The Jockey Journal Board

The Jockey Journal Board (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Board (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rigid Gilera Racer - #2 project (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181714)

Path Thirteen 08-22-2015 08:22 PM

Rigid Gilera Racer - #2 project

8 Attachment(s)
Hello Friends, Well, Im Patrick from Argentina. I had another build here in the Jockey Journal that was about my first bike/first build ( https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=94985 )
This is the finished bike.
Attachment 189706
Well, if you read my other thread youll find out that i had no idea what i was doing, and at first i went into a "Rigid Racer" set up, then crashed the bike against a house, took out the damn suicidal girder and the build turned into a more "chopper/bobber" thing, I felt bad because i loved how the bike looked before the crash, so i had another Gilera that i bought for parts laying around in my garage, being bored about having a finished bike, decided to make another rigid racer style bike.

Started by making another frame
Attachment 189498
Attachment 189506
Attachment 189514
Attachment 189522
Attachment 189530
Attachment 189538
Attachment 189546

Path Thirteen 08-22-2015 08:27 PM

Re: Rigid Gilera Racer - #2 project

6 Attachment(s)
Both Wheels are 19" once the bike was on the floor i realized the girder had a negative rake, and i didn't liked the stance of the bike, so had to do new lower rockers to fix the problem, heres the "before" stance and one of the rear engine brackets
Attachment 189554
Attachment 189562
Attachment 189570
Attachment 189578
Attachment 189586
Attachment 189594

Path Thirteen 08-22-2015 08:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is with the new longer lower rockers, stance is much better and more pleasant for the eyes, that was driving me nuts.
Attachment 189602
Made some bars to move the bike around the shop
Attachment 189610
And the mock up of the seat made in cardboard
Attachment 189618

Path Thirteen 08-22-2015 08:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Started to do the seat in sheet metal, is a little different from the cardboard mock up
Attachment 189626
Attachment 189634
with a fairing, but i dont believe im using it on the bike.
Attachment 189642

Path Thirteen 08-22-2015 08:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Today i finished the tank, is the same tank of the other photos but cut on the top to match the frame and seat line, I decided to make a mini split tank
Attachment 189650
Attachment 189658

This is how its looking today, i finished the tanks brakets and bungs but i didnt take pictures. Hope you guys like it!
Attachment 189666

reverb 08-22-2015 08:49 PM

...en esta última foto es donde se ve bien parada.
El guardabarro trasero va a ir reforzado? por la vibración, digo.

-Capaz a fin de año termino de armar mi proyecto y pensaba ir hasta BA en la moto (ya he ido con mi 48 500)
por qué zona estás? se podría pasar?

Gracias

Path Thirteen 08-22-2015 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverb (Post 1720282)
...en esta última foto es donde se ve bien parada.
El guardabarro trasero va a ir reforzado? por la vibración, digo.

-Capaz a fin de año termino de armar mi proyecto y pensaba ir hasta BA en la moto (ya he ido con mi 48 500)
por qué zona estás? se podría pasar?

Gracias

Hola !! Si va un guardabarro abajo de eso, igualmente tengo que ver si queda firme, sino agregar alguna parte estructural. Estoy en San Martin, Chiflame y te venis, abrazo!!

OleDirtyDoc 08-22-2015 09:18 PM

Sweet Gilera.I like the fairing myself

JAWS 08-22-2015 10:33 PM

Oh boy, another one to watch from path thirteen.

Lester 08-23-2015 02:47 AM

Hey Path13, good to see you back. Nice frame, so you are going to give the girder another go huh? Maybe with heavier springs it will be better/safer for braking ect.

Nice work so far keep it up, I really enjoy odd-ball builds.

Lester

crush1776 08-23-2015 07:41 AM

Very cool, subscribed!

SxExCx 08-24-2015 12:37 PM

Looks great!

Path Thirteen 08-25-2015 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc (Post 1720298)
Sweet Gilera.I like the fairing myself

Thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAWS (Post 1720330)
Oh boy, another one to watch from path thirteen.

Hello JAWS!! the girder revenge !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lester (Post 1720394)
Hey Path13, good to see you back. Nice frame, so you are going to give the girder another go huh? Maybe with heavier springs it will be better/safer for braking ect.

Nice work so far keep it up, I really enjoy odd-ball builds.

Lester

Hello man, good to see you too, thanks, yes im gonna use the girder again, i where studying some girders, and im gonna use a friction damper, and maybe other coils to pull from the upper tree to the bottom tree, like the old BSA girders, Im not sure about the main sprint as it is a biconical spring and the attachment to the lower tree is very weird, but hope to find out a way to make it less dangerous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crush1776 (Post 1720426)
Very cool, subscribed!

Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by SxExCx (Post 1721114)
Looks great!

Thanks!

Path Thirteen 08-25-2015 06:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Today i trimmed the tail of the bike to match the radius of the wheel, and started to make the bottom of the seat to hide all the electronic stuff there, also changed the rear tire to one with the same size as the one im going to use there. For me now it looks way better with the tail trimmed. Hope you guys like it.

Im not good with metalshaping as i never did anything before, just some minor stuff, so if anyone have some tips or critics, all are welcome.

Attachment 189898
Attachment 189906
Attachment 189914
Attachment 189922
Attachment 189930

Lester 08-26-2015 02:47 PM

Looks good, keep going at it!

I have an old side valve BSA girder if you need some details and pictures let me know.

Lester

Rasmussen 08-27-2015 04:28 PM

It looks great, and I'm looking forward to following your build, BUT (and I hate saying this) you got the trail thing messed up. Longer lower rockers gives you less, not more trail. Sure the stance looks way better in the last photo, with the frontwheel kicked out a bit, but you really should have done it by putting the frame back in the jig and moving the headstock out a couple of degrees.

Path Thirteen 08-28-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lester (Post 1722554)
Looks good, keep going at it!

I have an old side valve BSA girder if you need some details and pictures let me know.

Lester

Hey Lester, thanks man, send me some pictures if you have!!

Path Thirteen 08-28-2015 11:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasmussen (Post 1723410)
It looks great, and I'm looking forward to following your build, BUT (and I hate saying this) you got the trail thing messed up. Longer lower rockers gives you less, not more trail. Sure the stance looks way better in the last photo, with the frontwheel kicked out a bit, but you really should have done it by putting the frame back in the jig and moving the headstock out a couple of degrees.

Thanks Rasmussen! im glad you like the build. Why you hate to say that, man thats why i love to post my build here, because i was unaware of this, i knew there was some kind of problem but did not thought really much about this, now you mentioned it, i was trying to avoid to cut the headstock because its a pain in the ass, i used less rake than i used in my other frame, and by that time i used the same forks but never realized that couple of negative degrees rake this fork has, Now, if you can help me to figure out how to fix this issue i whould apreciate that.

This was the same forks on my previous build, it had more rake on the headstock
Attachment 190274

Well i made a quick draw on cad to check.
Attachment 190282
measured from the headstock to the centerline of the wheel it has 4.7 cm, less than 2 inches of trail, but measured from the center of the forks gives me about about 5 inches of trail

i was thinking to redo the forks with tubes , what if i slanted it a bit foward to keep the wheel out and just put the original lower rocker to keep the girder with his original geometry, just like a springer should do with longer rockers, or to fit the same long rockers on the top? also i can cut the length of the fork a little bit about 2 inches, or extend it ?
Sorry im really lost here, worst case scenario i should cut the headstock that is a pain in the ass, but it has to be done.

Rasmussen 08-28-2015 12:11 PM

Hi PT. Glad you took it the way it was meant, not like I was trying to be an ass:)
I can see you definitely know how to measure trail:). The trail is what you've got at the blue marking in the bottom of the photo, marked 47 (suppose that is mm's?)
I was wrong, sorry about that, you do have trail. I did my best to measure it on your previous photo, and got it to be negative, my bad.
Still 47 mm's or less than 2" is a bit to little imo. I have about the same amount on my BSA. It'll run just fine, but when I hit the front brake the girder "dips", and the trail is lessened enough to make the front end quite lively. I regret not having taken the time to make it right when building my frame. Today I would have aimed for at least 3", or better yet 4, well live and learn:D.
If you were building a chopper I would have suggested a 21" frontwheel. I went from 18 to 21, and that helped a bit:)
I can understand if you want to try it out first, and maybe correct it later if there's a problem. Putting the longer links on top, and the shorter in the bottom would probably do the trick.

Path Thirteen 08-28-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasmussen (Post 1723778)
Hi PT. Glad you took it the way it was meant, not like I was trying to be an ass:)
I can see you definitely know how to measure trail:). The trail is what you've got at the blue marking in the bottom of the photo, marked 47 (suppose that is mm's?)
I was wrong, sorry about that, you do have trail. I did my best to measure it on your previous photo, and got it to be negative, my bad.
Still 47 mm's or less than 2" is a bit to little imo. I have about the same amount on my BSA. It'll run just fine, but when I hit the front brake the girder "dips", and the trail is lessened enough to make the front end quite lively. I regret not having taken the time to make it right when building my frame. Today I would have aimed for at least 3", or better yet 4, well live and learn:D.
If you were building a chopper I would have suggested a 21" front wheel. I went from 18 to 21, and that helped a bit:)
I can understand if you want to try it out first, and maybe correct it later if there's a problem. Putting the longer links on top, and the shorter in the bottom would probably do the trick.

Haha, of course man, im just an amateur builder and i freaked out when you pointed that, but ill never take that as you being an ass, you where trying to help! now knowing that is fine im fine too!! but i still know having not same length rockers can cause problem, ill see how i fix that, anyways this is more like a "drag" motorcycle so im not concern much in cornering, and its a piece of shit and slow engine so i don't believe ill have much wheel flop, im gonna test it like this then see if i change something, im mocking all the bike so i can change anything later. Thanks helping with this!! Have a nice day, and show me some pics of your BSA!! Look for me on facebook or Instagram if you want.