: "Vintage Tire" Experiences ?

panhead-dave
03-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Looking for feedback from people who run "old style" tires, such as Coker tires on there bikes. I ride my pan 2k mikes per year - most trips under 150 miles one way, rain or shine. I like the look of the "vintage tires", but am concerned about safty, especially when the small print says, these are for antique bikes. Any body - have feedback for me ? Thanks in advance - phd

Creepinogie
03-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Not as good as a decent modern tire. Although that's only what I have heard. Avon makes some pretty good ones with a vintage tread style. I use them on my chief.

blackcrown
03-04-2008, 08:27 PM
those firestone's I'm running should make for an interesting first ride.

very interested in seeing other's responses.

Fredo
03-04-2008, 08:44 PM
I ran the firestones on last years EDR. They are NOT todays technology but they didnt toss me in a ditch either. Held up fine on dry, wet, turns and pot holes big enough to make me cry.... no realy I cried.

blackcrown
03-04-2008, 08:52 PM
there there fredo...

which firestones?

the ones I'm running?

lilbill
03-04-2008, 08:55 PM
if i'm not mistaken avon speedmasters are made with modern compounds. i wouldn't run them on a canyon carver but they work fine for me on my choppers and bagger.

Fredo
03-04-2008, 09:07 PM
there there fredo...

which firestones?

the ones I'm running?

I'm talking about the delux champions from coker. 16X5 on 16 wire wheels
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Fredo/bikes/002.jpg

blackcrown
03-04-2008, 09:09 PM
well, those aren't what I've got, but, I'll take your word on it.

if I crash, I'm blaming it all on you!

NewYorkAndy
03-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm talking about the delux champions from coker. 16X5 on 16 wire wheels
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Fredo/bikes/002.jpg

i'm running the Firestone Delux deal too. i'll hit you off with some feed back with more time on them.

Fredo- dude, i've said it before and i'll say it again, i love that fender dude!!!!!

Creepinogie
03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Are they real firestones or just fake firestones? Didn't know firestone started making MC tires again?

Bobb
03-04-2008, 10:23 PM
5.10x16 Cheng Shin copy of a vintage Firestone runs about $70 and a rear is good for about 7-8,000 miles on a heavy FLH. They balance up fine and ride great. Cornering and wet weather performance is as good as can be expected for a 30+ year old design, which means good enough for me for the price and for my 30+ year old bike. You want a vintage look, you get vintage performance. Buy something else if you ride like Rossi all the time, but otherwise they're fine.

BLACK13
03-04-2008, 10:28 PM
i am running avons on my "project".......seem good ..got dunlaps on my other bike and there shit!.........like plywood and marbles on the wet!

Fredo
03-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Andy, I just wish I knew what that fender is off of. I got it at a swap meet but the guy I bought it from didnt know where he got it either.

Creepin, You got me screaming on if they are made by Firestone or not. All I can tell you for sure is that Coker sells them. Maybe theres a dealer on here that can answer it for us?

yard man
03-05-2008, 12:48 AM
I thought coker made those? They say firestone and are readily available on the coker site. Now if only coker would remake the 2.75 speedmaster :(

sLowrider
03-05-2008, 01:27 AM
I've used Avons before and they ride good. Plenty of grip for a vintage design. I've got a Goodyear TWW on the rear now and it'll spin up pulling away from a junction in slightly damp conditions - on a 45!:eek:

Cheers Johnny

2_wheel_nation
03-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Are they real firestones or just fake firestones? Didn't know firestone started making MC tires again?

believe they're being re-popped by coker under the firestone name.

scraper
03-05-2008, 07:22 AM
im running a deluxe champ repop rear and an avon speedmaster front & the handling, acceleration & braking feel spot on. i drag the shit out of my pegs & pipes in the corners (ie.-screen name) & the tires stick like glue. im a big fan of this combo for performance and looks.

i also think handling isnt really only reliant on the tires - the bikes geometry, weight, weight distribution & also the rider has a shit load to do with it too. you could throw moto GP slicks on the most whacked out custom bike & it could still squirm & wobble all over the place.

Trent
03-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Avon MK IIs rule.

Kuda
03-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Avon MK IIs rule.

+1 Generally get about 16-18K out of a rear, still working on the first front (Speedmaster) 3 years later (but it's gettin' a bit thin now). And I ride pretty damn hard, too, never had a problem chasin' modern bikes in the twisties, rain, sleet, and yeah, even snow a time or two (but I don't make a habit of that or anything). The only thing I don't like about the MK II's is that they generally take a bit more weight to balance than I'd really like. But they do balance up, and ride pretty damn well. That super tall sidewall is all the suspension I've got back there, running anywhere from 25-30 psi they ride pretty damn well...

-Kuda
'49 panchop

Coco
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm going to give this thread a bump hoping to get a few more opinions.

Any more reports on the Firestone Deluxe or even the diamond tread Coker? I've been searching through threads on the JJ and have been finding reports of them being not so good.

I'm also looking at an avon Roadrunner. They have a vintage style tread but they seem to grip ok. I had a pair that came on my Commando when I bought it and although they were worn, they gripped pretty good. The combo I'm leaning towards buying is the 19" Roadrunner rear and 21" Speedmaster MkII front.

CLASSIC CYCLES INC.
08-14-2008, 06:11 PM
those firestone's I'm running should make for an interesting first ride.

very interested in seeing other's responses.

Your running the ANS tires right??

--Andy

caschnd1
08-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I've had great results from the 5.00x16 Avon SM MK-II and the 3.00x21 Avon Speedmaster. They are about the best compromise between a tire with a vintage look and performance (meaning good predictable traction and long wear). I'm on my 5th set of these tires on my Panhead. I don't get the kind of mileage Kuda is getting. More like ~10K miles and they are done (both ends). But I have some pretty extreme heat to deal with in the summer time and I can almost watch the tread wear away in July, August, and September (day time highs often over 110F). My favorite ride, I take it a couple times a week, is a 30 mile round trip on a twisty road east of Phoenix (state Route 88). Great little "canyon" road. These tires really perform well there. Especially considering they are mounted to a long fork bike. I'm sticking with the Avons.

-Craig

notcool
08-14-2008, 08:38 PM
You want a vintage look, you get vintage performance. Buy something else if you ride like Rossi all the time, but otherwise they're fine.

BINGO

thesanchez
08-14-2008, 08:59 PM
does anyone have an actual measurement on the width of the avon mk II's 5.0x16? search turns up height, no width. wondering about chain clearance. thanks

Billdozer2
08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2219/2513115948_f708892885.jpg

My 5.0 x 16 Avon MKII's measure out at 5 1/8" in front and 5 1/4" in rear. Might be an extra 1/8" wider, calipers are not quite long enough to make sure I'm at the widest point.

I love these tires and have had them on two bikes now, they grip well, have a tall sidewall, all the things mentioned. Over about 65 on rain grooved freeways they are shady, I don't love that part about 'em. Maybe it's different on different bikes, but I've had them front and rear on this sporty and rear on a Triumph and had the same wiggle on the grooves. The sportster seems to be getting a little better now that the tires are broken in (1000 miles or so?). Hope that helps.

mctj
08-14-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm running the 5.0 x 16 Avon MK II as well and have had no problems. I've ran them in the rain quite a bit here lately and they've gripped real well.

Mine actually measures out at 4 7/8".

Bugles
08-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Dry, bumpy, twisty California and Mexico roads and a rainy New England spring and summer. No complaints whatsoever...

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/Bugles221/tri%20progress/HPIM1462.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/Bugles221/tri%20progress/HPIM1461.jpg

WhiteFox
08-14-2008, 09:53 PM
I too run a Cheng-Shin tire in the rear, No complaints with it. It just makes noise if I skid, or do a burn out, which is cool with me. Avon Speedmaster in front. I could have went with a Cheng-Shin int he front too which looks like the Speedmaster, but I wanted a good tire in the front, especially with the small contact patch.

http://www.slrvisions.com/bike/bobber/bobber30.jpg
http://www.slrvisions.com/bike/bobber/bobber28.jpg

motomotard
08-14-2008, 10:25 PM
ive been about a thousand miles on my avon mkII 4.00x18 rear and i got no complaints. better than the last cheng shin piece of crap i had.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z286/hhelberg0001/IMG_1372.jpg

zedboy
08-15-2008, 12:20 AM
does anyone have an actual measurement on the width of the avon mk II's 5.0x16? search turns up height, no width. wondering about chain clearance. thanks

The actual fitted width will depend on the rims you fit them to, but it will be in the region of 5". I've been running them pretty hard in all weathers for the last couple of years on my FX & have no complaints.

I wanted to replace the modern looking pirellis that were on my tr6r when I got it with proper looking tyres, was advised to go for Dunlop K82s/TT100s, but preferred the look of the K70s instead & went for them. I should have listened. While they look great, you can't use the bike anyway near it's full potential. They grip ok but the "square" profile make it feel very precarious when you start to push hard.
A good bike spoiled, for the time being, because I'm too clever to listen to good advice.

JayBee
08-15-2008, 12:28 AM
I am running metzler sidecar tires on my bike, they are 30+ years old and they rule.

JB

Grohidighast
08-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Another Vote for the Avon SmII and speedmaster combo. They look killer and Ride really well. I just rode ~3500 miles from arizona around colorado, south dakota, and new mexico and there's barely any wear on the tires. They handle great in the rain.

andyinvain
08-15-2008, 12:41 AM
i know its kind of a noob question but what size MKII would be about a 130 tire size? 5.00?

thanks

zedboy
08-15-2008, 01:48 AM
130 size = 130mm = 5.12", so yes.

=JL=
08-15-2008, 09:02 AM
I've given up completely on vintage style tyres. I think the 5.00x16 SM works pretty well, but the narrower ones just don't last.
We used 19 inch SMs and Dunlop K70s on a pair of Royal Enfields and went through eight rears in a year between us. All sixteen horsepower rippin em to shreds I guess. The thing that swung it though was the number of flats we kept getting, often crappy little thorns which wouldn't puncture a modern bicycle tyre.
Both Avon and Dunlop advertise a combination of modern compounds and vintage design, but if you're in the trade and you talk to them about it they'll admit that they do it because it's cheaper not to have to mix a specific "vintage" compound. Modern tyres have a thick tread with sipes cut into it, and the soft compounds this allows are (and this is just my opinion) totally unsuitable for old style block treads.
I took a pair of Cheng Shins off my Triumph and replaced them with Avon Roadriders and the transformation was incredible, allowing all sorts of knee down tomfoolery. It now looks 5% less cool but is 100% more fun.

FOE
08-15-2008, 09:38 AM
I just took some Coker made Firestone ANS tires off my bike. They were way too soft for me to ride. Made the bike feel like it was doing all these little shifts from side to side, and really made me nervous on hard corners. I ride aggressive and the tire just did not handle it. Part of it being the tread design, very knobby.

jason43
08-15-2008, 10:10 AM
I run a firestone deluxe champ 400 x 19 on the front of mine and I like it a lot. I've ridden on wet/dry conditions and have never had a problem. I am going to get the matching one for the back next payday... the only problem with them is that they are about $150+/- a pop....

Coco
08-15-2008, 10:26 AM
I think I'll play it safe for now and go with an Avon Roadrunner universal tire on the back. I've used them and know how they handle and the tread is vintage-looking enough for me. Not quite as cool as the Firestone Deluxe but cool enough as to not detract from the older look of the bike.

hillbillyhell
08-15-2008, 11:20 AM
If you're not running 16s, there is no reason to run any tire besides a K180. Killer ride and handling, and they look cool if you need the extra points.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/hillbillyhell/bsa%20project/009-1.jpg

CLASSIC CYCLES INC.
08-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Another dumbass question but what's a 110/80 - 19 in inches???

slapstick
08-15-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm running coker beck treads front and rear,all over the road,plus jockey and no front brake...makes it that much more exciting.

Jive Ass'd Turkey
08-15-2008, 05:30 PM
I have run the charlie brown firestones, the military firestones, and avon mark 2's on old bikes. The avons are maybe a little better in the rain, but none of them matter too much on a hardtail bike.

archemitis
08-15-2008, 05:41 PM
If you're not running 16s, there is no reason to run any tire besides a K180. Killer ride and handling, and they look cool if you need the extra points.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/hillbillyhell/bsa%20project/009-1.jpg
damn straight
i've got about 2500 miles on a set and i like them alot! great in the rain too(unless your running fenderless).

oh ya, good at 100 mph too!

nickle axe
08-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Another dumbass question but what's a 110/80 - 19 in inches???

~4.75/3.75 - 19.