lots of stuff like that on the net (google is yur friend)
and i think ppl asking stuff like that have to look in the real world and find biker budies to teach them the ropes...........but these days ppl go sit at the screen and aspect with in a split second other ppl will them them what it takes how much it will cost and how long it will take.

i found out stuff in my pre internet time...........wen i was younger..........real ppl can teach you more than you will ever find out online.

caffeine 07-29-2008 09:19 AM

If you have to ask.......

2_wheel_nation 07-29-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caffeine (Post 371716)
If you have to ask.......

bingo.

GaugedFreak 07-29-2008 09:20 AM

Sad news. This place was full of great XS650 builders and bikes. Oh well, guess I'll just have to stick over at www.bobbertalk.com since we aren't wanted here anymore.

I can respect what you're trying to do.

boondocker 07-29-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2_wheel_nation (Post 371718)
bingo.

yup.

bustedlifter 07-29-2008 09:37 AM

Ryan's board, his rules. Of the people who say they can't afford a Harley,Triumph,BSA etc. I wonder how many of them really want one. How often do they go out and drop a bunch of money on booze,food ,tattoos, concerts or movies?

Kev Nemo 07-29-2008 09:41 AM

I've seen it mentioned in several of the responses that a large part of the push for a more focused/traditional Jockey is that alot of the more skilled/talented builders have stopped posting due to all the Japanese/new stuff being posted...

uhm...

maybe they're in the garage building stuff instead of hanging out on boards?

just a theory.:D

Irishman 07-29-2008 09:47 AM

well, I haven't been here that long. But when I saw a guy post some pics of his pretty much spot on 70's chopper, https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26156 and he got responses about His appearance and his weight etc., I had a good idea that this place was way too cool and hip for me. I'm glad some one finally stated what this place was about and who it was for. As many people have said there many metric/jap friendly Boards such as the Horse board, where every bike is welcome, and I'm sure many of the good people including myself will find a comfortable spot to post our shitty less than worthy junk. FUCK THIS PLACE, IT'S BULLSHIT, I'M OUT OF HERE

4t64rd 07-29-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol_scratch (Post 371221)
There are a thousand and one forums out there for Japanese and Japanese custom bikes. And while I would chime in occassionally on a cool one, it was really getting to drown out why I came here a lot in the past. Truth is there aren't too many boards that mixed history and bikes and true customizing - and that is what drew me to it originally, and glad to see it going back.

Now somebody mention they were looking for a cool Brit project they didn't have to mortgage their house - check my BSA classified. :)

You'd think there would be... I haven't found them, plenty of soon to be dead guys talking about 'busa's though.

Looks like I'm out...

Tman 07-29-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishman (Post 371739)
well, I haven't been here that long. But when I saw a guy post some pics of his pretty much spot on 70's chopper, https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26156 and he got responses about His appearance and his weight etc., I had a good idea that this place was way too cool and hip for me. I'm glad some one finally stated what this place was about and who it was for. As many people have said there many metric/jap friendly Boards such as the Horse board, where every bike is welcome, and I'm sure many of the good people including myself will find a comfortable spot to post our shitty less than worthy junk. FUCK THIS PLACE, IT'S BULLSHIT, I'M OUT OF HERE

read that whole thread, all I saw was good natured ribbing and folks that dug his bike. Until I came to your remark, pure negativity, have fun on those other Boards.

Trent 07-29-2008 10:24 AM

I like the idea of an events section as well..