will this welder make do - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
cutthroatxxx
Banned

Default will this welder make do

Hey guys quick question Im a noob&I tinker with cars mostly &on all mt body work I have a gasless flux core welder.I finally gor my project bike running awhilw back&wanr to hardtail it myself its a 74 aermacchi/harley sprint 350.I have a guy who will do it if I pay him but Id like tovdo it myself so I can be prouder of it.Ive used the flux core welder to make some handle bars&weld a cracked swingarm but not sure if it'll be safe?Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
Hoofhearted

Default Re: will this welder make do

220v or 110v? If it is 110v I'd say no. At least not on something I'd be betting my balls on. I can understand the pride taken in doing it yourself but the old saying "Pride cometh before the fall" might be applicable here.
Bonneville record 500 SC/PG 119.667 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PF 117.186 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBG 111.494 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBF 112.717 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PF 128.703 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PG 121.553 mph
El Mirage record 650 SC/PG 130.224 mph
Old 03-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
cutthroatxxx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
220v or 110v? If it is 110v I'd say no. At least not on something I'd be betting my balls on. I can understand the pride taken in doing it yourself but the old saying "Pride cometh before the fall" might be applicable here.
Its 110..yeah thinking maybe I should have him do it or...buy a diffrent welder not sure.I just did a search on google&saw someone said to tac it all around&grind tac&grind.&not to run a bead on the hardtail because of warping.That dosnt sound right to me.But like I said Im a noob.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
worn

You could still build your own hardtail, just tacking it together with your welder and then have it welded up.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
CarlLaFong

I did a number of suspension swaps on F-100 Fords (Volare K members). I used my old Hobart 110 and ran NR211 flux core wire. It ran hot enough to get full penetration. None of them ever failed, that I am aware of. I am a certified welder, so my skills may be a bit better than yours, but, done properly, 110V flux core is fine. Frame tubing is thin and you would never crank up a 220V unit anywhere near the maximum amperage of your 110V unit to weld light material like that.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
cutthroatxxx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by worn View Post
You could still build your own hardtail, just tacking it together with your welder and then have it welded up.
Thats an idea
Old 03-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
cutthroatxxx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLaFong View Post
I did a number of suspension swaps on F-100 Fords (Volare K members). I used my old Hobart 110 and ran NR211 flux core wire. It ran hot enough to get full penetration. None of them ever failed, that I am aware of. I am a certified welder, so my skills may be a bit better than yours, but, done properly, 110V flux core is fine. Frame tubing is thin and you would never crank up a 220V unit anywhere near the maximum amperage of your 110V unit to weld light material like that.
Im looking for a 79 f series now.Thanks for the info...what blows is my grandpa used to build bikes for a living&had tons of stuff in mags etc but I was still wet around my ears when he was doing it to learn much&my old man went to school for welding&did it for years but hes pretty banged up&cant get around much he died once&said he cant remember much.So Im reading all I can.Just hit a score found a tube full of old bsa dealer posters gpa had in his shop
Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #8
Black Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by worn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx View Post
Thats an idea
Yeah definitely an idea.

It's the good compromise between doing it yourself and making sure it's finished fine and safe.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
Lloyd T. 96 pan

Flux core is not as strong of weld as hard wire with argon or a co 2 mix. Flux core is a milder steel . Use .026 hard wire with the argon for a much stronger and cleaner weld.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
ralphiejantz

you should probably not use a gasless flux core for the hardtail
in the hands of an experienced welder it probably could get by but I wouldnt chance it

to be honest I wouldnt really trust anything for a frame etc. unless it was tig welded
I know mig welding can be done properly and is strong but you just dont get that great consistently with a mig as you do with a tig

if you cant tig I would maybe tack everything up nice and good with your fluxcore and bring it to someone that can tig weld
Biltwell Inc
Lowbrow Customs
Buchanans Spoke and Rim
Wargasser Speed Shop
Universal Vintage Tires
Paughco
V-Twin MFG.
Fab Kevin
Colony Machine
Morris Magneto
Baker Drivetrain
Boyle Custom Moto Air Cleaners
Andrews
Cycle Electric
Old 03-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
Tre900

Send a message via MSN to Tre900

I have recently taken a course at a local comm. college and highly recommend it. Even with that, and now some serious time under the hood with "real welders" I would agree with everything mentioned above. Tack it, send it out AND ask the welder if you can watch and check out his gear.
(_)=='(_)
Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
Larry T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphiejantz View Post
..........to be honest I wouldnt really trust anything for a frame etc. unless it was tig welded
I've seen lots of hardtails stick welded. Folks used to gas weld racing frames too.
Paughco frames are MIG welded now days.
Lots of options, but you need to know what you're doing.
I just looked at my Lincoln 110 mig. It says .250+ with flux core wire. I wouldn't do it (see my "know what you're doing" statement), but the machine is capable.
Larry T

My old Panhead build: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9455

Last edited by Larry T; 03-14-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
J_F_Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphiejantz View Post
to be honest I wouldnt really trust anything for a frame etc. unless it was tig welded
I know mig welding can be done properly and is strong but you just dont get that great consistently with a mig as you do with a tig
NASCAR requires it's chassis to be MIG, and not TIG welded. They require this because unlike with MIG welding, it's far easier to make a very pretty TIG weld that's unsound than it is with a MIG, and they don't have time to Xray everyone's welds.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_F_Byrd View Post
NASCAR requires it's chassis to be MIG, and not TIG welded. They require this because unlike with MIG welding, it's far easier to make a very pretty TIG weld that's unsound than it is with a MIG, and they don't have time to Xray everyone's welds.
I am sure you are correct but-
In my experience I have found exactly the opposite to be true.

Also, if you tack it with flux core and bring it to someone to TIG it. Flux really fucks with the puddle, he/she prolly won't be happy.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #15
cutthroatxxx
Banned

Whoa you guys rock,thanks for all of the info.Im gonna go ahead&tac it&have some one tig it I guess since that seems to be what most agree on.So I dont end up walking funnt how much should I look @paing for that?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
Olgraybeard

I have been hobby welding for 35 years never had a important weld fail. Ask questions read books and DO IT you will never do a good weld without practice. frames have been brazed, gas welded, stick welded, mig and tig weld for years and good welds on frames don't fail. Grab your Balls practice a little and weld your frame or be a pussy sell your welder and pay someone to do it like a girly NOB would do. My 2 cents, now I'll stand back (have I lit the fire). Better get a electric starter and trike wheels for that bike (it could be dangerous)
Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
cutthroatxxx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgraybeard View Post
I have been hobby welding for 35 years never had a important weld fail. Ask questions read books and DO IT you will never do a good weld without practice. frames have been brazed, gas welded, stick welded, mig and tig weld for years and good welds on frames don't fail. Grab your Balls practice a little and weld your frame or be a pussy sell your welder and pay someone to do it like a girly NOB would do. My 2 cents, now I'll stand back (have I lit the fire). Better get a electric starter and trike wheels for that bike (it could be dangerous)
But it already has an electric starter Well guess I need to do some reading before I decide then.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #18
nigel

Quote:
Grab your Balls practice a little and weld your frame or be a pussy sell your welder and pay someone to do it like a girly NOB would do. My 2 cents, now I'll stand back (have I lit the fire). Better get a electric starter and trike wheels for that bike (it could be dangerous)
Yea!!
Learn how to weld...................on your frame
The potential of catastophic weld failures on frames is a good way to learn. Ask this guy

Last edited by nigel; 03-14-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
Dr. Benway
Mod Squad

Quote:
never had a important weld fail.
So...what qualifies as an unimportant weld?

Guy above should've spent less $ on flashy Biblical paint and more on fabrication.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #20
kickstarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post
Yea!!
Learn how to weld on................... your frame
The potential of catastophic weld failures on frames is a good way to learn. Ask this guy

Seriously, I'd like to know more about that frame failure. Who did the weld and what method was used.