The Jockey Journal Board

The Jockey Journal Board (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Board (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Left twist drill bits? (https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168057)

Mike Britton 12-26-2014 06:44 PM

Left twist drill bits?
 

So I pulled off my Bonnie's primary cover and discovered a bolt on the bottom that has broken itself off. It's too flush with the case to back out with vice grips.
I hear you guys talk about left twist drill bits, where do I get such things?

Also, I have three primary holes that that are broken out. Can I build them up with JB weld and tap them, or will I have to split the cases and have them tig'ed up?
Thanks, Mike

ob1quixote 12-26-2014 07:09 PM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

Here they are at Amazon!


Mike Britton 12-26-2014 07:25 PM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

^^^^Cool! Thanks, ob1q !!

flatman 12-26-2014 07:51 PM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

drop a nut on it and mig or arc that sucker on. might take a time ot two to do but usually works 80% of the time, my 2 cents

JAWS 12-26-2014 08:56 PM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

^^^ ditto! Done it like this for years. BMW rear water passage bolts on the O T v8's no other way to fly.

Also, tighten first then back out. This will help since it bound and broke when removing. Dont get discouraged when the welds dont hold a few times. A hand full of nuts..

old.wrench 12-26-2014 09:06 PM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

Mike,
I've never found any type of epoxy thread repair that will take any substantial torque. That includes the stuff like the "locktite thread repair" crap, and JB weld.

Geo.

johnbul 12-26-2014 09:13 PM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatman (Post 1581881)
drop a nut on it and mig or arc that sucker on. might take a time ot two to do but usually works 80% of the time, my 2 cents

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAWS (Post 1581905)
^^^ ditto! Done it like this for years. BMW rear water passage bolts on the O T v8's no other way to fly.

Also, tighten first then back out. This will help since it bound and broke when removing. Dont get discouraged when the welds dont hold a few times. A hand full of nuts..

all of this.

Tony the torch 12-27-2014 12:52 AM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

I have a set of reverse drill bits from the Snap-on truck, most times all it takes to get a broken off bolt out is to just drill on it with a reverse cut bit and it comes right out.

if that doesn't work then, yes....put a nut on it and mig weld it...

Toolmkr 12-27-2014 01:08 AM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

Left hand twist drills are commonly available at any industrial tool supply house. They are sometimes known as screw machine drills.

'59 12-27-2014 02:12 AM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

I know the reverse drill bits as easy outs, find them very brittle so check they are started dead square, the mig on a nut has got to be one of the best tips I've picked up from JJ and if you have access and kit i'd go for that as 1st option.

Rem 12-27-2014 04:30 AM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

Welding a washer and/or nut to the broken stud is my favourite method, and I have a pretty good success rate. It probably would have been a 100% success but I had one recently where a couple of M6 exhaust studs had been broken in a 750 Kwak: one came out OK but all that came out of the second one was the end of the EZ-Out that the owner had broken off in there :)

Mike Britton 12-27-2014 06:24 AM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

I'm in the process of readying the engine lump to go on one of Steve's stands on the work bench. That was why the primary cover was coming off, to trim some weight by removing the whole clutch assembly so I could pick the lump up. The head has to come off for thread repair, and I have to address these broken out holes on the primary side. I'm going to find a pro to TIG the holes back up for me, I'll get him to flush out the broken bolt.
Add to this that I still haven't gotten the oil drain bolt out of the bottom of the case. It's really in there!
One of the things I learned from my dad was to never be ashamed to go to a pro when you are above your head. The more I hear from you guys, the more I think I'm over my head on removing this bolt.
I can assemble an engine, I'm not a machinist. Nothing that can't be repaired, just more money. Thanks, guys. I'm kind of thinking like a doctor here," First, do no harm."
Guess I can't complain considering what I paid for a running Bonnie with good papers.
Never done a Triumph engine. I'm looking forward to the process. Thanks again. Mike

thecarfarmer 12-27-2014 11:07 PM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Britton (Post 1582073)
...One of the things I learned from my dad was to never be ashamed to go to a pro when you are above your head. The more I hear from you guys, the more I think I'm over my head on removing this bolt.
I can assemble an engine, I'm not a machinist. Nothing that can't be repaired, just more money. Thanks, guys. I'm kind of thinking like a doctor here," First, do no harm."
...

Yeah, my first year as a mechanic taught me to ask questions... a lot more shameful to screw something up because I get my ego involved than to go to someone who's fought that particular fight before!

Bill

Daddy Boy 12-27-2014 11:58 PM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

I did the weld a nut trick at work and even though the nut was new it still has lubricant or zinc, drill off the threads and clean surface of broken stud/bolt for a 'first time' weld fusion.

76shuvlinoff 12-28-2014 07:23 AM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

Back in the day (factory maintenance here) there was a high tensile low splatter stick rod that we used to get broken studs out. Set a nut on it then build a stud up into the nut with the rod. I have not used or seen it for years but at the time the stuff was priceless for pieces that were too big to get into a drill press or mill. A lot of times we could just build a tit up on the stud and grab it with vise grips.

Nowadays y'all got fancy MIG welders and nuclear ovens and shit... :cool:

Racepres 12-29-2014 08:05 PM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76shuvlinoff (Post 1582897)
Back in the day (factory maintenance here) there was a high tensile low splatter stick rod that we used to get broken studs out. Set a nut on it then build a stud up into the nut with the rod. I have not used or seen it for years but at the time the stuff was priceless for pieces that were too big to get into a drill press or mill. A lot of times we could just build a tit up on the stud and grab it with vise grips.

Nowadays y'all got fancy MIG welders and nuclear ovens and shit... :cool:

7018 or 7024?? or Something exotic??
Good info to have.

Edit;
Especially since I aint got no IG [m nor T], and my "special" oven has blowed a fuse apparrently!!!!!

Unkl Ian 12-29-2014 09:37 PM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

If you try arc or MIG, use liquid soap as an anti-spatter barrier.

Works well, washes off with water.

Mike Britton 12-30-2014 06:20 AM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

I'm using a Lincoln 3200 HD, and because I'm the laziest guy I know, I'm using flux wire with no gas. Also, because I'm the laziest guy I know, many times my weld surfaces could be cleaner. But because I've been using Hobart 770075 Anti Spatter,even my booger welds don't have much spatter. Stuff looks like Pam, but it works, even spatter on chrome wipes off, no problem.

Tony the torch 12-30-2014 07:53 AM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

it is Pam, and Pam works great as an anti-splatter spray

JAWS 12-30-2014 08:34 AM

Re: Left twist drill bits?
 

Pam? Really? I just learned something... Thanks!!!!!!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.